Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much protein can your body assimulate during a single meal for muscle building?

Default How much protein can your body assimulate during a single meal for muscle building?

A article reference and link to full article has been posted in the Masters Bodybuilding Forum in the Nutrition thread on how much protein can the body use in a single meal for muscle-building? Implications for daily protein distribution.

Link to thread:http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...4979-Nutrition

Link to article reference: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...=1#post4375330

Abstract

Controversy exists about the maximum amount of protein that can be utilized for lean tissue-building purposes in a single meal for those involved in regimented resistance training. It has been proposed that muscle protein synthesis is maximized in young adults with an intake of ~ 20–25 g of a high-quality protein; anything above this amount is believed to be oxidized for energy or transaminated to form urea and other organic acids. However, these findings are specific to the provision of fast-digesting proteins without the addition of other macronutrients. Consumption of slower-acting protein sources, particularly when consumed in combination with other macronutrients, would delay absorption and thus conceivably enhance the utilization of the constituent amino acids. The purpose of this paper was twofold: 1) to objectively review the literature in an effort to determine an upper anabolic threshold for per-meal protein intake; 2) draw relevant conclusions based on the current data so as to elucidate guidelines for per-meal daily protein distribution to optimize lean tissue accretion

I recall years ago Dr Lonnie Lowery saying 20 grams was the limit.

I think it will vary for each person

For anyone interested, lazy, or too stupid to read, article says to maximize anabolism take in a minimum 1.6g of protein per kg of bodyweight, max of 2.2g per kg of bodyweight, spread evenly across at least four meals a day.
    In the sea of heavy metal, you are plankton.

Behemoth

If you think there is one empirical answer that applies to everyone you don't know anything about anything.

That said, of course there are averages and that is what literature is for. Those who excel in bb have different biochemistry than the rest of us obviously so I'd expect your average IFBB pro is significantly different than the average human.

If you make 5-6 meals a day and yo don lift weights, your body will not require much protein for food.

If you eat 1 or 2 times a day, as our ancestors did, believe me, your body will use all the protein of every meal and it will not waste anything, even if it contains 100 grams or more.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

I'm never less than 30g-60g a sitting 5/6/7 times a day (if you count intra)
    D E S T R O Y

Behemoth

What if you ate once per day and consumed 150 g of protein? Would you assimilate 30 g and eventually excrete the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Womanthrower View Post
    For anyone interested, lazy, or too stupid to read, article says to maximize anabolism take in a minimum 1.6g of protein per kg of bodyweight, max of 2.2g per kg of bodyweight, spread evenly across at least four meals a day.
    Thanks, I am interested but too lazy to read it.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Milos Sarcev consumed up to 500 gram of protein p/day.
    I don't think het ate only six meals p/day, but let's assume he had 8 meals p/day. That is 62,5 grams of protein each meal/serving.
    A forum without humor is like a gym without Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    What if you ate once per day and consumed 150 g of protein? Would you assimilate 30 g and eventually excrete the rest?
    Based on what I have read in that article and other articles, any amount of protein over the amount required for maintenance and protein synthesis will be oxidized by the body and not used for muscle tissue building.
    Maintenance protein requirements are variable, based on but not all inclusive individual genetics, metabolism, muscle mass maintenance, BMR and activity levels.
    It varies per study.
    Usually the amount required for protein synthesis indicated in the studies I have read, is around 23 grams in someone under the age of 40 and 40 grams for people over 40.

I don't buy the 20-30g at a sitting. Your body doesn't automatically start digesting and pass food in a window regardless of size. It will digest a larger meal over a longer period. If this wasn't the case you could enjoy cheat meals all the time and never get fat because your body can only process so much of that large pizza and gallon of ice cream.

Our species has been around and evolving for thousands of years. Eating "in windows" or several small meals has only been around a couple centuries max. Your body will adapt to the nutrition it receives and when it needs it. That's why intermittent fasting works, 6-8 bro meals works, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroesFall View Post
    I don't buy the 20-30g at a sitting. Your body doesn't automatically start digesting and pass food in a window regardless of size. It will digest a larger meal over a longer period. If this wasn't the case you could enjoy cheat meals all the time and never get fat because your body can only process so much of that large pizza and gallon of ice cream.

Our species has been around and evolving for thousands of years. Eating "in windows" or several small meals has only been around a couple centuries max. Your body will adapt to the nutrition it receives and when it needs it. That's why intermittent fasting works, 6-8 bro meals works, etc.
    That's stinkin' thinkin' right there. How the hell do you extrapolate how your body utilizes protein for muscle building into a statement about all calories in general?
    In the sea of heavy metal, you are plankton.

Quote Originally Posted by Womanthrower View Post
    That's stinkin' thinkin' right there. How the hell do you extrapolate how your body utilizes protein for muscle building into a statement about all calories in general?
    Why would your body magically only process protein a certain way but not carbs or fats? Doesn't it seem strange the body would only be able to utilize 20-30g of protein but an abnormally larger amount of the others? All 3 macros can be broken down into energy and yes protein is the sole macro used for rebuilding tissue (although energy to do so requires the other two).

Similarly, if your body can only pull 20-30g protein at a meal or sitting (even though digestion takes several hours) then it also has the same amount of time to pull other resources for energy or energy storage (fat).

That's the reasoning for my extrapolation.

80g of protein for a 220-280lb male, over 300lbs i would asume over 100g or until your toilet bowl explodes from the shit you take

Behemoth

HeroesFall is actually asking my question better than I did. Any other opinions or explanations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    HeroesFall is actually asking my question better than I did. Any other opinions or explanations?
    if you're a 300lb male then by all means eat 150g of protein at one time but Ron Colemen didn't even do that and would consume around 60g of solid protein and another 40g in shake liquid form or 100g totall and would have one of his 8 kids ready with a plunger when he came out of the bathroom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast