Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone actually predicting Lunsford in the top 3?

Yes. I'll say 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by somedevil View Post
    He looks soft-ish in recent pics , definitely nowhere near the muscle maturity of those older guys. Top 3 will be tough to crack
    This.

He looks amazing, complete, great shape, but his muscles don't have that hard look. Or he's not in perfect condition just yet, not sure which one is it.

4th or maximum 3rd if Jose or Ahmad slips up. But if the politics of next big white hope train is rolling then he could place 2nd to bring fresh blood and excitment to 212 as Derek is young, has mainstream stucture, great lines, small waist, no toxic look and he is good looking kid that is outspoken...

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Just watch
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

He will be the 212 version of 2001 Jay Cutler.

Quote Originally Posted by darn door View Post
    I don't know why everyone is just assuming he will leapfrog over Jose, David and Ahmad, who all beat him handily last year. Don't think they will put up a fight? It's all social media hype. Everyone is talking about all the crazy improvements he made, but I'm not buying it until I seem them on stage. The pictures from Instagram can be very misleading. Wouldn't surprise me if half the kids predicting top 3 for him just follow him in social media because Luimarco or whoever mentioned him and don't even know who Jose Raymond is.
    His year on year progression is there for all to see. He was under 205lbs at the O last year and this year is struggling to make weight. Lui has nothing to do with my opinion, 12 months ago I said Derek had too much potential to just be a 212 guy.

It's not about forgetting about Ahmad, David and Jose. The new guys coming through like Derek, Hadi, Ricardo, Nicolas etc are 'big' 212 guys in the mould of Flex Lewis. They are guys who are ready at around 220lbs who then need to suck to 212lbs. They have a distinct advantage over guys like Ahmad, David and Jose who are more like blown up 202 guys.

But hey Ash,Kamal,Jose,David, has much more muscle maturity than he does,so will see what happens.
    We're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy...

Quote Originally Posted by spasatel View Post
    4th or maximum 3rd if Jose or Ahmad slips up. But if the politics of next big white hope train is rolling then he could place 2nd to bring fresh blood and excitment to 212 as Derek is young, has mainstream stucture, great lines, small waist, no toxic look and he is good looking kid that is outspoken...

It’s “politics” if they give it to Derek, because:

-he has mainstream structure
    -he has great lines
    -he has a small waist (no gut)
    -he has no toxic look

A far “less political” call would be to give it to somebody with bad structure, bad lines, a big waist, and a toxic look.

This thinking is what has made bodybuilding an irrelevant laughing stock to physique-athlete culture. If you have a toxic look, big waist, or shit lines, how can you even be considered as a top-5 threat? Yet someone shows up actually looking good, and not like a science experiment gone wrong, and it’s “politics”.

I know that’s not fully what you meant, and I’m not trying to put words into your mouth. But this thinking needs to be questioned, if competitive bodybuilding is ever to find its feet again.

-lifepulse

my top 3 are Jose,James and Clarida then Ashakani,Henry,Lunsford will be fighting for that 4th spot

Quote Originally Posted by Albin Eriksson View Post
    I think he can take 2nd, with ashkanani behind him on 3rd.
    I seriosly dont think Kamal is in the top5 mix...
    Kamal gonna hurt some feelings at the O for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post

-he has great lines
    -he has no toxic look

A far “less political” call would be to give it to somebody with bad structure, bad lines, a big waist, and a toxic look.

This thinking is what has made bodybuilding an irrelevant laughing stock to physique-athlete culture. If you have a toxic look, big waist, or shit lines, how can you even be considered as a top-5 threat? Yet someone shows up actually looking good, and not like a science experiment gone wrong, and it’s “politics”.

I know that’s not fully what you meant, and I’m not trying to put words into your mouth. But this thinking needs to be questioned, if competitive bodybuilding is ever to find its feet again.

-lifepulse
    I didn't express myself correctly, but I am confused with judging as sometimes they award condition, size, hardness, glutes, blue collar gnarly look after all and guys with great structure, small waist, good mainstream look are not awarded due to smaller size, not developed muscle maturity, not as hard, not gnarly, not crazy separated or overly full, dry, veiny and freaky... Seeing gnarly and freaky muscular packed guys like Ahmad, Jose and Flex are awarded... Which is not a bad thing!
    Both sides of the story will have guys screaming politics... but I am just happy that we didn't have any Kevin English again in 212 now - that was real politics...
    I don't see Derek beating Flex, but I am sure 2nd is absolutely likely to achieve this year, if he is dry, separated and shredded.
    Derek is future champion and has better set of tools than Flex I think... He just needs anither year or two and he will win shows in the open. That's how good he is.

Yes

All yall sleeping on Kamal......

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post

-he has great lines
    -he has no toxic look

-lifepulse
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by BullBulk View Post
    All yall sleeping on Kamal......
    If a bit fuller with same condition than Arnolds I have him a lock for top 3

Quote Originally Posted by Donflex View Post
    His year on year progression is there for all to see. He was under 205lbs at the O last year and this year is struggling to make weight. Lui has nothing to do with my opinion, 12 months ago I said Derek had too much potential to just be a 212 guy.

It's not about forgetting about Ahmad, David and Jose. The new guys coming through like Derek, Hadi, Ricardo, Nicolas etc are 'big' 212 guys in the mould of Flex Lewis. They are guys who are ready at around 220lbs who then need to suck to 212lbs. They have a distinct advantage over guys like Ahmad, David and Jose who are more like blown up 202 guys.
    I wasn't really talking about people on this forum. Most people here seem to have pretty informed opinions even if we don't always agree. I'm talking more about the people on other platforms like Youtube, Instagram and Reddit.

As for the bigger competitors who have to cut down to make weight, a lot of that has to come down to height. A 5'6 guy is going to have a harder time making weight than a 5'3 guy, but at the same time he isn't going to look as thick once he gets down to 212, and we know that Jose for instance can get as conditioned as anyone. Of course, you never know just how it will go down until we see them all next to each other. The guys you mentioned could place top 3 (or Hadi could even win if he was allowed to compete), and if that happens I will gladly admit I was wrong -- I just wouldn't bet on it happening. I've seen too many competitors get overhyped based on some filtered progress pics and then fail to deliver, to the point where any major social media hype gets my bullshit detector humming straight away.

Also, I'm worried that overhyping certain bodybuilders can actually hurt their careers. A good example is Steve Laureus, who had his career ruined by Luimarco just because his hype train got out of control before he was ready for it. If it weren't for that, everyone would think of him as an up-and-comer with great potential who needs some more experience. Instead, everyone thinks of him as a joke. I don't want to see that happen to Derek.

Based on his last insta training footage, he hasn’t really got much sharper in the last month. He’s going to need a lot of voodoo to crack top 3. Top end is stacked.
    Flex
    Jose
    Ahmad
    Kamal
    are all tough as fuck to beat.
    D E S T R O Y

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast