Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to 50 daily video and training

Default The road to 50 daily video and training

Ok,
    So in August 2019, I turn 50. I went through some unecessary health and physical bullshit a few years ago and seem to have gotten over it so the time now is for transformation. I am not going to do any of this 12 week transformation hogwash where I just rebound after. So this thread is meant to put pressure on me to meet my goal which is to transform my physique and do a novice show in fall 2019. I have re-embraced this lifestyle and intend to live it like I have always wanted to and had gotten away from. I will talk about everything here and be 100% honest, but try to be proper too, not stupid honest, bodybuilding has too much of that already.
    I am going to talk about my workouts, etc and post a short bodybuilding related video daily that I find and perhaps as we go on I will post my own videos.
    I putting this here rather than the training journal section because that area is dead, and I would like this to be more than "bench press 4x10-135/185/......" type of journey. I also want to welcome anyone who wants to post their shit in here as well

right now in training I am resting more between sets, like instead of the usual 15-45 seconds more in the area of 1-2 minutes, when the weather gets better I will start doing powerwalks in the morning before any food is consumed.

meal wise I am eating 4-5 times a day and cleaning things up a bit. I eat a protein source of lean meat, fish, polutry, cottage cheese, eggs and some carbs like a bit of rice, potatos etc along with some kind of veggie or fruit

Monday I did shoulders, traps
    Tuesday I did arms
    Wednesday I did nothing as it was a day off
    Today I did legs here are the highlights of the workout which took just under 2 hours, also after a couple shit starts because of my twisted ankle from several weeks ago which I kept aggravating I am now able to start working legs regularly thenk god

SQUATS 4X15-20---45,95,115, THEN 115 WITH 2 50LBS CHAINS ATTACHED(WHICH i GUESS MAKES 215) FOR 15 REPS. FIRST TIME i EVER USED TRAINS INTERESTING TO SAY THE LEAST, LIKED IT. 2ND OR THIRD TIME i DID REAL SQUATS IN LIKE 9-12 MONTHS i RECAL MAYBE I HAVE DONE THEM MORE, ANYWAYS
    HACK SQUATS(BODY MASTERS) 4X15-20--DEEP ADD WEIGHT EACH SET
    LUNGES 4X10-12
    ONE LEG EXTENSIONS(TECHNOGYM) 4X6-8--
    LYING LEG CURLS-ATLANTIS(ELBOWS UP ON PAD) 4X15-20 15,30,45,60
    STIFF LEG DEADLIFT 4X15-2045,90,115,135
    STAND LEG CURL(ON TECHNO GYM LEG EXTENSION) 4X10-12--10-20-30-40/SIDE
    REVERSE HYPERS(OFF GLUTE HAM APPARATUS) 4X6-8--DUBELL BETWEEN FEET, NEXT TIME i WILL USE A BAND INSTEAD

DID SOME GOOD GIRLS, BAD GIRLS AND THE GLUTE MACHINE
    I do warm ups with bands for upper body and hip swings in various directions plus several sub failure sets of counterbalanced squats holding on to the trx straps in the functional area(we have sleds, tractor tires and all kinds of cool, shit here)

Who is more motivational than Arnold. Anyone on here who thinks otherwise must be delusional
    When it came for leg training Arnold was not known for his leg devlopment, but they had quality, something that is sorely missing with most size freaks
    I don't know about anyone else, but that clip of Arnold and Ed Corney doing squats is all the motivation I need today
    This is what its all about people

Today I got up at 4am to help move a lady to a retirement community, I was in drive to cottage country and back which totaled 4 hours, so betyween that and the move it is a day off from the gym, tomorrow is chest

I have pondered lately recently what will be my own legacy because I feel other than being known in real life as an eccentric yet kind person with no filter what kind of legacy am I leaving?

Best motivation to how I want to be known as is in this short video describing Canada's own Gord Downie who passed at age 53 from brain cancer. If I can be known as humble as this guy was who was a music and at the end of his life social icon at the end of my life I will be satisfied. Watch the video and see how un pretentious this "rockstar really was, it is both a funny and inspiring story and my video for the day

this comment about the video stands out on how you would not expect a real rockstar to be like

More tears. �� �� I live in Kingston. Met the Gord and Rob once in a local restaurant. Gracious, kind and just wonderful to chat with. I was expecting my youngest. Gord was curious if it was my first, if I cared if my child was a boy or girl. I mentioned she was my third but my second had died at 8 weeks of age, so I was really worried tbh. He and Rob Baker both hugged me and told me they'd be hoping for the best for my child (she's 28 now!). I know it was forgotten by them not long after but damn, it made me feel better! Great guys all. My heart hurts for his family. �� �� �� And for me.

You're old as hell, I will be a youthful 49 in September.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    You're old as hell, I will be a youthful 49 in September.
    LOL, a month younger you baby. I hope i would look good as you at 50. the biggest reason I am doing this over a year and a half is because I know when I bring the weight down to a cut finally I will look like shit, so it is the second cut where I look to look better, kinda like those powerlifters who finally do a cut they look better the second or third time through

I had a dream 2 nights ago I was on winstrol which along with any anabolics I have not used since 2011, in the dream I shhok my arms and said "the winny is kicking in" because I got pumped. Funny thing is winny although among the weaker steroids worked for me the best looking back

I just want to do this thread kinda like you used to do with your daily pump thing pre MD which I used to check out all the time

I will be following your progress. And oddly, I have not used Winstrol much over the years, though I think it worked well. For whatever reason, I just never think about it. Iíve used tabs maybe 6-8 times in 20 years off and on with gear.

MD Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

I will be following your progress. And oddly, I have not used Winstrol much over the years, though I think it worked well. For whatever reason, I just never think about it. I’ve used tabs maybe 6-8 times in 20 years off and on with gear.

MD Online Editor
    never used the tabs, but I would have preferred

That dream had me chacking online about canadian average prices on the street and online

over the years I have tried the various tests, winny, tren, masteron eq(great for veins lol), npp, dbol(red pic below I had just started it worse arms than you lol)

never used deca, anadrol, turnianbol
    winny made my delts pop like crazy

Thing 2011.jpg

I'll be reading your thread about your progress. It's refreshing to read honest lbs used and candid comments about the workout.
    I find this age motivated stuff to be very interesting and relevant in my own life.
    I'll turn 60 this year and believe it or not, THIS really motivates me.

Over 40 and even over 50 masters bodybuilders can still be impressive.
    Now, I'm finally at an age where nobody expects much ( unless you're a former pro like Tony Pearson).
    My biggest initial challenge is losing wt now.

Keep up the work and keep the workout posts coming!
    Look fwd to seeing your training videos.
    Chains on the squat bar sounds pretty intense. I'd enjoy seeing that.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I'll be reading your thread about your progress. It's refreshing to read honest lbs used and candid comments about the workout.
    I find this age motivated stuff to be very interesting and relevant in my own life.
    I'll turn 60 this year and believe it or not, THIS really motivates me.

Over 40 and even over 50 masters bodybuilders can still be impressive.
    Now, I'm finally at an age where nobody expects much ( unless you're a former pro like Tony Pearson).
    My biggest initial challenge is losing wt now.

Keep up the work and keep the workout posts coming!
    Look fwd to seeing your training videos.
    Chains on the squat bar sounds pretty intense. I'd enjoy seeing that.
    thanks Howard. I will be 100% honest in this thread, when I am progresssing, slacking off, when I follow diet and protocol and even if I fall off the mythical wagon(it happens every 1-3 years so why not be honest about it)

what I am going to do is get this initial chub I gained off by myself and most likeley natural and take it from there because that part if I do it myself proves I am ready to be teachable. once I get to the next step I will probably work with someone to go towards phase 2 which would be the 2019 goal. I will share my good and bad with that without giving away the person's secrets of course

So I did chest/calves yesterday and back/low back today

with that move on friday to say I have been sore the past couple days is an understatement. but it is a good sore

another thing I have been experimenting with is instead of starting a bodypart with the first 2 exercises going usually more pyramid light high rep to heavy low rep and as the workout goes on the exercises go more medium reps to finishing off with higher reps sets for the "pump at the end I have been doing it more like this using chest yesterday as an example, pretty much all exercises first set is easiest adding weight until I hit a weight that is workable in that rep range or I go to failure in that rep range with decent form(not super stupid asshole strict, but strict enough to get a proper stretch and contraction)
    Seated hammer bench press 4x15-20---25/side,35/side, 45/side, 45/side
    incline db press 4x15-20--20db/30db/40db/50db-----before xmas I could barely get the 50's up without pain
    flat db flyes 4x10-12---15/20/25/30 dumbells
    decline bb press(swiss bar) 4x10-12--45/95/115/125
    pec deck(techno gym) 4x6-8---40-60-80-100

next time I do chest it looks like this as example
    machine flyes 4x15-20
    dips(gravitron, fuck that bodyweight shoulder wrecking bullshit) 4x15-20
    incline db flyes 4x10-12
    incline machine press (technogym) 4x10-12
    dumbell bench press 4x6-8

it may also seem like I do alot of volume but the thing to keep in mind is the first 1-3 sets have always been the more sub failure ones while the last 1-2 are the ones where I am going to failure or just a rep or so shy of it.
    does not matter anyways because writing foe example bench press 4x10-12- 95/135/185/225 means absolutely nothing because my form/tempo/range of motion may be totally different week to week to my knowledge or not, plus everyone is an expert on what constitutes form(watch people argue the various squat forms out there, stupidest thing I have ever seen, pretty much everyone is right and wrong in their own ways int those arguments)

motivation for today, the insanity of Dorian and Leroy lol, love this shit

I like volume at this point

At our age, you would be a moron to start workouts off with the heavy free weight stuff. Warm that shit up and pump a ton of blood into the area first!

At our age, you would be a moron to start workouts off with the heavy free weight stuff. Warm that shit up and pump a ton of blood into the area first!
    over the past several months especially I kept trying to go back to the "start with the heavy, low rep stuff firsT" and I would spend more time warming up and not hitting any good weights that did not hurt, plus it made me buy into the false notion that I could not do certain exercises anymore, when the reality is I needed to change my thinking and habits more.

I always thought "pre-exhaust" meant doing isolation first blah blah. The good thing with the internet is that there are plenty of older and now wiser people who workout like yourself, goon, meadows, and alot of over 40 pros who if people are actually paying attention are alluding to the very things I just talked about

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    I like volume at this point
    if you look at the majority of old timers that ended up training in their 50's, 60's 70's and even 80's they all had one thing in common, volume training whether they trained heavy or not.

does not mean that other training has no validity, quite the contrary, its just that longevity leans more to doing volume based workouts most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    if you look at the majority of old timers that ended up training in their 50's, 60's 70's and even 80's they all had one thing in common, volume training whether they trained heavy or not.

does not mean that other training has no validity, quite the contrary, its just that longevity leans more to doing volume based workouts most of the time.
    Correct observation.
    In my younger heyday ( 20's , 30's), I did a lot of high intensity training with good results.
    I now do much more volume and depend on machines.

Like you, I also need an extra warm-up set or 2 to gets things loosened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Correct observation.
    In my younger heyday ( 20's , 30's), I did a lot of high intensity training with good results.
    I now do much more volume and depend on machines.

Like you, I also need an extra warm-up set or 2 to gets things loosened up.
    when you look at the leg workout I did this week in the first post I did 4 sets of squats the first exercise

prior to that I did some light band work warming up my shoulders back chest tricpe biceps and rotator cuffs(internal external rotations, work best for bands imo) for a couple sets each with no rest, nothing hard. then I do hip swings in various directions for a couple sets each, followed by counterbalance squats for several sets while pulling back on the trx straps in the crossfir/functional area. Since it was my first workout with squats that I felt comfortable enough and pain free enough since twisting my ankle several weeks ago, it went well. I even tried out the chains for the first time ever(not knowing they were 50lbs chains lol)

the days of just jumping in with the bar and squatting that for a warmup is over, whether I do them first and last. That being said the first set of any exericse is to get into the groove. But when I say do squats last or near last in a couple weeks for 6-8 reps I will be warmed up completey, even so I would probably do the bar for 1-2 reps not counted just to get into the groove because they are squats, not leg extensions or side db raises

I also find warming up the upper body like described above helps because I don't have any problem getting my arms and hands in proper position for squats or any real shoulder problems since switching to light bands over bales/dumbells for rotator cuff work.

the warm up period takes about 10 minutes give or take a few minutes
    I stopped doing cardio as a warmup because it has fuck all to do with what I am doing that particualr day

when I warm up with cardio it is because I am doing cardio

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    when you look at the leg workout I did this week in the first post I did 4 sets of squats the first exercise

prior to that I did some light band work warming up my shoulders back chest tricpe biceps and rotator cuffs(internal external rotations, work best for bands imo) for a couple sets each with no rest, nothing hard. then I do hip swings in various directions for a couple sets each, followed by counterbalance squats for several sets while pulling back on the trx straps in the crossfir/functional area. Since it was my first workout with squats that I felt comfortable enough and pain free enough since twisting my ankle several weeks ago, it went well. I even tried out the chains for the first time ever(not knowing they were 50lbs chains lol)

the days of just jumping in with the bar and squatting that for a warmup is over, whether I do them first and last. That being said the first set of any exericse is to get into the groove. But when I say do squats last or near last in a couple weeks for 6-8 reps I will be warmed up completey, even so I would probably do the bar for 1-2 reps not counted just to get into the groove because they are squats, not leg extensions or side db raises

I also find warming up the upper body like described above helps because I don't have any problem getting my arms and hands in proper position for squats or any real shoulder problems since switching to light bands over bales/dumbells for rotator cuff work.

the warm up period takes about 10 minutes give or take a few minutes
    I stopped doing cardio as a warmup because it has fuck all to do with what I am doing that particualr day

when I warm up with cardio it is because I am doing cardio
    Good point. Far more effective to warm up the muscle group or area being worked.
    I find it better to do 1 leg step up squats, holding a heavy DB instead of reg BB squats now.
    I just can't take having a heavy BB on my back now.

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast