Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: venice beach california trip

decided to stay in santa monica. wont be far from the gym or 3rd street , im guessing there are a few good restaurants to choose from there .

Barbarian

your right in the heart of it on 3rd ,Golds isnt far a short ride away

great ! soooooo excited

any final recommendations ? also gonna check out wahoos .

My advice if you're staying a week or less is to get a one week free pass to Gold's gym from the Internet, instead of paying for each day. I've never tried it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. I train at 24 Hour Fitness in other parts of L.A., and at some point I want to save up for a one year membership to Gold's Venice.

Useful thread, I'm planning to visit LA in August for the first time. Was thinking of staying downtown and venturing out to Venice for a day trip. Is muscle beach worth a workout or just Golds?

Quote Originally Posted by JordanWFitness View Post
    Useful thread, I'm planning to visit LA in August for the first time. Was thinking of staying downtown and venturing out to Venice for a day trip. Is muscle beach worth a workout or just Golds?
    Muscle Beach is worth walking over to see but not to train at

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    My advice if you're staying a week or less is to get a one week free pass to Gold's gym from the Internet, instead of paying for each day. I've never tried it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. I train at 24 Hour Fitness in other parts of L.A., and at some point I want to save up for a one year membership to Gold's Venice.

I will try that

I will report back with some helpful info

Why stay downtown? Unless you know someone who lives downtown and there's a specific reason, you'll maybe want to spend one day downtown seeing some of the interesting architecture (Disney concert hall) and maybe going to the central market, and of course the area around Staples Center is a lot nicer these days, high end condos going up and a kinda hipster resurgence happening in the theater district. But you'll find yourself leaving DTLA and going elsewhere most of the time. This may be true wherever you stay since LA is so spread out. So if your goal is a more central location, look around the Miracle Mile area. It's just south of Hollywood/W. Hollywood, just east of BH, and a straight shot west of downtown. Head west through BH, the west side and Santa Monica and you're at the beach, close to Venice. North over Laurel Canyon or the Cahuenga Pass and you're in the SF Valley. Miracle Mile is the most central location to stay in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by cochran View Post
    Why stay downtown? Unless you know someone who lives downtown and there's a specific reason, you'll maybe want to spend one day downtown seeing some of the interesting architecture (Disney concert hall) and maybe going to the central market, and of course the area around Staples Center is a lot nicer these days, high end condos going up and a kinda hipster resurgence happening in the theater district. But you'll find yourself leaving DTLA and going elsewhere most of the time. This may be true wherever you stay since LA is so spread out. So if your goal is a more central location, look around the Miracle Mile area. It's just south of Hollywood/W. Hollywood, just east of BH, and a straight shot west of downtown. Head west through BH, the west side and Santa Monica and you're at the beach, close to Venice. North over Laurel Canyon or the Cahuenga Pass and you're in the SF Valley. Miracle Mile is the most central location to stay in LA.
    I've never been to LA in general. My wife and I are just planning a four night extended weekend. I want to go to Gold's so that's one day trip, figured we'd pack gym clothes and beach clothes and do the gym and beach.

Outside of that we don't have any direction or expectation. We figured downtown was a good place to park for our first trip. Just walk around, eat, and see stuff. I'd also like to go to the comedy store I believe that's in Beverly Hills but I don't think you'd stay in Beverly Hills? Better to go for the night for dinner and a show?

I'm open to any suggestions.
    Last edited by JordanWFitness; June 3rd, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

I've never been to LA in general. My wife and I are just planning a four night extended weekend. I want to go to Gold's so that's one day trip, figured we'd pack gym clothes and beach clothes and do the gym and beach.

Outside of that we don't have any direction or expectation. We figured downtown was a good place to park for our first trip. Just walk around, eat, and see stuff. I'd also like to go to the comedy store I believe that's in Beverly Hills but I don't think you'd stay in Beverly Hills? Better to go for the night for dinner and a show?

I'm open to any suggestions.
    I think Miracle Mile is the best area to stay in, close to BH and the comedy store is in West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip. Of course you wanna go to the strip at least to drive through and see the Chateau Marmont where Janice Joplin and John Belushi died, the Andaz which used to be the Hyatt where led zep rode their motorcyles in the hallways and The Who tossed TV's off the balconies etc, the whisky a go go and the viper room and the rainbow and a whole lot of spots where rock stars used to party.

Go to DTLA one day to see some sites but Miracle Mile is definitely more centrally located to everything. You won't want to go any further east than DTLA, and the freeways around downtown are always really busy, so if you're using navigation you might spend too much time in traffic trying to leave or get back to your hotel or air bnb. If you stay in MM, you'll spend more time on surface streets to get to your destinations, and have less traffic and more of LA to look at.

Of course there are plenty of things to do in the MM area too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mira...e,_Los_Angeles

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/miracle-mile

PM me if you want recommendations on stuff like cheeseburgers or fried chicken or Italian or Mexican, any kinda restaurant, dessert, etc. I've lived in LA for the latter half of my 40 years and I like a good cheat meal and know where to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by damien308 View Post
    I will try that
    I'm assuming there is a possibility that you have to be a resident of the Los Angeles area to get as free week pass to Gold's Venice, but if you're able to do it, please report back and let others know if you succeeded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cochran View Post
    I think Miracle Mile is the best area to stay in, close to BH and the comedy store is in West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip. Of course you wanna go to the strip at least to drive through and see the Chateau Marmont where Janice Joplin and John Belushi died, the Andaz which used to be the Hyatt where led zep rode their motorcyles in the hallways and The Who tossed TV's off the balconies etc, the whisky a go go and the viper room and the rainbow and a whole lot of spots where rock stars used to party.

Go to DTLA one day to see some sites but Miracle Mile is definitely more centrally located to everything. You won't want to go any further east than DTLA, and the freeways around downtown are always really busy, so if you're using navigation you might spend too much time in traffic trying to leave or get back to your hotel or air bnb. If you stay in MM, you'll spend more time on surface streets to get to your destinations, and have less traffic and more of LA to look at.

Of course there are plenty of things to do in the MM area too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mira...e,_Los_Angeles

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/miracle-mile

PM me if you want recommendations on stuff like cheeseburgers or fried chicken or Italian or Mexican, any kinda restaurant, dessert, etc. I've lived in LA for the latter half of my 40 years and I like a good cheat meal and know where to find them.
    Exactly LA isnt a city with a typical downtown like Manhattan that you can walk around and experience much. If you dont live near a beach then I suggest being in SM, walking around SM and the beach will be a much more enjoyable experience than downtown. LA is a food city so every where you can find awesome dirty ass food, clean eats, or gourmet.If you happen to be here on the first Friday of the month go to Abbot Kinney in Venice for their First Friday Food Truck Fest. Some pretty bad ass food trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Rowe View Post
    Muscle Beach is worth walking over to see but not to train at
    Why not? Wouldn’t it be something to check off the bucket list? They charge for the day I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Allnatural49 View Post
    Why not? Wouldn’t it be something to check off the bucket list? They charge for the day I assume?
    I would say spend your money to train at Gold's over Muscle Beach easily. There really is not much at Muscle Beach.

ok so I gotta say I enjoy my ohio and vegas trips so much more .

it cost me 150 for the week to train at gold's . I seen 50 cent on Monday and Arnold on Friday . im guessing it isn't 150 a week at any other golds . that isn't right to charge someone that kind of money , just because it's the mecca ?
    I got some good workouts in . the equipment , pretty much the same stuff I got back home . I woke up at 4 a.m. every morning . I got there just before 5 and it was already pretty busy . parking lot's were jacked . I was kind of shocked to see that this gym was far worse then my gym back home . every single piece of equipment had weights on it. I never knew if it was being used or not . the dumbbell racks ? omg what a disaster . nothing was where it belonged . nothing .......... the worst dumbbell racks ever
    Im still glad I finally got to train there . but a lil disappointed overall .
    the beach is very impressive , enormous ! but I never really felt like I was in California . when I think of California I think of the "sun" it was gloomy all week . Saturday was the only day the sun .....kind of came out .

a homeless man verbally assaulted me in venice because I was using his "sink"
    one day while driving back to my hotel someone backed up in to me at a red light .......... no damage........ but that was different .....
    my food experiences were not great . keep in mind I normaly have bad luck with food .
    I will begin with day one . right after the airport I wanted something quick . it was still 11 a.m. so I had time to get 4 meals in . I wanted in and out . I found it , but where the hell do I park ? looked like nothing but metered parking . so I crossed that off the list. next I look for wahoos , since jay endorses it. huge mistake , both my and my dads food was cold . got up and asked for a refund and left . next I went to cheesecake factory , I needed a sure bet . I was now really aggravated and needed to eat asap . once again no parking . I had to use the parking garage which wasn't bad . first 90 minutes were free. we ended up eating most of our meals at cheesecake factory and a place called north italia which was very good . had breakfast at mels everyday . one day I tried going to a ihop and that had valet parking .......... almost everything there has valet parking wtf....... also ate a few times at ollo which was pretty good .
    almost everything I had on my list had valet parking ........ I hate that !
    Wednesday we ate at a thai place near the beach . I asked for the Hainan chicken . it was supposed to be steamed chicken breast and rice . I got a mix of white and dark meant and bits of skin over rice . I was like ? wtf ? is this ? I didn't pay for that either . my dad enjoyed his chicken wings , so after he ate them I had to go eat elsewhere .
    my dining experience at the airport really took the cake .
    I order chicken and rice and got hot rice and cold chicken . got a refund . went over to the next place over and asked for a burger . fries were cold , and I had a toothpick in my burger which I bit into . I didn't hurt myself but I was furious that this was in my sandwich. the manager explained that it is used to hold the sandwich together . I said I get that , but it was "in" my sandwich . I bit into it !

so I went acros the way and got a protein cookie and didn't eat again until that night when I got home . I never been so happy to be back home . I give the trip a 5 out of 10 . looking forward to vegas .

overall , I am glad I finaly got to go , enjoyed spending time with my dad . but I would never come back . everything was so crammed "dated" .parking was a huge headache ..... things run so much smoother for me in ohio ... is there a more convenient area in California ????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast