Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Back Training with Lee Haney

Default Back Training with Lee Haney

One thing he did say was shrugs, Barbell behind your back. Good tip.

Best takeaway is his comments on Barbell Rows. Dude was Mr O, the Michael Jordan of bodybuilding, known for back development.... and he used 185 on barbell rows. This is absolutely spot on. The risk/reward of going heavy is not worth it, AND it is ineffective to jerk around heavy weights. My gym is loaded with rail thin bros jerking around 275 on barbell rows or loading up the landmine T-Bar row and using nothing but momentum, biceps, and low back to move the bar. NOBODY CARES HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU USE.

Quote Originally Posted by swaminator View Post
    Best takeaway is his comments on Barbell Rows. Dude was Mr O, the Michael Jordan of bodybuilding, known for back development.... and he used 185 on barbell rows. This is absolutely spot on. The risk/reward of going heavy is not worth it, AND it is ineffective to jerk around heavy weights. My gym is loaded with rail thin bros jerking around 275 on barbell rows or loading up the landmine T-Bar row and using nothing but momentum, biceps, and low back to move the bar. NOBODY CARES HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU USE.
    yes i agree i now use a weight i feel. Deadlifts are worse in most gyms.

What now constitutes barbell bent over rows is a travesty. People anywhere from weekend warriors to top pros are doing a semi standing row shrug with tons of weight and very little range of motion. Then people are suprised when mid and low lat development is lacking.

I see videos of these modern dudes using back breaking weights and literally destroying their spine in a quest for progressive overload. Does it work? Maybe, but at what cost? Haney used 185 on bent rows and was a multi time Mr O. He never sacrificed his overall health and still built far more muscle than anyone else. I don't care if you are currently a pro or not, trust a guy like me who has been in the gym since 1984. NEVER sacrifice your spine in order to add a few more pounds on the bar. You might think it will make a bitchen YouTube video now for all your "broteges", but 15 years from now, when you are crippled in a wheel chair and choking down oxy just to make it through the day, you will regret it.