Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rising Phoenix and Arizona Pro!!

2. Margie Martin

«Humanity has been led by failures.»

3. Sheila Bleck

4. Nicki Chartrand

5. Helle Trevino

6. Jill Blondin

7. Virginia Sanchez

8. Tananarive Huie

9. LaDawn McDay

10. Maria Mikola

11. Jacqueline Fuchs

12. Maryse Manios

13. Susanna Jacobs

14. Wendy McCready

15. Barbara Caritą

16. Angela Rayburn

16. Cristina Franzoso

16. Isabel Turell

16. Patty Corbett

16. Pauline Nelson

Barbarian

Margie martin wasn't super peeled, but has some big quads!

Scrolling through the pics that Beti posted, is interesting. Specifically page 3, where the WPD winners are posted, first through fifth, and then it flows right into Alina Popa, first place women's BB.

If I didn't follow the sport, and know the inner workings, I would have zero idea where there was a divide between the top 5 in WPD, and the first few in women's BB. The look is incredibly similar, except as we got deeper into BB placings, the women got a little thicker-- but mostly just less conventionally attractive.

Since they announced the creation of WPD, I jokingly (but honestly) described it to my competitors as "drug-light women's BB."

Looking at these pictures, makes that no longer a joke. The standard with development, conditioning, and separation, is no different, regardless of what the officials say, or what memos they release.

The WPD are a little smaller-- and a little less toxic-looking-- on average.

Makes me think of the "official release" from the IFBB in 2004, that female bodybuilders "needed to come in 20% less big, hard, separated" at the following year's Olympia. They still rewarded Iris, and still rewarded the standards that they always had.

They could have shifted directions. They could have said, "this is where we want to take it", and started rewarding girls more of the WPD look.

Humorous for those who have a memory, and know that we've already done this song and dance.

-lifepulse

Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Scrolling through the pics that Beti posted, is interesting. Specifically page 3, where the WPD winners are posted, first through fifth, and then it flows right into Alina Popa, first place women's BB.

If I didn't follow the sport, and know the inner workings, I would have zero idea where there was a divide between the top 5 in WPD, and the first few in women's BB. The look is incredibly similar, except as we got deeper into BB placings, the women got a little thicker-- but mostly just less conventionally attractive.

Since they announced the creation of WPD, I jokingly (but honestly) described it to my competitors as "drug-light women's BB."

Looking at these pictures, makes that no longer a joke. The standard with development, conditioning, and separation, is no different, regardless of what the officials say, or what memos they release.

Makes me think of the "official release" from the IFBB in 2004, that female bodybuilders "needed to come in 20% less big, hard, separated" at the following year's Olympia. They still rewarded Iris, and still rewarded the standards that they always had.

They could have shifted directions. They could have said, "this is where we want to take it", and started rewarding girls more of the WPD look.

Humorous for those who have a memory, and know that we've already done this song and dance.

-lifepulse

Compare the WBB to WPD. the WPD winner was crazy shredded and might have beaten Alina in WBB. im confused, lol, I'm sticking to bikini!

In theory, WPD should be smaller, but also softer than bodybuilders.

Excelent routine!

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    She had problems with Tim Gardner to enter the first Rising show when she was required to qualify for the show despite the fact that she was 10 times Miss Olympia. Was also asked to soften his look. So since Tim, is the one who organizes all the female bodybuilding shows, the door is closed for her.
    https://www.musclesportmag.com/2016/...rength-issues/
    Wasnt Gardner. It was Lenda Murray who.screwed her.

Barbarian

how about this fresh looking over 40 mother of 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    That was when Aceto prepped her.Or was it 2017? He says he wont prep women anymore. Trevino was a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post

-lifepulse
    David,

As always, an astute assessment.

I was there at the show, with good seats in the VIP section for both the PJ and night show. You're pretty much dead on in that there is limitation, so to speak, in terms of how conditioned the WPD competitors can be. As it has been for some time (I think Jamie Pinder was one of the first WPD competitors to come in really diced several years ago), the WPD competitors are bringing shredded glutes and conditioning at a level with men and women bodybuilders. Same was true here, but the major difference (that I don't think pics are picking up on) really was the muscular size of the WBB. Many of these women are really trying to pack on as much size as possible, I think, with a different mindset for aesthetics.

Alina wasn't the largest of the WBB'er and was indeed outsized by Margie M. and Helle T. (although she outconditioned Helle). They did pick Alina as the winner, which I think was a good call, but I would not have been surprised to see Margie win, either. (It was a 1 point margin, they said at the show.) So, I think here's a a bit of split perhaps in what the focus of women's BB should be (even now that it's not at the O or the Arnold): Should they just let them push into mass monster territory or is there a greater weight on ("feminine") symmetry that was is seen with men's BB'ing.

But you're entirely right in that the conditioning does not at all seem to be a distinguishing feature for WPD vs. WBB. Some of the women's BB'er weren't in top shape and this was the case for some WPD competitors, too, so there was probably nearly an overall average tie in terms of conditioning for WPD vs. WBB, but the women's BB'er were much larger, really.

As another example that there is still a focus on symmetry in WBB, a competitor from Italy (I forget her name) was VERY large, lean as hell (veins and graininess across her glutes) but lacking in quad vs. calf size (quads relatively undersized) and missing back width compared to arm and delt mass. She was impressive from an overall muscularity standpoint, maybe in the top 3 most muscular women in the show, but was in the very last callout (of three women in a field of 20) and probably tied for the proverbial 16th place, i'd bet. She outmuscled and outconditioned at least 50% of the field, I'd say, but her symmetry put her at bottom of the pile, when I'd bet if the same situation presented itself in men's BB'ing, a male version would have probably placed maybe 7-10th (2nd vs. 4th callout) simply based on muscle and condition. You could see she was very happy with what she brought to stage initially and not as happy with her callout.

-S

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast