Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Ron Ep. 45 - Forearms are all genetic & stop the shit-form bb rows!

Default Ask Ron Ep. 45 - Forearms are all genetic & stop the shit-form bb rows!

top genetic bodyparts

1. calves
    2. chest
    3. forarms

^ all other bodyparts in my opinion can be brought up with Branch or Ron Colemen type training

I used to think chest wasn't so genetic. I still think a lot of guys never learn how to recruit the pecs during presses and wind up stimulating mainly front delts and triceps, but I have also seen cases where guys tried their best for years and never got much in the way of pec development.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

14:30
    "When you get old you are not going to be looking that great anyway"

Darn Ron.
    I need to stop all of this prep and just sit in the recliner.

Good episode

one thing I notice about all these max deadlifts people are doing is I do not see any outstanding trap and and back development like I did in the past when people had them as a part of their workouts rather than the basis of the workouts.

also in regards to the shitty barbell row form...
    1-Its not just barbell rows you see this, but you see this on the real t-bar rows(not the one with the incline bench, though another people do with shit form), you also see it with the barbell jammed in the coner "V Bar Rows" (THE BAR ID A SMALL V GUYS, GET IT? i CAN SPELL FOR SHIT BUT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A "T" AND "V" SHAPED BAR LOL.
    2-in the 80's and prior everyone did barbell rows in the conventional way. Yes today people have extremeley thick and/or wide and/or freaky backs but in all honesty the backs looked better back in the sergio, arnold and lee haney days when they were doing real barbell rows and dumbell rows in the old school way with half the weight. That style of both moves is much harder as well

as for forearms and genetics, well the only thing I notice is that my forearms are worse when I dont train them all the time versus when I do. How I do the moments is how I notice people who are mechanics, plumbers, carpenters, windon washers, car detailers, landscapers, and anyone who worked with hoses, wires, high psi pressure washers. Think of all the people you have ever known seen doing these types of jobs and their forearms and wrist movement during the work and mimic it, and your forearms will improve. I will never have forearms like Lee Priest, Flex Lewis, Jose raymond, Bill Pearl or Draper, but neither will any of the rest of you but like ron said we can always improve what we have

people like to go on with the horseshit about peoole using straps and grips, usually people with shitty backs by the way who say this shit. when I train back I dont give a fuck about training my grip, I use straps because I want to be not worrying about holding on to the fucking bar when I am trying to exhaust my back. If I want to improve my fucking grip, I will focus on that bullshit. I am sure i will offend some with that statement but I still love you so nothing person and go fuck yourself lol j/k
    Last edited by NelsonMuntz; May 14th, 2018 at 11:26 AM.

Yeah, I am not entering any grip contests any time soon, so I will use straps too. The same people who call you a pussy for using straps will say the same thing about wearing a belt. They can all go eat a dick with their macho bullshit.
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Yeah, I am not entering any grip contests any time soon, so I will use straps too. The same people who call you a pussy for using straps will say the same thing about wearing a belt. They can all go eat a dick with their macho bullshit.
    I stopped wearing a belt back around 99ish, and only did not replace it because it was like the third one in a year that I had lost,misplaced or had stolen so I figured fuck it

I have been recently considering getting another one as now I am older and things have def changed

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhí O'Buadain View Post
    14:30
    "When you get old you are not going to be looking that great anyway"

Darn Ron.
    I need to stop all of this prep and just sit in the recliner.
    I mean, it depends on what's on Netflix lately -

loved this entire video. a cpl quick comments. first, i am not genetically gifted or cursed. so i am like 80% of you out there (imagine a bell curve). i was a powerlifter turned cosmetic lifter (aka bodybuilder minus the competition).

1- Forearms: I found the most effective exercise for myself that has given me noticeable growth. I simple put a barbell on the squat rack where you would normally place it when you squat. In the center of the barbell I tightly tie a rope around the center of the barbell and the rope drops to the ground with about 1-2' to spare. At the end of that rope I have attached a metal clamp/hook/clasp/snap link hook or whatever you call that common thing you see everywhere in the gym. I loop that thingy through the middle of some weight plates (I use 2x 45 now). It is a strong man version of the wrist roller, but instead of holding it out in front of you where the shoulders give before the forearms, the squat rack anchors it so you are only using forearms to roll. I roll AWAY from me until the weight reaches the top, then lower. Then I step to the other side of the squat rack and roll back to me until the weight reaches the top before lowering. That is one set. I do 3-5 sets 1-2 x per week. My forearms got much bigger.

2- Calves. I am so pissed that the best calf machine I have ever used is NOT at my gym. It is the machine where the pad is at your lower back and it replicates a donkey calf, but at an angle similar to a hack squat . IMO, for calves. Tons of frequency (min 3x per week), tons of REPS (first) and mix in some have stuff on occasion. Ron nailed it with the variety.

3- Barbell Rows. Standard bent barbell rows-= HATE EM. Yes I know guys will pile on and talk about Dorian and whoever getting these huge backs doing bent barbell rows. I have been lifting consistently since 1984. IMO barbell rows are one of the most dangerous exercises you will ever do, and the risk outweighs the reward. If you are in your 20's or 30's now and want a big thick back, yes they will work. But if you still want to walk standing upright in your 40's or 50's you will be much better served doing chest supported rows, 1 arm DB rows (once again supported) or any variety of those chest supported Hammer row machines out there. I see Dusty Hanshaw doing those bent rows and T-Bar rows and I am impressed. And then I wonder how long before he is in a wheel chair. I have had significant low back injuries on a couple occasions and they were always related to a basic barbell row or T-bar row. So many safer options that offer the same bang for the buck IMO.

I used to do bb rows with 275-365 for years and years. Now my back won't let me do anything more than 135 properly bent over, so I don't even bother with them.

I used to do bb rows with 275-365 for years and years. Now my back won't let me do anything more than 135 properly bent over, so I don't even bother with them.
    Wisdom right there. When I was young we did not have the internet. All of you youngsters, regardless of your hyooogness, should consider what us vets are saying. Here is a take home quote: "A fool makes the same mistake again and again. A smart man makes a mistake and does not repeat it. A WISE man, never makes that mistake. Instead, he sees someone else make the mistake and learns not to repeat it." Just because you are young does not mean you cannot be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by swaminator View Post
    Wisdom right there. When I was young we did not have the internet. All of you youngsters, regardless of your hyooogness, should consider what us vets are saying. Here is a take home quote: "A fool makes the same mistake again and again. A smart man makes a mistake and does not repeat it. A WISE man, never makes that mistake. Instead, he sees someone else make the mistake and learns not to repeat it." Just because you are young does not mean you cannot be wise.

probably the hands down dumbest thing we did was warming up with one plate on each side on every exercise

I used to think chest wasn't so genetic. I still think a lot of guys never learn how to recruit the pecs during presses and wind up stimulating mainly front delts and triceps, but I have also seen cases where guys tried their best for years and never got much in the way of pec development.
    Recall training at the University gym back in the day and there was this American History lecturer who use to train there, late 60's, awesome physique, had the tan and hair even in the middle of winter looked like Dave Draper.

He took me under his wing a bit, he reckon only two movements for chest, incline dumbbell press and dips. He didn't bag other movements but he also liked DB pullovers done cross bench like. Have tried all movements over the years but when you hit that sweet spot with incline DB presses, there's just nothing like it.

I liked BB rows as well but have always preferred DB rows,

am punching real good weight out with this movement and like the Hammer row as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    probably the hands down dumbest thing we did was warming up with one plate on each side on every exercise

Absolutely, do very little of ''mobility work'' before ii train but do start with just the bar and work up,
    it get me in the groove and can sense how my body is responding.

It may arguably cut down my max weight but nil injuries and consistency make up for that.

I thank God for DB rows and rows with chest pad supports. If it weren't for those, I would not be able to do any kind of heavy rowing anymore. Lower back issues suck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast