Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 120 to 136 of 380

Thread: The road to 50 daily video and training

  1. #120
    Juggernaut GeorgeUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,535
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    you are pretty insanely strong for your age group on some of these moves. Do you have moves that you can no longer go heavy on or are you pretty much able to do most everything with any or too much restriction?
    Rows were always my weakness for first few years. Once you get the groove it just stays. Sometimes drop weight way down and do pendlay rows.

    Just started squats after 15 year lay off. Got up to 3 and half plate a side after a month for 10, but risk ratio wasn't great, so halve the weight and 1.5 rep, pause at bottom style after pre ex with leg press. Chins 8 - 10 reps with 70 lbs added, but do them pre ex so no weight needed. Incline barbell is three plates on heaviest working set. I try and take care of pec delt tie in as got pec injury flat benching a few months ago. Nervous about pec tear. Will switch to doing delts first on push day. Military press is two and half plate a side. Hammer shoulder press is five plates a side on a good day. Arms I never worry about weight as I always get niggles if I do. That being said I stack most machines in my shitty gym.

    It's definitely easier to get injured as you get older, but if you pick and choose your battles you can keep some solid relative strength.

    Delts is a weakness for me and thinking of a laterals only quickie tagged on to arm day. Not sure if that over training, but I'll log it and work it out. In fact logging training is the single most likely way to improve
    D E S T R O Y

  2. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    Rows were always my weakness for first few years. Once you get the groove it just stays. Sometimes drop weight way down and do pendlay rows.

    Just started squats after 15 year lay off. Got up to 3 and half plate a side after a month for 10, but risk ratio wasn't great, so halve the weight and 1.5 rep, pause at bottom style after pre ex with leg press. Chins 8 - 10 reps with 70 lbs added, but do them pre ex so no weight needed. Incline barbell is three plates on heaviest working set. I try and take care of pec delt tie in as got pec injury flat benching a few months ago. Nervous about pec tear. Will switch to doing delts first on push day. Military press is two and half plate a side. Hammer shoulder press is five plates a side on a good day. Arms I never worry about weight as I always get niggles if I do. That being said I stack most machines in my shitty gym.

    It's definitely easier to get injured as you get older, but if you pick and choose your battles you can keep some solid relative strength.

    Delts is a weakness for me and thinking of a laterals only quickie tagged on to arm day. Not sure if that over training, but I'll log it and work it out. In fact logging training is the single most likely way to improve
    My strength is coming up slow which is fine, because when I made a too big a jump, my body tells me quick.

    Re delts and overtraining, I don't think adding some extra delt work to one of your days will make you overtrain as you seem to have your training down tight, and the worse case scenario is your delts stay a weak point and you find after w hile it just makes you tired stop, ie what do you have to lose. Maybe do a high rep set or 2 of 80-100 reps and see what happens. Someone told me a long time ago that is something is not working do the opposite and see what happens. Common sense I forget sometimes

    all that aside i am sick today, thank god its a holiday

  3. #122
    Juggernaut GeorgeUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,535
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    My strength is coming up slow which is fine, because when I made a too big a jump, my body tells me quick.

    Re delts and overtraining, I don't think adding some extra delt work to one of your days will make you overtrain as you seem to have your training down tight, and the worse case scenario is your delts stay a weak point and you find after w hile it just makes you tired stop, ie what do you have to lose. Maybe do a high rep set or 2 of 80-100 reps and see what happens. Someone told me a long time ago that is something is not working do the opposite and see what happens. Common sense I forget sometimes

    all that aside i am sick today, thank god its a holiday
    Good suggestion. Might just get pair of light dumbbells and get 500 reps of various laterals every arm day (which never truly taxes me)

    Strength going up for you is a major marker, although strength increases can be in varieties of rep ranges. Feel like shit? Rep it out...
    D E S T R O Y

  4. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    24
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    did I email you the pics with our boys latest infection and hospital stay? I cant remember

  5. #124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by satansmelon View Post
    did I email you the pics with our boys latest infection and hospital stay? I cant remember
    yes, looks painful.

    he lost alot of size or is that the angle?

  6. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    24
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    yes, looks painful.

    he lost alot of size or is that the angle?
    oh he lost a ton of size
    not sure if i sent you all the pics but the gut is ahead of the chest, the chest looks flabby and those forearms are disturbingly small

    nothing left of the guy

  7. #126

    Default

    So I am just getting over being sick the past few days, came out of no where like the weather this week. Thing about being in a city the size of mine is on transit around alot of not doing well people so one bad day and pick up what is going around.

    Thing is when sick life still goes on so I had just enough energy and appetite this week for "life goes on" anyways a few extra days off from the gym is not the end of the world and ends up being a good thing overall, back at it this weekend.

    Video for the day
    remake of a John Lennon classic at the 75th John Lennon birthday


  8. #127
    Freak of Nature thegoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    11,410
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Lennon 75 wow

  9. #128

    Default

    Trained back today, mixing in my trap work within the back work, like it, dropped the getting stronger bullshit and just going by feel ie if I want to do a heavy set in whatever rep range I am working in, I do it, other than that I just feel the movement and work the muscle with a full stretch and contraction with med to slow reps. Also went back to less rest 30-45 seconds between sets
    2 pulley vertical pull ins(on functional trainer set up) 2 warmups, 3x15-20
    one arm dumbell rows 3x15-20
    rope face pulls to forehead 3x15-20
    close grip pulldowns 3x10-12
    horizontal shrugs 3x10-12
    bent barbell rows 3x10-12
    lying cable pullovers 3x6-8
    incline face forward wide paralell rows to upper chest 3x6-8
    shrugs on atlantis plate loaded shoulder press(stand on seat duh) 3x6-8(hold at top for 5 count)

    some midsection work rope crunches, leg tucks, planks with hands on medicine ball and glute kickbacks 12 sets total

    25 minutes treadmill

    Video today is one of the Widest Mr O's to date, Jay Cutler

  10. #129

    Default

    got old clip, some bb row reps..

    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

  11. #130
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    21,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    good shit. Only thing I want to point out is the whole thing about pre-exhaust being in the order of isolation and then compound kinda sucks for us old folks. I feel the first move or second can be iso or compound but with the first you work more on higher cleaner reps going up in weight and then the second or third move is where you add more intensity. basically you should try varying that workout to workout, because although the whole concept behind pre-exhaust is isolating the muscle to failre then hitting a compound move so your other bodyparts bring it to failer it does not translate well for us older guys who need to be warmped up completly before rocking the boat. when I post my workout sets and reps it may seem like alot of volume but really those first 2-4 sets are sub failure preps done smoothly while the last 1-2 sets have more explosiveness, rest pause, body english if neccessary

    example for a guy like you doing quads once your body is warmped up you would start light doing 3-6 light to moderate pyramid sets of 10-20 sub failure sets of xyz quad exercise and the last set or 2 is a challenging weight(not maximal, challenging) weight for the rep range you are working, nothing crazy. The next exercise is where you work up to that max set you talk about.

    Like if I do 45 degree barbell rows first after I warmup my body with bands(fuck the cardio for 10 minutes shit, nothing to do with weight training) I would do 2 sets of an easy 10-15 just with the bar to get into the movement, then I would start with 65 lbs then add 20-30lbs per set and finish off with 135 to 155 for a hard set of 15-20. If I was doing the same movement later in the workout for heavy low reps I would do the bar for a couple of reps to get in the groove, throw on the eq of 115 and add 20-30lbs for sets of 6-8 to end at 185-205 for a hard 6-8.

    Not saying the 1 sets shit is valid, just saying if you are going to approach this as a 59 year old you might want to work up to that 1 max set and think of pre-exhuast as a first movement(iso or compound) lighter and easier and the second move(post exhaust) as either an iso or compound where you work up to an all out sets of 10-15

    I think the biggest mistake I have made the last decade is training to absolute failure rather than to either positive or just before. Mentzer and Jones were smart as fuck to be sure, but it is kinda ironic that neither could be bothered to do or find the time to do their brief intense workouts the last 20 years of their lives while guys like Ferrigno and Bill pearl were both guys who talked about leaving a bit in the tank and are still training at ages 66 and 88 respectively
    Guess what? You're correct on this assumption about high intensity for us older dudes.
    It's only been a full week and I can see some of the pitfalls with it NOW at age 60.

    I can see that the pre-exhaust super sets STILL provide a great pump and worked feeling in the muscle belly.
    BUT, I need to do a couple warm up cycles and then 2 super set cycles , with more feel around 90% intensity.

    For legs, squats are a NON-starter for me now. BUT I can do all the other exercises and go pretty heavy IF I warm up a few sets.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  12. #131
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    21,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post
    got old clip, some bb row reps..

    Not too bad Dave

    I noticed that both you and George don't go for a full stretch on the lower part of the rowing movement.
    I'm not trying to some picky jack ass , but I'm curious if that rep form helps you feel the back working?
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  13. #132
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    21,276
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Trained back today, mixing in my trap work within the back work, like it, dropped the getting stronger bullshit and just going by feel ie if I want to do a heavy set in whatever rep range I am working in, I do it, other than that I just feel the movement and work the muscle with a full stretch and contraction with med to slow reps. Also went back to less rest 30-45 seconds between sets
    2 pulley vertical pull ins(on functional trainer set up) 2 warmups, 3x15-20
    one arm dumbell rows 3x15-20
    rope face pulls to forehead 3x15-20
    close grip pulldowns 3x10-12
    horizontal shrugs 3x10-12
    bent barbell rows 3x10-12
    lying cable pullovers 3x6-8
    incline face forward wide paralell rows to upper chest 3x6-8
    shrugs on atlantis plate loaded shoulder press(stand on seat duh) 3x6-8(hold at top for 5 count)

    some midsection work rope crunches, leg tucks, planks with hands on medicine ball and glute kickbacks 12 sets total

    25 minutes treadmill

    Video today is one of the Widest Mr O's to date, Jay Cutler
    Jay has awesome training vids.
    Despite thinking I can still train Heavy Duty intensity, I get a BETTER workout from higher volume as I get older.
    Not sure why ( exactly) but it's true.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  14. #133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Not too bad Dave

    I noticed that both you and George don't go for a full stretch on the lower part of the rowing movement.
    I'm not trying to some picky jack ass , but I'm curious if that rep form helps you feel the back working?
    We're a little older now, so the stretch isn't as pronounced.. as long as weight goes below knees and right back up into hip, belt area, I feel it working.
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

  15. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post
    We're a little older now, so the stretch isn't as pronounced.. as long as weight goes below knees and right back up into hip, belt area, I feel it working.
    There are also various versions of barbell rows, I do the same type you do, as well as the more old school "L" formed one like haney and arnold used to do depending on how I feel that day/week/month lol. Both versions are shit kickers in their own way. It's like people and squats. I have done ass to grass one and off for years, and honestly I don't get the same quad tension/fee that I get going to paralell where I actually have to pause before ascending. or deadlifts, unless I am using the trap bar I could not be bothered lifting from the floor anymore,besides unlike most Phaghells out there i actually lower the bar to the floor under control

    I agree 100% in that lift the way you feel it best, not what everyone thinks is best

    people keep defining "hardcore" as how heavu or hard you train. While that is nice on the surface I am going to throw this out there that the 60,70 and ven 80 year olds I have seen training in the gym who have been coming for decades and still train, while not as hard heavy and stupid as most are the real harcore because they figured out how to train smart enough to be still doing it at those ages

  16. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Jay has awesome training vids.
    Despite thinking I can still train Heavy Duty intensity, I get a BETTER workout from higher volume as I get older.
    Not sure why ( exactly) but it's true.
    Honestly, I saw that interview with Jay, and I saw those interviews with Haney, both used some forum of volume and trained to stimulate, rather than always aniallate, and they are still training without too much damges years after retirement at the top level, while the heavy high intensity guys don't even train anymore because they can't give up the notion of training like mature adults. Or with all due respect to Mike Menzter, he was so closed minded that his way was the best way to train and how people could find 3 days a week to train in short bursts yet he himself did not pretty much train for the last decade or 2 of his life. He was smart guy and a great champ, however lets face it most of the heavy duty stuff is based on not "counting the 2-4 progressive sets to get to that 1-2 worksets

    its like people who try to convince everyone that the triple drop sets was in fact 3 sets, not one, or that one rest pause set for 7,5,3 was actually 3 sets not one.

    My point is the whole volume versus low sets is just that, bullshit. Nobody just jumps into 1 set of squats to failure with 400 lbs without doing plenty of sets with 45,135,225,315. And just because they were not to failure does not mean they did not stimulate and work the muscle hard, no more than the stupid thinking that people try to convince people that the volume guys don't train hard, or some volume people trying to bullshit people into thinking all 20 of those sets were blood and guts.

    My biggest 3 peeves when it comes to the volume versus low set debate is

    1-the whole nonsense about overtraining. You can overtrain on both systems if you train like an asshole and don't take care of recovery
    2- when they compare the volume of the past as in 20 sets per bodypart 3 times a week. hardly anyone has trained like that in 40 years and the ones that do is like a couple weeks before a show, if that
    3- comparing Arnold's 288 hours in the gym over 8 weeks for 1975 Olympia versus casey Viators 9 hours in the gym or whatver for the colorado experiment. Last time I checked those 288 hours won his 6th olympia title in 8 weeks of training

    Just a thought Howard, all those years of training, you would probably gain back all your muscles just being consistent to be honest. Its the same reason these asshole bodybuilders and coaches who go vegan are touting the fact that going vegan did not eat up their muscle. well duh, once you have that muscle for decades you actually dont need hundreds of grams of protein anymore to maintain it. I am not even a bodybuilder or coach but even my pea sized brain can figure that out

  17. #136
    MD staff Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sponsored Bodybuilding Athlete
    Posts
    20,136
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    There are also various versions of barbell rows, I do the same type you do, as well as the more old school "L" formed one like haney and arnold used to do depending on how I feel that day/week/month lol. Both versions are shit kickers in their own way. It's like people and squats. I have done ass to grass one and off for years, and honestly I don't get the same quad tension/fee that I get going to paralell where I actually have to pause before ascending. or deadlifts, unless I am using the trap bar I could not be bothered lifting from the floor anymore,besides unlike most Phaghells out there i actually lower the bar to the floor under control

    I agree 100% in that lift the way you feel it best, not what everyone thinks is best

    people keep defining "hardcore" as how heavu or hard you train. While that is nice on the surface I am going to throw this out there that the 60,70 and ven 80 year olds I have seen training in the gym who have been coming for decades and still train, while not as hard heavy and stupid as most are the real harcore because they figured out how to train smart enough to be still doing it at those ages
    Great post Nelson.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •