Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gym discrimination

It’s like those that do half inch shrugs with crazy weight. Same with leg press and squats.

Lighten the load and do a proper range of motion! Then you’ll see gainz.

I wasted YEARS of progress overly concerning myself with overloading the muscle with too much weight, too many forced reps and shit form. I learned in the end though thankfully. Many never do.

Spotter

My biggest pet peeve is the looks/judgement you get for making noise. I am not talking about over dramatic moaning and grunting. But the noise of struggle, breathing on my reps, the odd grunt on my final few reps... noise is a byproduct of hard fucking work.
    Although I am not entirely educated on the topic and how true it is, I always ask people what happens when you put a silencer on a gun... you lose power. If even 1% of my being is focused on trying to be quiet or hold in noise, that is a 1% distraction from my lift that I don't need.
    Its a gym not a Library..

Quote Originally Posted by Mearsy View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is the looks/judgement you get for making noise. I am not talking about over dramatic moaning and grunting. But the noise of struggle, breathing on my reps, the odd grunt on my final few reps... noise is a byproduct of hard fucking work.
    Although I am not entirely educated on the topic and how true it is, I always ask people what happens when you put a silencer on a gun... you lose power. If even 1% of my being is focused on trying to be quiet or hold in noise, that is a 1% distraction from my lift that I don't need.
    I’d just change gyms mate.

Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    It’s like those that do half inch shrugs with crazy weight. Same with leg press and squats.

Lighten the load and do a proper range of motion! Then you’ll see gainz.

I wasted YEARS of progress overly concerning myself with overloading the muscle with too much weight, too many forced reps and shit form. I learned in the end though thankfully. Many never do.

My joints have a way of letting me know when I'm in annihilate not stimulate mode.

The owner of a gym I worked out in provided powerlifting olympic bars.
    Instead of using the powerlifting bars, some guys would load up the thinner bars with heavy weights.
    Eventually it bent the lighter bars to the point the owner had to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    Some Gyms are for wild, uncivilized animals with no manners. Other gyms are for grownups. Find the gym that works for you and quit crying.
    This x 100!

The one and only time had an issue was when I was doing heavy partial deadlifts in a rack with pins set knee high.
    This was 30+ yrs ago and I was trying to lift "right" but the bar banged loudly each rep.
    The gym manager told me I needed to "cool it" with the banging reps and I did.

I've trained in some hardcore powerlifter gyms and they were really strict on lifting etiquette .
    Dropping DB's, loud banging off the floor or racks was frowned upon.
    Powerlifter legend Steve Goggins once told me ;
    " It's weight lifting, NOT weight throwing ."
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Quote Originally Posted by Mearsy View Post
    Sounds like you're in a health club /spa environment.
    Like Giles and other suggest, find a new gym, even if it costs a few extra $$.

I love training at this no frills Anytime fitness gym.
    One of the MD forum members and I had a meet/greet there a couple years ago.
    Sometimes the smaller , lesser known place can be a lot better for real trainers.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

If you ever in Cabo San Lucas, come and visit the Olympia gym, great equipment, hard training people!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12