Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Road to a 600lb Deadlift

Default Road to a 600lb Deadlift

Hey people, I'm an avid fan of all strength sports (strongman, powerlifting, Olympic), combat and also bodybuilding.
    Tried bodybuilding at my early years but soon I found out I didn't have the build for it but I kept training to try to be at the best shape I could be but lifting heavy has always something I enjoy. When I turned 43 (call it midlife crisis if you want) I became obsess with dead-lifting and put a mark of 600lb as a goal, currently my PR is 425 (that went up fairly easy), I am following the below 12 week plan to hit bigger numbers:

Week 1 - No belt 1" deficit with 55% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 2 - Belt with 86% of desired PR (1x5)
    Week 3 - No belt 1" deficit with 57% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 4 - Belt with 89% of desired PR (1x4)
    Week 5 - No belt 1" deficit with 59% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 6 - Belt with 91% of desired PR (1x3)
    Week 7 - No belt 1" deficit with 61% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 8 - Belt with 93% of desired PR (1x2)
    Week 9 - No belt 1" deficit with 63% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 10 - Belt with 95% of desired PR (2x1)
    Week 11 - No belt 1" deficit with 65% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 12 - Belt with desired PR (1x1)

I supplement this with Reverse Hypers and Heavy Hip Thrusts.
    I'm currently 45 years old and I really don't know for how long my body will allow me to do this (I also train Brazilian jiu jitsu) so any help you can provide to make the process to get me there quicker (like how much weight should i jump every cycle, accessory exercises, etc) will be greatly appreciated.

I guess I should move this thread to the No Bull section?

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Boards are quiet these days.
    Are you still aiming for 600?
    Heres my .02:
    Too big of a goal. Long term is great, but life happens. If your best to date is 425, aim for 455 next. Then 495 followed by 545, 585 and finally 600.
    I FAILED at 675 for YEARS. My best was 655 and I just couldn't get that 7th plate on the bar. I was hitting it pretty good for a while and a max day planned out. I said to myself if I miss again I won't be too happy so I decided to hit 660 first, that way if I missed 675 AGAIN, I would still have a new PR to go home with. I ended up hitting 660 AND 675 that day. Down the road I got 700 off the floor a few time but never a full pull.
    I'd be happy to help if I can. Let me know.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

I LOVE DEADLIFTS!!!!! I agree with tjoe, set your goals a little lower to not get discouraged. My progress now comes in 2.5 tp 5 lb. increments not the 20 to 30 lbs. jumps that I used to. I am deadlifting 500 lbs. again after breaking my finger badly last summer and now looking for 510. Good luck.
    "Of course I can lift it"