Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dorian Yates | My First Contest - The Untold Story

Default Dorian Yates | My First Contest - The Untold Story

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

I read that article way back. Not this one, but I read that story from Dorian about his first British show and how pale he looked when he looked back on it now but back then thought he was super dark.
    I think it was featured in MD. it had pictures of Dorian and his wife and his gym and the picture of his son, wife and him on the beach and I remember thinking just how massive Dorian looked especially his calves on the beach. Don't ask how I remember this, I'm cursed with a photographic memory.

The same article also discussed his background, how he was a skin head, even had the phrase "skin head" tattooed on his fingers when he was a teen, his father passing, him moving out, his mom remarying and the step father passing. and also had pictures of him doing the hack squat with his wife and training buddy assisting.

I can't quite put my finger on what issue, it was, but that magazine edition was a great print. It had alot of good pictures and interviews. Had Mike mentzer, Nasser, show coverage. I threw out boxes of books and magazine and unfortunatly that was in their.
    "#KillingShitz #HaterRepz"

Every so often my wife and I argue about my bb magazine and book collection - our crawl space is filled with about 20 big Rubbermaid containers full of them, going back to the late 1980's.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Every so often my wife and I argue about my bb magazine and book collection - our crawl space is filled with about 20 big Rubbermaid containers full of them, going back to the late 1980's.
    That's exactly the issues I had with my wife. We compromised and I managed to save a few magazines that really like . I have a few old MD that go back to the late 80's. And a few Mike Mentzer one.
    "#KillingShitz #HaterRepz"

If you've been around the competitive scene for years, every now and then this happens...you watch the Novice class line up when all of a sudden this freakin beast turns up out of nowhere (he looks like he's trained for years but only started three years ago!! The novice guys all look at each other and think, 'Just my luck!!' LOL! I've seen it happen with a young Flex Lewis and it happened back in '85 when a young man from Birmingham turned up at the West Coast Championships in Morecambe. Peter McGough, the great Weider writer for decades was there to witness it...he won (obviously!!) and got an invite to the World Championships as well!!! It doesn't happen often so if you're planning to enter a Novice show next year, don't panic...a Dorian Yates only comes along once in a generation!! Although you do sometimes get the odd freak out of nowhere turn up; but, hey, that's competition for you!! At least these guys got to say they were there when Dorian burst through and shocked the British bodybuilding world!!
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I hear ya mate, even with just keeping the mags with my own work in I take up a serious amount of space, then there's all my photos and years of negatives...jeez.

Really felt for the poor removal guy who had to carry the boxes of MD mags when we moved into our new house last year.
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8

I sometimes wonder if we will ever see the likes of another Dorian or Ronnie.
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8