Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here is how the fans will vote at the Mr. Olympia

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    It is nothing more than a consolation prize for a public that may not agree with the judges. Having 2 different champions will generate a bit of drama and controversy.

I also feel bad for the direction of the sport, but this marketing trick is not painful.
    Imagine having separate Super Bowl champs because the losers won the fan text-in poll.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Imagine having separate Super Bowl champs because the losers won the fan text-in poll.
    Terrible comparison. The Super Bowl champs aren’t picked by judges who decide played the best.
    I stop me....no one else does.

im not feeling this at all.
    horrible idea, horrible idea .

what would be better for the olympia would be bring back the master olympia contest .
    That would be epic, give away 150 000 for first place..All the legends like dennis james, ruhl, wheeler, etch would return.

THE PLACE WOULD BE SOLD OUT SIMPLY ON THAT
    A white Toney Freeman would have 10 Olympias. If I could look like anyone I'd want to look like a prime Toney Freeman

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post

NEW YORK, July 10, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- American Media, Inc. (AMI), owner of the Mr. Olympia contest and Joe Weider'sOlympia Fitness & Performance Expo, today announced that for the first time in the event's history, fans will cast one of the votes to select the 2018 winner of the Mr. Olympia, the sport's premier event. This also marks the first time ever that this type of voting will be used at an IFBB Professional League event.
    "Having our fans vote for Mr. Olympia continues AMI's tradition of adding new and exciting experiences to the sport's premier event each year," said AMI Chairman and CEO David J. Pecker. "The 2018 Olympia will make history because it raises the stakes for all the competitors, ensuring that the field taking the stage at Orleans Arena on September 14 and 15 will be the best ever."
    Ticket holders for the judging round on Friday, September 14, and the finals on Saturday, September 15, will receive a special code with which they can evaluate each competitor and cast their vote on their phones. The fan votes will be collectively counted as one vote, joining the votes of the judges on the panel.
    "The audience at a bodybuilding contest is different from those of the UFC, the NFL, and other sports," IFBB Pro League President Jim Manion says. "The fans are more than spectators—they live bodybuilding and fitness. Just go to any show and you can see it isn't your normal passive crowd. Many compete or have competed before. They are experts and know what to look for, and I believe they deserve a say in the final outcome."
    In the event the athlete earning the fan vote does not win the title, that competitor will be crowned the 2018 People's Champion.
    Today's announcement generated an immediate reaction from the IFBB pros planning to compete:
    "Hearing that the fans will have an active role in who they feel should be the 2018 Mr. Olympia is a great idea! I will do my very best and give it my everything to be the last man standing in Las Vegas come September." —William Bonac, 2018 Arnold Classic champion and 2017 Mr. Olympia second runner-up.
    "Fan voting changes the game and will make a huge difference. I am all for officially naming a People's Champion, because I am always the People's Champion." —Shawn Rhoden, 2016 Mr. Olympia first runner-up.
    "Yes! I think this is going to be great! I'm always the People's Champion, so this could finally be Sandow No. 2 for me!" —Dexter Jackson, 2008 Mr. Olympia.
    Interestingly enough, Phil Heath, the current Mr. Olympia, who will be going for his record-tying eighth Sandow trophy, had no comment on the fan voting.
    count me out cuz I still got a flip phone with zero internet on it .

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    Terrible comparison. The Super Bowl champs aren’t picked by judges who decide played the best.
    Exactly!

As far as I can see, only attendees can vote live.

I suppose we will see surveys in the forums and web sities, it will be interesting if the online public coincides with the evaluation and opinion of the public live.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Terrible idea. Why not just bring back the Challenge Round
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

I hope they don’t announce the People’s Champ on stage. At least bbing.com did the announcement after the show.
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by Alito View Post
    I've been at the 2015 Mr Olympia,and a lot of the people booooo Phil very very loudly,some people hate Phil.He is not as popular as Ronnie or Jay.
    But the ones NOT booing Phil...is it safe to say they actually agree he was the better bodybuilder on that day? I am going to go with the unpopular guess and predict Phil wins this vote as well. As long as he shows up to deserve it which my guess is yes. I predict no other bodybuilder comes close even in the fan vote. The only person I think would have had a chance would have been Kai years ago as that was a 'rivalry'. Now there is no 2nd place man that everyone is watching... Big Ramy? Not really, Shawn, Dexter, Bonac? Not so much... And the new threats? Again, all the votes will be spread all over the map for peoples favorite personality, with Phil having enough votes based on fans just picking who looked the best.

You heard it hear first, Phil wins the peoples champ vote by a fair margin.

I was at the Olympia last year and I didn’t hear a single boo when Phil won. I was actually expecting some but I didn’t hear any.
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    I was at the Olympia last year and I didn’t hear a single boo when Phil won. I was actually expecting some but I didn’t hear any.
    That's because you were sitting too far away from me.

Just kidding

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't count against Phil winning the fans vote. Not because the fans love him, but because he done something to deserve it.

If he can come in with a tight waist and close to his best for the Olympia, even the most biased fans wouldn't deny he deserved the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    If he can come in with a tight waist and close to his best for the Olympia, even the most biased fans wouldn't deny he deserved the win.
    The people champion is not necessarily the best athlete of that day.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    The people champion is not necessarily the best athlete of that day.
    I'd imagine the bodybuilding fans going to the Olympia will generally be a little more knowledgeable and less bias than the fans you see on insta.

I think they'll vote for the person they feel has the best physique that day and not the guy they most wanna oil up. Not saying everyone will vote and have Phil, but plenty will if he brings his best package.

This reminds me of Pumping Iron and the Mike Katz segment where he speaks of always being the most popular and most supported - like when they announce him as 4th but off the podium

Quote Originally Posted by a.j View Post
    im not feeling this at all.
    horrible idea, horrible idea .

what would be better for the olympia would be bring back the master olympia contest .
    That would be epic, give away 150 000 for first place..All the legends like dennis james, ruhl, wheeler, etch would return.

THE PLACE WOULD BE SOLD OUT SIMPLY ON THAT
    I agree AJ, the masters Olympia , would be a much better use of resources for bodybuilding fans.

However, the fan text judging may be a push to increase a social media presence for the OLympia.
    We don't relate to that, and we care more about the quality of pro bodybuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    This reminds me of Pumping Iron and the Mike Katz segment where he speaks of always being the most popular and most supported - like when they announce him as 4th but off the podium
    Ironic how others who fail to place high say the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    I wouldn't count against Phil winning the fans vote. Not because the fans love him, but because he done something to deserve it.

That's a great point.
    Phil gets his share of negative comments.
    But, very few fans and media at the Olympia say he wasn't the clear winner.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast