Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to 50 daily video and training

stay away from cardio on leg days!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    trained legs today, did the workout my mind was wandering, happens some days lol, also did 35 minutes of cardio after

trained legs today, did the workout my mind was wandering, happens some days lol, also did 35 minutes of cardio after
    In recent years THIS is the kind of place I prefer to hang out and train at on vacation.
    After all these years, I still love the gym, but it's nice to see some other stuff.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/am...fitness-center

it's tough to justify spending $$ going to the Vegas Olympia, when I spend a few days ( with my wife) in a place like the link.
    Thus, my state championship and nearby regional shows, are the best of all world for me NOW and in years past.

I enjoy seeing top national and pro bodybuilders compete. Thanks to coverage by MD!
    BUT, I don't like using vacation time and $$ to travel and attend.
    Just keepin' it real .
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post

Something for delt day
    Hey Goon.
    What kind of looks do you get from 'normal looking people' if you walk down the sidewalk wearing that shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhí O'Buadain View Post
    Hey Goon.
    What kind of looks do you get from 'normal looking people' if you walk down the sidewalk wearing that shirt?
    I dunno, but he may have some females crossing the street when they see him coming ?

Man...
    I hope your mind does not wander if you ever get under a squat bar or during a heavy leg press.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I dunno, but he may have some females crossing the street when they see him coming ?
    Yeah,
    I bet goon is a pussy magnet.

Yeah,
    Considering the new "Me Too" movement, they likely crossed to get AWAY form him LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1 View Post
    stay away from cardio on leg days!!!
    lol, 2 things funny from your post that I realized why shit went wrong

1-when I got to squats yesterday my friend who works at my gym as a pretty good trainer was doing squats also, he worked up to 315 and did like 5 good sets of 5(he is 55 years old). anyways my ego got in the way and it is literally like my third REAL squat workout in a year. Problem was not the weight, it is that I took too big a jump in weight between sets(the days of jumping up 50lbs a set are DONE) that is what fucked up my workout. better off goin 135/155/185/205 etc then 135/185/225/ etc

2- the cardio I did because I just started cardio this week and wanted to instill the habit which is why I did it yesterday as I would not normally do cardio after a leg workout. That being said, 5 minutes in I though "WTF am I thinking?" the other part of me was "well I said I was going to do it, the leg workout sucked, so suck it up buter cup"

so to summarise, my leg workout, although I had a good pump and am sore this morning, got ruined because of EGO and PRIDE.

the reason you made me realize is because I see the awesome development you are bringing back with 145lbs squats, so I know I don't need to shoot for 185-225lbs squats for a good workout. also this whole ass to grass shit with me needs to stop. I get more quad involvemnt when I concentrate and stop at paralell. 2 weeks ago I did 15 good reps with 215 in that style my last set

heavy leg workouts never built my legs in the past, feeling the muscle did!

Man...
    I hope your mind does not wander if you ever get under a squat bar or during a heavy leg press.
    it did yesterday, that is the problem, can't do these 50lbs jumps anymore or at least now> just started back on squats seriously not long ago post twisted ankle. The wwight, when I do more gradual jumps ends up higher then when I do it like yesterday and then am getting buried by 185 because I jump 50lbs a set lol. Whe I jump less it takes loner but ends up better.

I rmemebr when Iwas a kid we would warm up with a plate and add 90lbs a set no problem, some shit changes.

lol, 2 things funny from your post that I realized why shit went wrong

1-when I got to squats yesterday my friend who works at my gym as a pretty good trainer was doing squats also, he worked up to 315 and did like 5 good sets of 5(he is 55 years old). anyways my ego got in the way and it is literally like my third REAL squat workout in a year. Problem was not the weight, it is that I took too big a jump in weight between sets(the days of jumping up 50lbs a set are DONE) that is what fucked up my workout. better off goin 135/155/185/205 etc then 135/185/225/ etc

2- the cardio I did because I just started cardio this week and wanted to instill the habit which is why I did it yesterday as I would not normally do cardio after a leg workout. That being said, 5 minutes in I though "WTF am I thinking?" the other part of me was "well I said I was going to do it, the leg workout sucked, so suck it up buter cup"

so to summarise, my leg workout, although I had a good pump and am sore this morning, got ruined because of EGO and PRIDE.

the reason you made me realize is because I see the awesome development you are bringing back with 145lbs squats, so I know I don't need to shoot for 185-225lbs squats for a good workout. also this whole ass to grass shit with me needs to stop. I get more quad involvement when I concentrate and stop at paralell. 2 weeks ago I did 15 good reps with 215 in that style my last set

heavy leg workouts never built my legs in the past, feeling the muscle did!
    Smart man.
    Some guys due to anatomical structure can get away with doing below parallel heavy squats without injury.

I have seen two knee injuries in my gym occur while guys were squatting and both of them were with guys squatting to the floor heavy.
    Another guy broke his fibula just above the ankle trying to squat too heavy ass to the floor.

Hey Goon.
    Hahaha, I frighten the villagers

Yeah,
    Hahaha.. I do okay

Smart man.
    Some guys due to anatomical structure can get away with doing below parallel heavy squats without injury.

I have seen two knee injuries in my gym occur while guys were squatting and both of them were with guys squatting to the floor heavy.
    Another guy broke his fibula just above the ankle trying to squat too heavy ass to the floor.
    100%. It was something I noticed one day squatting down in the kitchen grabbing something in shorts while waiting for water to boil of all things

I find that when you look at us all as individuals, that while alot of people can do any movement the standard set way, alot if not most need to tweak the movements in a way that is effective for them. Its like deadlifts, for years for the floor version I could do not problem, now if I do them I feel it more by either using a trap bar or having the bar elevated a notch or 3 off the floor. I made a comment on getbig last week when referring to a couple of pros with shit calves, in that the way they are doing them like other parts or other people are part of the problem. Someone called the gentics card and referenced how branch does partial form calf raises and has huge calves. True branch has an awesome physique by doing baliitic moves for most of his body but his arms as an example probably would have been improved had he trained those in a different style. Johnny Jackson had a tremendous squats and deadlist but they did not translate well doing legs like he did everything else. My calves became better when I sstarted training them differently in how I do the movement. My shitty arms improved when I did the same moves but different angles. My glutes are starting to come around despite years of deadlifts and full squats, because I do some glute machine or various hypers a few times a week and not with a lot of weight but with feel. My chest grows from anything but the quality is improving by doing alot more declines and other shit

Smart man.

I spent a lot of time and effort on FULL barbell squats .
    Squatted some ok wt/reps ( best ever was 405 for 9 and 315 for 20 ).
    Never used wraps or had knee troubles BUT my lower back is another story.

In recent years, I've learned that 1 leg step up squats after leg presses and hacks , do the job.
    I've seen people doing lunges , walking and alternating legs. That always looked like extended rest for each quad on every rep.

I hold a heavy DB and smoothly step up on the bench doing continuous 1 legged squats with the SAME leg.
    Best pure leg move I've ever done and zero back problems.
    My legs get pumped and my back stays healthy. Win/ Win !

another good example is my traps, I tried trap bar shrugs last week, can't feel them, the same way I can with standard barbell shrugs or db shrugs. I do howeever feel them with standing on the seated of the atlantis plate loaded shoulder press, with facing the hammer bench and shirging the hadles and various face pulls and by sitting in front of a seated linear atlantis bench press and doing horizontal shrugs. also behind the back upright row/shrugs

Goon has a good move for triceps where you face a hammer row and press forward. I find for myself it works better doing one arm at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    I spent a lot of time and effort on FULL barbell squats .
    Squatted some ok wt/reps ( best ever was 405 for 9 and 315 for 20 ).
    Never used wraps or had knee troubles BUT my lower back is another story.

In recent years, I've learned that 1 leg step up squats after leg presses and hacks , do the job.
    I've seen people doing lunges , walking and alternating legs. That always looked like extended rest for each quad on every rep.

I hold a heavy DB and smoothly step up on the bench doing continuous 1 legged squats with the SAME leg.
    Best pure leg move I've ever done and zero back problems.
    My legs get pumped and my back stays healthy. Win/ Win !
    you should try gregg valentino's leg press style for a workout. massive pump and I have adapted it for myself but also rotate it with seated leg presses and leg extensions and do seated leg curls with that variation. Great finisher or to add to a workout(I add it at the end after doing a few more exoerices just to get my mind ready)

100%. It was something I noticed one day squatting down in the kitchen grabbing something in shorts while waiting for water to boil of all things

I find that when you look at us all as individuals, that while alot of people can do any movement the standard set way, alot if not most need to tweak the movements in a way that is effective for them. Its like deadlifts, for years for the floor version I could do not problem, now if I do them I feel it more by either using a trap bar or having the bar elevated a notch or 3 off the floor. I made a comment on getbig last week when referring to a couple of pros with shit calves, in that the way they are doing them like other parts or other people are part of the problem. Someone called the gentics card and referenced how branch does partial form calf raises and has huge calves. True branch has an awesome physique by doing baliitic moves for most of his body but his arms as an example probably would have been improved had he trained those in a different style. Johnny Jackson had a tremendous squats and deadlist but they did not translate well doing legs like he did everything else. My calves became better when I sstarted training them differently in how I do the movement. My shitty arms improved when I did the same moves but different angles. My glutes are starting to come around despite years of deadlifts and full squats, because I do some glute machine or various hypers a few times a week and not with a lot of weight but with feel. My chest grows from anything but the quality is improving by doing alot more declines and other shit
    Great post.
    Years ago when I first started bodybuilding, I went by the book as to what people wrote.
    Do it this way ect.

As I progressed I learned to modify how I do lifts, change up angles ect. based on the feel of an exercise and how my body reacts to it.
    I discovered that changing an exercise form in a way that I can feel changes the intensity/tension on a target muscle, can target my muscles in a way that is more effective for me than going 'by the book'.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast