Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 20

Thread: My Crossfit Experience | Ask Ron Ep. 47

  1. #1
    Administrator Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    noisserped
    Posts
    17,744
    Gender
    Male

    Default My Crossfit Experience | Ask Ron Ep. 47


  2. #2
    Spotter Ethan Wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Meriden, Connecticut
    Posts
    255
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Murph is so not a fun way to experience CrossFit for the first time. I did CF for just about 3 years before I decided to start prepping for a few shows fall 2016. It’s probably the most misunderstood subculture in the iron world

  3. #3
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Wedge View Post
    Murph is so not a fun way to experience CrossFit for the first time. I did CF for just about 3 years before I decided to start prepping for a few shows fall 2016. It’s probably the most misunderstood subculture in the iron world
    Totally agree.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    62
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    One thing I venture to bet that the BBing world is jealous of; the revenue created in crossfit.

  5. #5
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,711

    Default

    One thing I forgot to mention was how NICE these people are to each other and how they welcome new people. Think about what it's like as a bb when some new bb walks into YOUR gym. Be honest. Do you go over and welcome him, or do you stare at him, like grrr - me the alpha male here! Me no like you!
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  6. #6
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suh_Dude View Post
    One thing I venture to bet that the BBing world is jealous of; the revenue created in crossfit.
    Just as a small example, 2 of the bigger companies who sponsor the CrossFit Games are Reebok, Mercedes-Benz
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  7. #7
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,711

    Default

    Should have mentioned that they do a fair amount of deadlifting in CrossFit.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  8. #8
    Barbarian
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    600
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    for me ,and iam not proud of it,if someone has a better body i get depressed and if someone has worse i feel somewhat better for myself...
    crossfit is cool,i dont do it but i respect it a lot.what i dont like is the cult status it has for some people!
    and i have a very good pair of reebok shoes with the cf logo that are very good for the gym,not so much for running.
    a great joke is...if you are vegan and crossfitter...which tell people first?and last the debate between which style or system is better is much worse in the martial arts world...karate is best,no karate is shit,kung fu rules all...no you would die in the streets or in the cage etc..
    in the end it does not matter ,great insider info Ron,thanks for sharing and another great episode.
    i only wish the sound was louder, i have to up the volume to the max to hear it!

  9. #9
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alvertos View Post
    for me ,and iam not proud of it,if someone has a better body i get depressed and if someone has worse i feel somewhat better for myself...
    crossfit is cool,i dont do it but i respect it a lot.what i dont like is the cult status it has for some people!
    and i have a very good pair of reebok shoes with the cf logo that are very good for the gym,not so much for running.
    a great joke is...if you are vegan and crossfitter...which tell people first?and last the debate between which style or system is better is much worse in the martial arts world...karate is best,no karate is shit,kung fu rules all...no you would die in the streets or in the cage etc..
    in the end it does not matter ,great insider info Ron,thanks for sharing and another great episode.
    i only wish the sound was louder, i have to up the volume to the max to hear it!
    Anyone who is honest would admit this.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  10. #10
    Barbarian BGJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire,UK
    Posts
    969

    Default

    I did crossfit for 2 months, and I can see why it is so popular, friendly supportive groups of people and the ol exercise vs training issues, aka you feel good because you've been worked to death.
    I stopped because I got weaker and got better fitness results from pushing a powler twice a week for 15minutes.

    Great if you just want get ruined without thinking what you're doing and like the community feel
    if you like goals and proper programming for performance results - not so much

    But there are good and bad CF 'boxes'!

  11. #11
    Barbarian
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    724
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Crossfit is definitely difficult and does produce good results. good result with overall fitness and strength.
    my beef is Crossfit does, on occasion, odd or even stupid movements: two man deadlifts, workouts only with squats, repetitive Olympic power movements, where in general low reps are done. you have a 20-25% chance of a shoulder injury. doing hundreds of reps of clean and jerks affords an chance to strengthen and injure any part of the body.
    Its hard, its expensive, you wont get 20 inch arms but you will be in better shape overall. final note, I could barely do a wod I tried!

  12. #12
    Juggernaut SISTEROFJESUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    8,030
    Gender
    Female

    Default

    I didn't see ur vid Ron, yet i do watch the Crossfit games, as my hubby and me are doin' now. plus i've done some Crossfit and have no dealings with it. i've never been to a Crossfitt box, yet i know i would like it
    MY KING OF KINGS

  13. #13
    Mass Monster Vin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,326
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I have a high regard for endurance athletes.

    I was competitive in cross country, distance running and track. Out of everything I have done in my life and I have done a lot (sports wise), the most taxing, endurance wise is track where I did the 400M back in high school.

    The 400M is most brutal because it is literally a paced sprint (once around the track). It is about a 1/4 mile in total I believe. Not sure if you guys have ever run it but it is the longest sprinting event. You need incredible endurance. One lap around the track is longer than most would think and if you have run this race, you will agree.

    I am also not talking about about a leisurely jog around the track, I am talking about competitive racing and training for this event.

    There is never a point in the race where you are comfortable. If you try to “pace yourself” like a traditional mile run, you will get passed. The mental aspect is the most taxing however. It is not like 100M where you just go all out without worrying about strategy. You need to sprint but do so in a way where you are at varying levels of a 80%-100% sprint the entire race.

    You need to think about where you are at, at all times, where your competitors are at and most of all, how much to keep in the tank for the last 50-100M where most usually die off. It is a minute (40-60 seconds depending on your level) of all out suffering. The last 50M, you are already dead physically, and then have to literally all out sprint like another 40 or 100M, to the point where you cannot feel your legs and your lungs are about to explode.

    I played hockey, did bag skates, shuttle runs in soccer training, 10K races but nothing is like the 400M. The closest thing I can liken it to is the 20 rep squat for 4 sets that guys like Levrone talk about. You just have to dig and I mean dig and when you have absolutely nothing left mentally and physically, you have to dig some more.

    Last edited by Vin77; May 31st, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
    "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

  14. #14
    Barbarian
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    600
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    VIN! i could not agree more with what you wrote!
    i trained and ran 400 to pass the exams to enter the university of physical education when i was 17-19... the better your time,the more chances to win a place in the university.i always sucked at it,besides training for 2 years for it...
    extreme burn,nausea,basically feeling like you dying,not wish that shit to anyone! i finally switched this event for 50m swim,and that is how i went to pass the exams, my times in 400 really sucked.
    3 years later,when i was at the second year if studies,we have to run 800 m,again for time=better grades,it was better but not much,at least i was not dying in the track
    !basically all run outside sprints sucks, i much prefer 100m or 5 kms runs ,everything between is designed to make you suffer, BUT it burns a lot cals, i was really lean those times,especially in lower body but i would not do it again, no way!

  15. #15
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,817
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Crossfit is as strongman, but for dwarfs and weaklings.

    Running is crap, I do not understand how people enjoy it. You do not become stronger or bigger, there are no rewards, it's crazy.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  16. #16
    Barbarian Squat Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Amsterdam - The Netherlands
    Posts
    725
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BGJimmy View Post

    Great if you just want get ruined without thinking what you're doing
    This is what I've noticed. Their Pull Ups or Power Ups result in uncontrolled jerks on the shoulders which leads to serious injuries. Besides the uncontrolled jerking movements, the overall benefits are undeniable.
    A forum without humor is like a gym without Iron.

  17. #17
    Mass Monster Vin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,326
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alvertos View Post
    VIN! i could not agree more with what you wrote!
    i trained and ran 400 to pass the exams to enter the university of physical education when i was 17-19... the better your time,the more chances to win a place in the university.i always sucked at it,besides training for 2 years for it...
    extreme burn,nausea,basically feeling like you dying,not wish that shit to anyone! i finally switched this event for 50m swim,and that is how i went to pass the exams, my times in 400 really sucked.
    3 years later,when i was at the second year if studies,we have to run 800 m,again for time=better grades,it was better but not much,at least i was not dying in the track
    !basically all run outside sprints sucks, i much prefer 100m or 5 kms runs ,everything between is designed to make you suffer, BUT it burns a lot cals, i was really lean those times,especially in lower body but i would not do it again, no way!
    Yes! Thanks for sharing. Running the 400M competitively is like a brotherhood, outsiders do not really understand the sacrifice much like bodybuilding. I also did the 800M but was more successful at the 400M and 400M relay. I was the exact opposite of you. I could swim laps but was never any good competitively. I have a high regard for swimmers too but it never killed me, quite like the 400M.

    I was actually pretty good at the 400M and won regionals a couple years while in high school. I had run it since about 7th grade and competed up to 12th grade, around 17 years old. It was a love-hate relationship for sure. Despite winning regionals twice, it got to a point where I was good but never good enough to win Provincials (similar to State in the US) or have any hope at Nationals or the Olympics so after about 5 years of racing, I gave it up.

    That is when I got into bodybuilding at around 19 or so. I continued to play hockey recreationally and still play but it is just for fun. Truth be told, I have very fond memories of running, still have some of those trophies and penants but do not miss that feeling of racing one bit. Enduring that build up and overflow of burning lactic acid and having to power through it time and time again both mentally and physically while your lungs feel like they are about to explode is something not most have experienced and again, not a feeling I miss.

    Much like you, I was also quite lean in high school. Sprinters type body, then I hit the weights.
    Last edited by Vin77; June 1st, 2018 at 03:57 PM.
    "Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •