Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy Hungwell's Training Journey

Default Guy Hungwell's Training Journey

Ok, am starting back at the gym this weekend. Was supposed to start a couple of weeks ago but ended up with a pulled muscle around my neck and sunstroke doing some extra gigs moving and roofing(you can figure out which one where I got sunstroke lol)

Anyways since I have been off for I believe since around the end of June, which does not really matter because the last several months have been not as consistent period as I was from Sept 2015 through to Feb/March 2017.

I am at the stage of my life where I don't give a shit about what I lift. That being said it does not mean I will not challenge myself. As well I also have to realize that I will be 48 next week so it is necessary that I train like a pussy period the next several weeks until I find my grounds. At first I was hesitant to lay it down from the beginning but I have decided to say fuck it and see how the progression of muscle memory, strength etc goes.

My gym is as I mentioned the oldest gym in Toronto to my knowledge. It has a mix of old school pieces and some newer atlantis pieces. Not the biggest place but friendly, old fashioned and they even allow chalk and to be yourself, whether you are just there for your fit needs or are hardcore, as long as you respect the people and the place.

I will take pictures of some of the equipment as I go along because some are cool versions of xyz exercises, and others need to be explained ie the angled leg press that is neither 45 degrees or 90, but somewhere in between. The seated leg press(atlantis) that kind of acts like either a leg press or hack squat depnding on where you put your feet. The plate loaded standing calf that has to be homemade and 1000 years old but is probably the best one I have ever tried and so on.

Anyways, I thought I would start this up to motivate my ass back to the lifestyle, one rep at a time

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Welcome!
    I would assume that is you in your avi in which case I also assume you have some time in the gym.
    Thanks for starting the journal. We are trying to get some more traffic here so please feel free to check out some of the others as well. Few good guys in here and some good ideas bounced around.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Im anxious to see the equipment pics.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    Welcome!
    I would assume that is you in your avi in which case I also assume you have some time in the gym.
    Thanks for starting the journal. We are trying to get some more traffic here so please feel free to check out some of the others as well. Few good guys in here and some good ideas bounced around.
    Thanks. Yep that is me in my avatar from 2011 I believe. Perhaps in about 6-8 months I can replace it with an updated 2018 version

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    Im anxious to see the equipment pics.
    They have some old weight plates that were used at the 1976 olympics in Montreal. Guess they bought them after the games. As I recall they are Soviet plates and red

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hungwell View Post
    They have some old weight plates that were used at the 1976 olympics in Montreal. Guess they bought them after the games. As I recall they are Soviet plates and red

Now that's really cool.. I train occasionlly at an old school gym. They have some really great old equipment I'll post some pictures up too

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Thanks for starting a journal.

just testing my phone camera

IMG_20170818_223555.jpg

Saturday August 19, 2017
    Weighed myself upon arrival, was 223.5. Last december I was just over 250. I was 235 back in June, and that 250-235 was fat loss at that time. This drop from 235 to 223 was pure and simple lean tissue loss plus some fat gain. I was not eating much, especially the past week after I got sun stroke lol.

Anyways I started by warming up, including prior to the workout I did 2 light sets of 10 for front/side/rear delts, back, arms, chest quads, hamstrings rotator cuff etc

The workout- Arms and Calves---arms have always been my weakest point, plus being back after a layoff I wanted to start day 1 as arms, , tomorrow legs

Anyways on to the workout, My reps speed is like this on the lower rep stuff, I go slow and full, on the ones 9-12 or 15-20 medium speed but more fluid/pumpin style
    Rope curls 5x6-8- 20, 30, 40, 50 60
    Arm Blaster Barbell curl 5x6-8(smaller olympic bar) 1st set-empty bar, 35,45,55,55
    Incline dumbell curl(lateral style) 5x9-12- 10dbs, 12dbls, 15dbls, 20dbls, 20 dbls
    db concentration curls arnold style 5x15-20- 10db, 12db, 15db, 17.5db, 20db

Here is a pic of the soviet plates from the 76 games
    russianplates.jpg
    on to triceps
    high pulley rope extension 5x5-8- 30,40,50,60,70
    parallel bar dips 4 sets x1-2 reps lol with bodyweight, fuck I have not done these in ages and it showed, we will see as the weeks go by
    ez bar jm pressesLook em up, I like them beetr than extensions or close grip press, the key I found is not to go super heavy) 5x9-12( bar, 40, 70,90,90
    alternate one arm rope pushdowns 5x15-20 pic time I did them on the old universal crossover set up, this is one of the apparatus, there is another one paralell to the 2 stacks, also with 2 stacks...those stacks are not light despite what they say weight wise
    halfmuticrosscablealtpushdowns.jpg

calves...I should start saying words like "epic" the way I am intertwining pics in this post
    standing calves on this old beast
    fredflinstonestandcalfplusboxes.jpgfredflintstonestandcalf.jpg
    Stand calf 5x6-8---machine alone, plus 20lbs, plus 35, plus 50, plus 70 The machine alone feels like 100lbs, I dunno it does not even have a company name, it is original and homemade and it the best standing balf pretty much I have ever used, no good for drop sets though lol
    next was this seated calf press by atlantis 5x9-12- 6-,75,90,105,120
    calfpressmachine.jpg
    I finished off with 5x15-20 on the atlantis seated calf

also did the wrist roller up and down twice for 2 sets

Here are some more pics of my gym, the leg press that is half way between a 45 degree and a vertical, not the kind you put on 1000lbs and do fuck-o reps with the counter balance fololing you to the actual true weight
    highinclinelegpress.jpg
    the dumbell rack, all old school solid iron
    originaldumbells.jpg
    weighlifting/deadlift etc platform area
    weightlifting.jpg
    power racks etc, notice the pail of chalk
    wherehardcoremagichappens.jpg
    The weirdass seated leg press that feels like a hack squat if you set your feet on the lower part, it curves down as you go down in the squat/leg press low position plus next pic the inclibne bench t-bar row set up
    seatedlegpresshackcombo.jpgincline-tbar-row.jpg

Cool pictures thank you. I've used a similar leg back in my colleges weight room .

Cool pictures thank you. I've used a similar leg back in my colleges weight room .
    Yeah I like that leg press(the old one)...takes getting used to but it is def easier to do fuller reps than it is with all the 45 degree ones.

I laughed yesterday because they put in new carpet since the last time I was there. so the free weight area looks hardcore while the machine, abs,cardio area looks like some plush fitness spa from the 1970's

Another thing I like about my gym is that it is always clean, if you did not notice in the pic not one dumbell is out of place and other than that seated shrug still being loaded up with weights, all the free weights benches racks etc are free of people leaving weights on them.

Pretty much everyone is good about putting their shit away

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hungwell View Post
    Yeah I like that leg press(the old one)...takes getting used to but it is def easier to do fuller reps than it is with all the 45 degree ones.

I laughed yesterday because they put in new carpet since the last time I was there. so the free weight area looks hardcore while the machine, abs,cardio area looks like some plush fitness spa from the 1970's

Another thing I like about my gym is that it is always clean, if you did not notice in the pic not one dumbell is out of place and other than that seated shrug still being loaded up with weights, all the free weights benches racks etc are free of people leaving weights on them.

Pretty much everyone is good about putting their shit away
    Seems to be a Toronto thing. I'm always amazed how clean a city Toronto is. It's far larger than most Americans realize

Seems to be a Toronto thing. I'm always amazed how clean a city Toronto is. It's far larger than most Americans realize
    Most toronto Gyms are disorganized pig sties lol. The streets etc are fairly clean though, events I must admit having experience in waste management at those things people become fucking pigs when the sun goes down but for the most part it is a claean safe city

That being said, on my way home I am on the subway, all of a sudden the other side of the car panicks and rushes to my side, I am thinking "fuck, not a terrortist thing here" Alarm goes off people literally squash each other to get out, and I am stuck in the middle of it.

Turns out to be a fight between 3 guys, spills out onto the platform goes on for 10 minutes, one of the dudes grabs some old ladies umbrella, swings at the guy, it goes to pieces one of which hits my shoes, basically 3 wanna be ganagstas, cop comes etc etc

Official TTC Tweets‏Verified account @TTCnotices

Service holding eastbound on Line 2, Bloor-Danforth, due to a Toronto Police Investigation at Greenwood Station. #TTC

as for workout @2 did quads and abs
    warm ups--2 sets light dumbells upper body plus seated row machine, seated leg curl and leg extenion 2 trisets
    warm up legs counterbalance squats(hold on to rope on cable stack set heavy 250 lbs then pull as sqatting for 3 sets of 15 really works well) swiss ball legs curls on floor 2 sets x 20 to finish warmup
    <span class="metadata"><span>
    Close stance squsts(first time squatting since I believe the beginning of the year, first time with close stance in years) worked on getting the form down today
    5x6-8-45.65.95.115.135
    seated leg press 5x5-8(I go slow and ass to grass, the stack goes to 380, not yet for me ;p 60,90,120,150,180
    bulgarian split squats 5x10-12- bodyweight back and forth each leg very little rest(enough time to swtch legs)
    one leg press(on angles machine above) 5x9-12-machine, 65,85,115, 135--fucking hard to do but feel it at this angle
    leg extension 5x15-20, 20,30,40,50,60
    adductor/abductor 3 supersets
    ab machine 5x15-20
    lying leg raise on floor with small swiss ball between legs 5x15-20
    horizontal cable rotatioons 2x16 each side
    reverse hypers of hyperextension bench 2x15

was on my way to train chest and got called to work(one of the things I do is install/service air conditioners) so I worked from 330 and just got home now.

it was Monday and chest I hate doing on Mondays so it worked out.

One big bastard we installed at a carwash, fucker was 25000 btu and weighed about 200lbs(wall unit) fun lifting those fuckers overhead lol, especially in this heat today. Anyways I like the work and have to work on getting back my license because I have a potential business opportunity with this next year

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Great gym pics.
    Thanks.

Sorry I trained this week but with all the shit going on I forgot to enter my workouts. Will start entering them again tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast