Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pro Bodybuilding Dead? Some Data on Contests 90's Versus Today

Default Pro Bodybuilding Dead? Some Data on Contests 90's Versus Today

I asked former IFBB historian Joe Roark about the number of pro contests now versus in the past as my perception was there are a lot more contests today. Here's what the data says.

Year: # IFBB pro contests for bodybuilding (men)
    1991 - 13
    1991 - 14
    1992 - 12
    1993 - 15
    1994 - 15
    1995 - 16
    1996 - 14
    1997 - 14
    1998 - 9
    1999 - 8 so the average per year in the 1990s was 13

compare:
    2011 - 28
    2012 - 31
    Cyberpump! - The Home of High Intensity Training (HIT) - http://www.cyberpump.com

there are more divisions now carrying the Open division.. Heath,Winklar and Ramy are the last remaining epic open competitors along with Bonac,DeAsha,Morel,Curry,Cedric,Akim,Sergio Jr

Classic,Bikini and Figure are rising fast along with more interest in midgets in the 212

Now there are many more shows, because there are more professionals and more promoters.

But we are not on the same level as in the 90s and there is no longer an authentic muscle atmosphere.

The big shows, Arnold and Olympia, are often disappointing, but there are good shows hidden in the calendar throughout the year.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Barbarian

IFBB classes increased from 2 to 8, population increased by 75 million since 1991, simply put more people can compete in more attainable classes.

I agree that there are way more pro shows now, but the depth of the lineups got watered down in the process.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I agree that there are way more pro shows now, but the depth of the lineups got watered down in the process.
    This! Not to put anyone down, but the Vancouver and Chicago shows seem to have outlandishly weak line ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I agree 100%. We won't even talk about how they are handing out pro cards now versus then. There were many really good bodybuilders who never were able to turn pro. If they competed today, that would not be the case.
    Cyberpump! - The Home of High Intensity Training (HIT) - http://www.cyberpump.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpump View Post
    I agree 100%. We won't even talk about how they are handing out pro cards now versus then. There were many really good bodybuilders who never were able to turn pro. If they competed today, that would not be the case.
    Three people from my gym turned pro last weekend. One took second out of three people, but the first place guy had already turned pro earlier that night in another class.

MD Online Editor
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Getting a pro card doesn’t seem as difficult as it was back in the 80’s and 90’s. Survival of the fittest and that’s why the line ups were so stacked. Anyone can get a pro card nowadays and this leads to entitled weak minded brats thinking their shit don’t stink.