Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to 50 daily video and training

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhí O'Buadain View Post
    Great thread Nelson.

Thanks Daibhi,

I hope you throw in some tidbits from your prep in here once in a while

Awesome thread Nelson , Thanks. I'm hitting the big 60 in May and still hit the gym 4-5 mornings a week. Lots of shit hurts more than it did but the alternative doesn't work. Good luck brother

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Nelson has filled in needed gap with this thread for me and many other older meathedz.
    We're all fans of the pros , but it's nice to talk shop with other like minded bodybuilders.
    I enjoy threads and post on the current contest scene.
    BUT, I personally relate more to other avg Joe types like me.

Thanks Nelson
    BINGO !! Same here Howie , Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Please don't. You more then most know the problems that arise from "substance abuse".

I've taken a page from your playbook and sucking it up as I accept reality.
    The deal is , I'm older and way past my peak.
    BUT, I still love bodybuilding, so what can I do. Oy vay, poor Howard .

Well , my wife and I didn't stop making love because we're older.
    Fuk it, we may not look as sexy getting busy, but it still feels good LOL.

Ok, so I miss competing and I'm going to be 60 this yr.
    Guess what, the NPC has an aver 60 div with more then enough competition for me.

Plus , I have my well know views on the current contest scene.
    I'll just do my own thing and leave it at that.
    I thi9nk bodybuilding is more than just the competitons. In fact the reality is that both fans and/or people that compete the whole thing of bodybuilding is the entire journey and personality of the whole thing. On the Olympia stage every pro is actually posing including thier rotune, compulsory, mandatories, comparisons and posedown less than an hour total. The rest of that time is spend standing onstage to the side tensing and smiling or offstage waiting. So what are we following as people who love bodybuilding? The journey to get wherever someone is going(or not going) whether they are onstage or not.

I follow the competitive side of things as they put that stuff here and it is interestiing, but in all honesty, that part of bodybuilding for most of the year is about 1% of my total interest. I am being honest here, it is cool that fiji had a pro show, but I really could care less who won or not. I am just happy the people of fiji got the opportunity to see a show if they want, the same way I feel when there is a show in Toronto, Indianapolis. I think the comps are cool, but I don't keep track of who has what points or whatever.

its like when I watch hockey or baseball, I could give a fuck about the stats of certain players. I pay more attention to being a fan of the player(s) because they work hard, they are entertaining and they have a character, whether that character is a babyface or a villan. I just enjoy what I like about the game and dont really pay much attention to what I dont like

Quote Originally Posted by sanatarj View Post
    Awesome thread Nelson , Thanks. I'm hitting the big 60 in May and still hit the gym 4-5 mornings a week. Lots of shit hurts more than it did but the alternative doesn't work. Good luck brother
    you are right about the alternative 100%. When I was off, then on and off before becoming fairly consistent again the chronic type of pain and aches was unreal and felt unhealthy. Now any aches and pains are either dmos or my body telling me something is not or was not a good idea.

the thing that I am learning the most is that just because everyone says such and such move is either good nor bad, does not mean that is 100% correct. My point is when we get more mature in time in regards to working out we need to become like Bruce Lee talked about in "be like water"

I agree, it’s great having this kind of thread. Thumbs up to those contributing.

Got gym in thirty. Might give it forty five as food not digested.

Delts then pecs today

Delts will be three pushing exercises
    Pecs will be three fly type exercises

aim to beat PB on first press exercise

————-

tip to oldsters

Kwan Loong Oil rubbed on muscle group before training warms the area applied to and seems to reduce niggles substantially
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I thi9nk bodybuilding is more than just the competitons. In fact the reality is that both fans and/or people that compete the whole thing of bodybuilding is the entire journey and personality of the whole thing. On the Olympia stage every pro is actually posing including thier rotune, compulsory, mandatories, comparisons and posedown less than an hour total. The rest of that time is spend standing onstage to the side tensing and smiling or offstage waiting. So what are we following as people who love bodybuilding? The journey to get wherever someone is going(or not going) whether they are onstage or not.

I follow the competitive side of things as they put that stuff here and it is interestiing, but in all honesty, that part of bodybuilding for most of the year is about 1% of my total interest. I am being honest here, it is cool that fiji had a pro show, but I really could care less who won or not. I am just happy the people of fiji got the opportunity to see a show if they want, the same way I feel when there is a show in Toronto, Indianapolis. I think the comps are cool, but I don't keep track of who has what points or whatever.

its like when I watch hockey or baseball, I could give a fuck about the stats of certain players. I pay more attention to being a fan of the player(s) because they work hard, they are entertaining and they have a character, whether that character is a babyface or a villan. I just enjoy what I like about the game and dont really pay much attention to what I dont like
    Great post Nelson and basically matches my personal views and feelings on the bodybuilding lifestyle.
    You're 100% correct, that I'm a lot more consumed with MY personal workouts and progress.
    I suspect most posting here feel the same way.

I always viewed the big pro contests as both championship and gathering place for meatheadz.
    We all cheer on our favorites but in the end we just want to see a great show.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    I agree, it’s great having this kind of thread. Thumbs up to those contributing.

Got gym in thirty. Might give it forty five as food not digested.

Delts then pecs today

Delts will be three pushing exercises
    Pecs will be three fly type exercises

aim to beat PB on first press exercise

————-

tip to oldsters

Kwan Loong Oil rubbed on muscle group before training warms the area applied to and seems to reduce niggles substantially
    see this is an example of being open minded...how many people would be willing to forego their precious bench presses and do a bunch of various shoulder pressing/pushing movements FOLLOWED by a chest workout consisting of pre-exhausted and ego busting flyes.

How many sets on average does it take to build up to your attempt at you PR george?

see this is an example of being open minded...how many people would be willing to forego their precious bench presses and do a bunch of various shoulder pressing/pushing movements FOLLOWED by a chest workout consisting of pre-exhausted and ego busting flyes.

How many sets on average does it take to build up to your attempt at you PR george?
    Front press with barbell smith seated (need to get this stronger)
    88 x 8
    125 x 6
    176 x 4
    220 x 1
    264 x 5 (+1 on previous)
    then two drop sets

Been following lower rep warm ups, but more of them.
    D E S T R O Y

Leg day tonight. Did not have any coffee today until this past hour. Just had 2 cups. Great for the leg workout, bad for me getting sleep tonight.

here is the pre leg workout
    And just in advance fuck off anyone talking about their form, we get it you are edgy for pointing this out for the 1000th time, go eat a cock

branch and Johnny are intense and energetic thats what I pay attention to, big fan of these guys

The Ego Busting Leg Workout by Mr Muntz

So tonight I was on my way to the gym for my leg workout. I had written in some super high reps leg presses and seated leg curls a la Gregg Valentino along with some other movements like trap bar deadlifts, roman chair squats, leg extensions and one leg lying leg curl, plus midsection and light treadmill.

On the way I thought, "why don't I take this high reps shit a step further?" So it was on. I decided I would do my lower body warmup, my mid section and then a couple of easy sets each of standing adductors/abductors just to get my mind prepared for what was about to come.

In order to do this workout I was going to have to ego not only at the door, but down the street lying in a ditch like it was drunk and incapacitated.

So after all the lower body warming up which included some hip leg swings front and back, side to side, some light bodyweight stiff legs, some leveraged squats pulling against the TRX bands, I went upstairs and did some midsection work which included a total ab machine, some medicine ball crunches, some seated vaccuum holds and hyperextensions off the glute/ham raise bench. Did the previously mentioned adductors/abductors and wandered over to the seated leg curl.

On the seated leg curl I did 2 easy sets of 10 with 15lbs and 30lbs. now the fun starts. I stayed with the 30lbs which is light and now the goal was to do 100 rest pause reps using a super slow tempo, How slow was the tempo? well I times that first set and it took 8 minutes to get to 100 reps. I went for as many possible in this case 86 reps before I had to start rest pausing to get the rest. I completed the sets and got off the machine. I walked over to the water fountain and swallowed a mouthful of water, walked back and put the weight to 45 lbs. Now this second set I was to get 50 full reps, same speed, slow and full as shit. The thing though was that at the beginning of this set the accumalative lactic acid and pumop had caught up. This time I started rest pausing at rep 30. I got to the 50 but 2 more rest pauses. get a drink of water, then go to 60 lbs for the last set for 25 reps, still super slow and full reps. Took a couple of rest pauses to get there and I was doing doubles by the end. My hamstrings and inner thighs were pumped and touching together.

Now I went downstairs on got on the 45 degree leg press. I put my feet low where my heels were just off the platfform. I did 1 easy set then started my first set for 100 reps with just 135lbs. yes 135lbs! This set was also very slow and full and the range of motion with the way my feet were set on the platofrm was my knees to my chest. It was all quad so to speak. I started rest pausing around the mid forty rep range. I got to the 100 full reps after several rest pauses, in which I just count to 5 by the way and continue. At the conclusion of the set I threw on 20 more lbs and got a drink of water then sat my ass back down and started set 2, for 50 slow full reps with only 155lns haha. I started failing at rep 25 and started the rest pause. after a few more minutes I managed to finish the set. Brought the weight to a whopping 185, got a drink of water and started set 3. same style slow and very full. I started failing at rep 17, from there I did singles rest pause to rep 25.

My legs were so pumped from this ego busting leg workout that they were buckling. After putting my weights away and wiping down the equipment like a good member I hobbled over the treadmill and did a light 30 minutes at 2.5 MPH.

As I sit here typing I can tell you my legs are already getting sore in both the front and back. Will this workout stimulate growth? Perhaps but one thing it will build is your pain tolerance.

Special thanks go to Tom Platz and Gregg Valentino for making me realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to hitting a muscle like legs hard.

Today's video is courtesy of John Meadows and Tom Platz

I know the feeling.

I had my own squat challenge yesterday. Just with one plate on each side of the bar I aimed for 250 reps. I managed to do 100 of 'em without pausing. My shirt was soaking wet at that time. For the next 150 reps I had to rerack the bar every 20-30 reps to catch my breath and hart rate.

After the 250 repper I progressively loaded the bar up till 4 plates each side to do some 'normal' sets. But of the set with 4 plates I could only make 2 reps.

I went over to the 45 degree Leg Press and did 4 more 'normal' sets of 10-15 reps and after that the same with the V-squat machine, which I performed as a front squat.

I did a good calf training after that.

I can tell you that I slept like a baby last night.
    A forum without humor is like a gym without Iron.

I want to do legs now
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by Squat Junkie View Post
    I know the feeling.

I had my own squat challenge yesterday. Just with one plate on each side of the bar I aimed for 250 reps. I managed to do 100 of 'em without pausing. My shirt was soaking wet at that time. For the next 150 reps I had to rerack the bar every 20-30 reps to catch my breath and hart rate.

After the 250 repper I progressively loaded the bar up till 4 plates each side to do some 'normal' sets. But of the set with 4 plates I could only make 2 reps.

I went over to the 45 degree Leg Press and did 4 more 'normal' sets of 10-15 reps and after that the same with the V-squat machine, which I performed as a front squat.

I did a good calf training after that.

I can tell you that I slept like a baby last night.
    I slept well also lol. Telling by your workout it fits your online name

awesome workout

do you just do quads by itself one day and hams on another?

I want to do legs now
    Mine are sore as hell. When I do the high rep leg presses with the high reps and faster tempo I am able to do all the other leg exercises along with it. But doing those super slow full reps last night really kicked the shit out of me. I dread tomorrow because my dmos when I get always seems to peak by the second day

6 months ago and previous doing anything like that would knock the piss out of me for a 2 weeks. Still off from years ago's intensity but it is amazing to me to be able to see the improvement in intensity in real time

Mine are sore as hell. When I do the high rep leg presses with the high reps and faster tempo I am able to do all the other leg exercises along with it. But doing those super slow full reps last night really kicked the shit out of me. I dread tomorrow because my dmos when I get always seems to peak by the second day

6 months ago and previous doing anything like that would knock the piss out of me for a 2 weeks. Still off from years ago's intensity but it is amazing to me to be able to see the improvement in intensity in real time
    Tried using your principles today on legs. Nice to not worry about weight for once. Might try on other body parts.

Seated leg curl 100, 50, 30 loads or rest pause in every set
    Leg press 100, 50, 30
    Dumbell stiff leg deadlifts - straight sets 24, 20
    Leg extension 100, 50, 30
    Outer thigh machine 200 rest pause x 1 set
    Bulgarian single leg Squats 3 x straight sets

Good mind/muscle thing going on
    D E S T R O Y

Tried using your principles today on legs. Nice to not worry about weight for once. Might try on other body parts.

Seated leg curl 100, 50, 30 loads or rest pause in every set
    Leg press 100, 50, 30
    Dumbell stiff leg deadlifts - straight sets 24, 20
    Leg extension 100, 50, 30
    Outer thigh machine 200 rest pause x 1 set
    Bulgarian single leg Squats 3 x straight sets

Good mind/muscle thing going on
    Those are more Gregg's principles for leg training for the most part. Years ago and inf act just recently I started doing those kind of high reps with calves(on the 45 degree leg press one workout and seated calf the next) along with convention sets and reps with other movements(ie 6-20 reps) and my calf starting growing above and beyond the miniscule growth I had had prior to that, like literally 13-14 inches to well over 17 over a few years period. I just started doing that recently so perhaps they will respond again. I did find in the past that what one of the main benefits of throwing in that kidn of high rep training on calves was that after a while when it came to doinf any calf exercise with more conventional rep ranges I was able to get more qulaity reps with a good stretch and contraction and was abale to do more reps with my regular weight before the lactic acid started coming in

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast