Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to 50 daily video and training

Quote Originally Posted by ben1 View Post
    Hi Nelson, medium heavy, slow controlled moves, is my advice at 57!!!! Stay strong and healthy!!!!
    Hey Ben, thanks for coming in

I like the fact that heavy does not necessarily mean low reps, or hevy high reps for that matter, but as long as they are done properly for whatever range you are working in, so yeah I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    I've hit the higher rep world. If I can't get at least 8 I'm not even bothering any more I'd rather 12 and that's on basic movements.
    what I find when doing the lower reps stuff last is that my stuff for 6-8(or lower if that happens) is that the weight is more under control and more in tune to what my body wants rather than what I want or am forcing myself to do, if that makes any sense.
    I am still about 60% of my former strength on some movements hoever looking back a couple months ago trying to grab the 40's/50's dumbells for flat or incline presses was painful as hell just to grab for not very many reps. Now if I whether I am doing them first and doing higher reps sets or last doing lower reps sets no or low pain period. Obviously there are other things at play.

I also find having more than one workout for the same bodypart helps as well. but the movements from each workout are similar to the last ie incline dumbell press is lets say in workout 1, the next workout the incline press will be a machine, or a barbell or a smith machine or a swiss bar, or even cables. same planes of motion pretty much, slight different mode of tension. I see people doing the same workout every week and wonder how they don't just shoot themselves to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I found your recent training posts and feedback from Luke to be quite useful and interesting.
    You're 100% correct that we don't need to go below 8 reps once we hit age 50+.
    Your good form incline press and barbell row wts are impressive.

I've found that some joint friendly movements allow for heavier wts and lower reps.
    For example, I started biceps with the hammer preacher curl machine ( 2 warm up, 2x8 with 2 (45 lb plates added).
    Then, I did seated DB concentration curls.
    After 1 warm up set, I did 6 good reps with the 45 lb DB. No massive poundage of course, but it challenged me.
    I canít do heavy arms, but I can do heavy rows and heavy weighted chin ups. My arm sessions are total pumping and in fact itís my least favourite session. Doesnít bother me though.
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    LOL, I said Videos I would find that are part of the day's topic, the videos from me will come later one when my condition becomes more relevant. What I will be doing is making videos and pics these days to use later on so we have a barometer of where I was to where I have come to..

But just for you, I will make a short video later tonight and tomorrow, and also give you a shout out lol
    nelson I must warn you ..
    I have seen you taken out john the baptist .

But i wold not recommend you fuck with dave when it comes to beef.I remember old dave made a top npc competitor quit bodybuilding bro, because what he said on the forums .
    be careful bro, dont wanna see you back on the recreational drugs because off dave bro, be careful
    A white Toney Freeman would have 10 Olympias. If I could look like anyone I'd want to look like a prime Toney Freeman

Quote Originally Posted by a.j View Post
    nelson I must warn you ..
    I have seen you taken out john the baptist .

But i wold not recommend you fuck with dave when it comes to beef.I remember old dave made a top npc competitor quit bodybuilding bro, because what he said on the forums .
    be careful bro, dont wanna see you back on the recreational drugs because off dave bro, be careful
    hey AJ

I was not picking beef with Dave, he asked when I was making vids, I responded when I do I will give him a shout out

thanks for looking out though
    H

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    You can absolutely train hard and heavy as you get older, no need to avoid movements or even max weights..................if you are smart about it. I am almost 47 and competing in powerlifting, getting stronger and lifting heavy and there are plenty of older powerlifters still competing so it can be done.

You just have to realize that it takes longer to warm up and longer to recover and you have to listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, stop! I also do a whole pre-hab routine that helps prevent injuries.
    I have seen some of your lifting clips, you are strong as hell for your age group and look like you make some good barbeque as well.

Yeah the days of warming up with a plate on each side and just going for it are done, that is for sure

Trained shoulders traps and abs.

Good news is my shoulder presses are finally pain free after months. Couple months ago on any plate loaded machine 55-65lbs was painful, can now do 185 for 12 reps and that was the fourth exercise after sets of 15-20 of incline bent db and high incline face forward db side raises, followed by sets of 10-12 with cable front raises.

todays workout comes from current 7 time mr olympia Phil Heath, not the widest guy but thick ass delts and traps

Still waiting on this guy to post vids or something..

I'll start, here's pic after last nights training sesh..

Chest, shoulders, tri's.. Levrone's patented Shaboom workout
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

Behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post

Dave, are you tempted to get on the trt? That's not a dig at you btw, looking good my man!

Nelson has filled in needed gap with this thread for me and many other older meathedz.
    We're all fans of the pros , but it's nice to talk shop with other like minded bodybuilders.
    I enjoy threads and post on the current contest scene.
    BUT, I personally relate more to other avg Joe types like me.

Thanks Nelson
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Behemoth

Nicely put Howard!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul k View Post
    Nicely put Howard!
    THanks.

My roots in this crazy sport always included being involved with a small circle of like minded fellow meathedz.
    I'll avoid boring everyone with another personal story on this with my old and obscure gym bros LOL.
    I know most here will remember the gym interaction and kinship that ARNOLD and gang at Gold's had in Pumping Iron.
    We actually did various poses in the gym mirror too and gave each other a running critique.

I miss that and it's one of the big reasons I quit competing .
    Thanks to Nelson, this thread helps keep that spirit alive.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    I can’t do heavy arms, but I can do heavy rows and heavy weighted chin ups. My arm sessions are total pumping and in fact it’s my least favourite session. Doesn’t bother me though.
    Legs and arms are the 2 areas I can still train heavy like a young buck .
    My low back and right shoulder joint have "old man" osteo-arthritis now.
    I can't do a heavy over head lift now without severe pain .

Oh well , we all have nicks and dings somewhere as we get older.
    No doubt you'd kick most of our asses on the rows and chins.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Trained shoulders traps and abs.

Good news is my shoulder presses are finally pain free after months. Couple months ago on any plate loaded machine 55-65lbs was painful, can now do 185 for 12 reps and that was the fourth exercise after sets of 15-20 of incline bent db and high incline face forward db side raises, followed by sets of 10-12 with cable front raises.

todays workout comes from current 7 time mr olympia Phil Heath, not the widest guy but thick ass delts and traps
    I've avoided db presses for a long time. My shoulder stability sucks. I just tried Monday actually using a neutral grip. It felt great. I stayed light and got higher reps I plan to slowly increase the weight and see what happens. I think my days of 125's are well behind me. Right now I'd be happy with 100's

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Legs and arms are the 2 areas I can still train heavy like a young buck .
    My low back and right shoulder joint have "old man" osteo-arthritis now.
    I can't do a heavy over head lift now without severe pain .

Oh well , we all have nicks and dings somewhere as we get older.
    No doubt you'd kick most of our asses on the rows and chins.
    Ever try muscle rounds? They perfect for older bodybuilders.

Eg leg press
    Choose weight you can do 20
    Only do 6
    Rest 10/15
    Do another 6
    Keep going till you get 6 x 6
    (or close to)
    Beautiful feeling
    D E S T R O Y

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    I've avoided db presses for a long time. My shoulder stability sucks. I just tried Monday actually using a neutral grip. It felt great. I stayed light and got higher reps I plan to slowly increase the weight and see what happens. I think my days of 125's are well behind me. Right now I'd be happy with 100's
    I used the neutral grip as well on that particular machine, this was the version I used last night. last week I used the smith but i set it more as a high incline. I found the problem with dumbell shoulder presses is once you get them up there, it is hit or miss that you can even do them properly with any proper range of motion, seems like if you are 1/10 off in any direction the set is fucked or you get a tweak/pain etc that makes you stop. I also use this machine every other workout for shrugs by standing on the seat, has that perfect range and each handle is adjusted for height so it is good whether you are 5'0 or 6'6

Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post

I won't be posting any shirtless pics until summer. They will be progress pics so from now until then.

That being said, you look fantastic, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking(age, weight, height)

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast