Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the push to legalize steroids ?

Default Where is the push to legalize steroids ?

Like many here, I'd prefer having steroids and HGH as legal drugs in every country.
    Problem is, I don't see a viable plan of action in place to legalize them.

The sanctioning organizations have them listed as "banned substances" despite
    a total lack of enforcement via testing. For "PR" reasons, I suspect they'd still
    ban 'em , IF they were made legal. So, I don't see any push or demand from
    the bodybuilding officials.

The film " Bigger, Stronger , Faster" was an excellent documentary on the need to legalize steroids.
    But, despite the logical points made for legalized steroids, little is actually done .
    In fact, I suspect the hardcore bodybuilding world, really doesn't want them legalized. Huh?

To be clear, nobody wants to get busted and go to jail over steroids.
    BUT legalization would put a huge dent in the steroid dealers underground business.
    The dealers and users don't really care about legalization.
    They simply want to be left alone to operate as they please in the shadows.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

They are legal Howard

Behemoth

Just decriminalize it. If they catch your package they can seize it but drop the threat of the feds showing up at your door. Of course I'm pro legalization but that feels like a bridge too far in 2018

Abuse of steroids causes heart- and other health problems. There's a considerable price tag attached to that, so they will never legalize the use and selling without a prescription.
    A forum without humor is like a gym without Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat Junkie View Post
    Abuse of steroids causes heart- and other health problems. There's a considerable price tag attached to that, so they will never legalize the use and selling without a prescription.
    Smoking causes lung cancer and other health problems - legalized
    Abuse of alcohol causes liver damage and other health problems - legalized
    I stop me....no one else does.

I do agree with you.
    But governments aren't going to accept any additional costs.
    It's a bit hypocrite, I know.
    Last edited by Squat Junkie; July 12th, 2018 at 10:03 AM.
    A forum without humor is like a gym without Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat Junkie View Post
    I do agree with you.
    But governments are going to accept any additional costs.
    It's a bit hypocrite, I know.
    The government would definitely make there cut from it, if they made it easier to obtain them through prescription. Biggest difference between AAS being legalized, as opposed to cigarettes and alcohol being legal is, you don’t have to spend money going to see a doctor to get them. I’m thinking that there’s a ton of users out there with no health insurance and also lack the funds to pay out of pocket for blood work.
    I stop me....no one else does.

The amount of money the govt would have to shell out to treat steroid users is a drop in the ocean compared to the astronomical costs resulting from obesity and diabetes, plus opiate addiction, smoking, alcohol, etc
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    The amount of money the govt would have to shell out to treat steroid users is a drop in the ocean compared to the astronomical costs resulting from obesity and diabetes, plus opiate addiction, smoking, alcohol, etc
    Great point!

I read/hear plenty of good logical arguments for legalization of steroids. I agree with most of them.
    Problem is, I see no proposed action to legalize steroids from any bodybuilding organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Great point!

I read/hear plenty of good logical arguments for legalization of steroids. I agree with most of them.
    Problem is, I see no proposed action to legalize steroids from any bodybuilding organization.
    They would never do that, it would be a PR nightmare for them

MD Online Editor
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    Smoking causes lung cancer and other health problems - legalized
    Abuse of alcohol causes liver damage and other health problems - legalized
    I agree 100%
    The IFBB could easily use this as one of the key reasons for legalizing steroids.
    But they do the exact opposite and promote banning steroids instead.

To me, that's like the NACCP promoting the banning of MLK speeches back in the 1960's.

Seriously now, think about it from that stand point.
    The IFBB's public face promotes banning the drugs, they require their pros to use.
    It runs counter to what is actually going on in their contests. Hypocrites!

I don't use any juice, but admire the pros that compete "enhanced".
    C'mon now, if you can't openly discuss steroid use, how are we ever going to legalize it?
    You can't lobby for change, if you won't admit the problem.

Great point!

Mess booze made legal again, after prohibition, because some federation with an acronym took a stand against the government? How about weed- we’ve seen a tremendous push towards legalization as of late- is that push coming from an organization, or a corporation, or rather, is it because the “everyday opinion” of weed, among the masses, has slowly changed and evolved over the last 50 some years? Equal rights for African Americans- of suffrage for women- were those movements led by companies and sports leagues, or were they led by individual thinkers who wrote, lectures, published and protested?

I agree it sucks that the IFBB doesn’t publicly go to war for decriminalizing steroids- but I also realize that it’s prefty unrealistic to expect them to do so. Business entities typically don’t take stands on moral laws, and this law is NOT based on science, but on morality, like an old blue law- same reason booze was prohibited, had nothing to do with help.

If you want to truly see things changed, do your part- quit complaining about steroids in sport (which we both know is universal, to ALL sports), and instead, get out there and educate your friends, family, and other person who will listen. Seeing that you are known to like hearing your own voice at times, I feel that would be a far more productive avenue for you truly pursuing what you’re after- bodybuilders being able to compete without breaking the law- as it would help, over time, to change the laws. Vs coming to a bodybuilding forum for years on end, bitching about steroid use in bodybuilding.

You and I both agree that change is needed, we just disagree on the mechanism for change. For me, I think the mechanism is slowly educating the ignorant masses who have been misled. For you, it’s complaining on a bodybuilding forum, knowing in advance that nobody’s opinion here is going to be swayed in the least. As an educator, you should know how to know your audience, and relay your message so that it is properly received.

-lifepulse

I agree 100%
    The IFBB could easily use this as one of the key reasons for legalizing steroids.
    But they do the exact opposite and promote banning steroids instead.

To me, that's like the NACCP promoting the banning of MLK speeches back in the 1960's.

Seriously now, think about it from that stand point.
    The IFBB's public face promotes banning the drugs, they require their pros to use.
    It runs counter to what is actually going on in their contests. Hypocrites!

I don't use any juice, but admire the pros that compete "enhanced".
    C'mon now, if you can't openly discuss steroid use, how are we ever going to legalize it?
    You can't lobby for change, if you won't admit the problem.
    People have been openly talking about their steroid use on podcasts since at least 2013, AND making the scientific points about health, and political points about legalization- so your reasoning here holds no water. There are countless avenues to educate and politk these days- blogging, YouTube, podcasts, etc. Joe Rogrj gets millions of listens every single day, and openly discusses using psilocybin mushrooms on the regular- police don’t seem to be kicking down his door.

-lifepulse

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    They would never do that, it would be a PR nightmare for them

MD Online Editor
    THIS is where the hardcore world of contest bodybuilding loses me.
    The individual pro bodybuilders take the legal risks and the organization acts innocent.

In my mind, the pros should refuse to use illegal drugs UNLESS the IFBB provides legal aid backing them.
    But no, the pros will up the drug war and do anything to win. I guess that makes sense, if your main goal is winning.
    I wasn't anything great as a bodybuilder, but I saw pro BB as a haphazard industry .
    Every time I consider even buying tickets to an IFBB pro event, I think about this stuff.
    I really like some of the people in the contest industry. But, I don't like how the main organization is run .

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    People have been openly talking about their steroid use on podcasts since at least 2013, AND making the scientific points about health, and political points about legalization- so your reasoning here holds no water. There are countless avenues to educate and politk these days- blogging, YouTube, podcasts, etc. Joe Rogrj gets millions of listens every single day, and openly discusses using psilocybin mushrooms on the regular- police donít seem to be kicking down his door.

-lifepulse
    Yes, lot's of people out there talking about the issue .
    Ok, so where is the plan of action to change to laws? Is any bodybuilding organization lobbying congress or doing protests?
    Doesn't exist!

In fact, the biggest bodybuilding organization promotes banning drugs.
    Repealing prohibition had an official plan of action of numerous public protests. Same with the push to legalize pot.

I ask again , where is the actual official plan to legalize steroids ?

PS/ I don't use drugs and would be fine with drug free pros. To me, that's the best path.
    BUT, I also know their is snowballs chance in hell of getting drugs out of bodybuilding.
    I simply don't want to see the BB pros I admire , taking such legal risks.

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Mess booze made legal again, after prohibition, because some federation with an acronym took a stand against the government? How about weed- we’ve seen a tremendous push towards legalization as of late- is that push coming from an organization, or a corporation, or rather, is it because the “everyday opinion” of weed, among the masses, has slowly changed and evolved over the last 50 some years? Equal rights for African Americans- of suffrage for women- were those movements led by companies and sports leagues, or were they led by individual thinkers who wrote, lectures, published and protested?

I agree it sucks that the IFBB doesn’t publicly go to war for decriminalizing steroids- but I also realize that it’s prefty unrealistic to expect them to do so. Business entities typically don’t take stands on moral laws, and this law is NOT based on science, but on morality, like an old blue law- same reason booze was prohibited, had nothing to do with help.

If you want to truly see things changed, do your part- quit complaining about steroids in sport (which we both know is universal, to ALL sports), and instead, get out there and educate your friends, family, and other person who will listen. Seeing that you are known to like hearing your own voice at times, I feel that would be a far more productive avenue for you truly pursuing what you’re after- bodybuilders being able to compete without breaking the law- as it would help, over time, to change the laws. Vs coming to a bodybuilding forum for years on end, bitching about steroid use in bodybuilding.

You and I both agree that change is needed, we just disagree on the mechanism for change. For me, I think the mechanism is slowly educating the ignorant masses who have been misled. For you, it’s complaining on a bodybuilding forum, knowing in advance that nobody’s opinion here is going to be swayed in the least. As an educator, you should know how to know your audience, and relay your message so that it is properly received.

-lifepulse
    I honestly believe the IFBB pro div would continue trying to ban steroids, even if they legalized.

making substances illegal doesn't stop people from using them.
    seriously the fact that governments haven't realized this yet is baffling.
    legalize things, and the same people will be using the same stuff more likely under safer conditions, and not having to fear having their lives ruined by the "justice" system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast