Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road to a 600lb Deadlift

Default Road to a 600lb Deadlift

Hey people, I'm an avid fan of all strength sports (strongman, powerlifting, Olympic), combat and also bodybuilding.
    Tried bodybuilding at my early years but soon I found out I didn't have the build for it but I kept training to try to be at the best shape I could be but lifting heavy has always something I enjoy. When I turned 43 (call it midlife crisis if you want) I became obsess with dead-lifting and put a mark of 600lb as a goal, currently my PR is 425 (that went up fairly easy), I am following the below 12 week plan to hit bigger numbers:

Week 1 - No belt 1" deficit with 55% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 2 - Belt with 86% of desired PR (1x5)
    Week 3 - No belt 1" deficit with 57% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 4 - Belt with 89% of desired PR (1x4)
    Week 5 - No belt 1" deficit with 59% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 6 - Belt with 91% of desired PR (1x3)
    Week 7 - No belt 1" deficit with 61% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 8 - Belt with 93% of desired PR (1x2)
    Week 9 - No belt 1" deficit with 63% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 10 - Belt with 95% of desired PR (2x1)
    Week 11 - No belt 1" deficit with 65% of desired PR (3x5)
    Week 12 - Belt with desired PR (1x1)

I supplement this with Reverse Hypers and Heavy Hip Thrusts.
    I'm currently 45 years old and I really don't know for how long my body will allow me to do this (I also train Brazilian jiu jitsu) so any help you can provide to make the process to get me there quicker (like how much weight should i jump every cycle, accessory exercises, etc) will be greatly appreciated.

Gain of strength (and less loss) are more sustainable and possible than muscle gain as you get older. But the weight gain you want to make is a very big leap, if you have been in the world of force for a long time, your progression margin should not be so great.

Your training seems good, but you are not training heavy partials. And maybe, you do not need to train in deficit, if your weakness is in the final part of the movement.

You are training squats and bench?
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

Nope, not training heavy partials, how do i include them?
    the reason for the deficit is becasue i usally have issues at the tarting point, idk if it is a mobility problem or what
    i do train squats (not heavy) but not bench, i usually work with hammer-strength, dont have the healthiest elbows

Do you only train the deadlift once a week? I would like to have a higher frequency, 3 or 4 weekly.

To do partials you would do rack pull in the cage, but these techniques should only be introduced if you believe that you need to work that weak point. If your failure is the beginning, continue with your current method.

Ok cool thanks

3 to 4 times per week frequency? For a heavy compound movement like deads? Too much in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    3 to 4 times per week frequency? For a heavy compound movement like deads? Too much in my book
    Keep in mind that he does not bench, and trains squats lightly.

In addition, the frequency may be higher if the intensity and volume is not very high. All this must be in balance, but a frequency of one is insufficient in almost any power program.

Barbarian

try the strong lifts 5x5 program for 8 weeks.
    why do deficits? is your weak point the explosion off the floor?

5X5 is a good program, then I would like to move to a 6x3, and finally singles = 8-10x1.

I am 47 and a competitive powerlifter still making gains, I also trained in Krav Maga for several years at the same time, you just have to manage your recovery. You can train very hard and still make gains as you age, the biggest difference is it takes longer to warm up and longer to recover.

I like 5/3/1 or The Cube Method programs but there are a lot of good programs out there.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    I am 47 and a competitive powerlifter still making gains, I also trained in Krav Maga for several years at the same time, you just have to manage your recovery. You can train very hard and still make gains as you age, the biggest difference is it takes longer to warm up and longer to recover.

I like 5/3/1 or The Cube Method programs but there are a lot of good programs out there.
    I used 5/3/1.
    I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by rroberto View Post
    try the strong lifts 5x5 program for 8 weeks.
    why do deficits? is your weak point the explosion off the floor?
    Yes, that has been one of my main issues, exploding offf the floor but has improved during this year drastically.
    do you suggest just to train regulaty ithout deficit?

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post

yes definitely a challenge but I like to train both (BJJ and lifting)and always trying to get an edge for recovery (sauna, massages, cryotherapy)

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    Keep in mind that he does not bench, and trains squats lightly.

In addition, the frequency may be higher if the intensity and volume is not very high. All this must be in balance, but a frequency of one is insufficient in almost any power program.
    How would you suggest to add more DL during the week, would I need to change my current program ? On how I set the weight progress?

Behemoth

Your program will work for many, but going 3 months without hitting a set of 6+reps I think is a mistake if you hit the last couple warm up sets for 6-8 I think you'd benefit from some higher volume sets. Whenever I've done a PL training cycle with no heavy volume work involved I get super strong quickly but then I stall out.

Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by OZ1972 View Post
    Yes, that has been one of my main issues, exploding offf the floor but has improved during this year drastically.
    do you suggest just to train regulaty ithout deficit?
    I would focus hitting your squats with more frequency, 2-3 times a week. deadlift weekly. if the deficits work, so be it. however, I would try to stay in the 5-4 rep range longer rather tan descending to singles right away.
    also, keep in mind almost any well known program works for 6 weeks. keep trying new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ1972 View Post
    How would you suggest to add more DL during the week, would I need to change my current program ? On how I set the weight progress?
    How is your current program?

You can use squats more frequently, they will give you transfer for the deadlift (and you could keep it as now, often 1), but you said you do not do heavy squats.

To progress in the weight, you must train with a volume that allows you to handle 80-90% of your maximum weight, when you perform a higher intensity, your number of sets of each workout should be less. Play also with rest times between sets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast