Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 126

Thread: FIBER TYPE TRAINING EXPLAINED

  1. #18
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Also guys remember 3 to 4 sets per exercise is not set in stone and most do a lesser routine because they do 4 plus sets and do 3 exercises that add to 15 sets plus. Its much better to hit a every angle completely than the amount of sets. I take many small non athletic women through my routines at sometimes 1 to 2 sets per exercise. I myself use 2 sets on certain things. Even one set.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  2. #19

    Default

    so would you say its a good idea or bad idea to sometimes go up to 5 sets on a exercise if im feelin it real good?

  3. #20
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    so would you say its a good idea or bad idea to sometimes go up to 5 sets on a exercise if im feelin it real good?
    I just gave you a 5 set chest workout.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  4. #21

    Default

    you gave me 5 exercises, so your saying only do 1 set of each?

  5. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    you gave me 5 exercises, so your saying only do 1 set of each?
    1 working set prolly

  6. #23
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    you gave me 5 exercises, so your saying only do 1 set of each?

    No, I was just making a point that it is better to hit it completely than just 3 angles with lots of sets.

    Use the basic 3 set protocol as it will be MORE than enough.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  7. #24
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intolerant View Post
    1 working set prolly

    ALL working sets. ESPECIALLY the first one of the next exercise. I see this constantly. Every exercise they start with warmups. At the end of the 15 sets 4 were worth something.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  8. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    ALL working sets. ESPECIALLY the first one of the next exercise. I see this constantly. Every exercise they start with warmups. At the end of the 15 sets 4 were worth something.
    I meant each. Like ur saying.

  9. #26
    Iron Addict chasebny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eating
    Posts
    2,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    This makes perfect sense and the answer is YES. Each muscle has a different mecanism of action as I will explain.
    i think u were confused by my question. i was asking, if you advocate slower higher reps to mimic their action, but i feel low explosive reps give my biceps a better response, whcih should i go with?

  10. #27
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    i think u were confused by my question. i was asking, if you advocate slower higher reps to mimic their action, but i feel low explosive reps give my biceps a better response, whcih should i go with?
    Ok maybe I didnt explain. ALL muscles need to be used in an explosive movement generating GREAT force from the beginning of the lift. Some parts DURATION OF STRESS as in biceps will be most important but with calves DURATION OF PEAK CONTRACTION is most important
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  11. #28
    Iron Addict Myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    5% off your next TrueProtein order: SNS110
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    Ok maybe I didnt explain. ALL muscles need to be used in an explosive movement generating GREAT force from the beginning of the lift. Some parts DURATION OF STRESS as in biceps will be most important but with calves DURATION OF PEAK CONTRACTION is most important
    so how long do you hold the peak contraction for calves?

  12. #29
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palumbo's Advocate View Post
    so how long do you hold the peak contraction for calves?
    I do 3 sets seated 15 reps failing at 12 rest pause to 15 with 3 to 5 second INTENSE peak contractions. Not just holding the weight up but actually squeezing. Then super set the last one with weight enough to do continuous reps with about 1 second contraction failing at 20, this is for the other fibers that make up a very small portion of the muscle, then rest pause to 25 with 3 second contractions again.

    Next I do standing 3 sets 15 failing at 12 with the same 3 to 5 second contractions. I superset these with standing no weight with 1 second contractions for 15 to activate whatever other fibers exist within the muscle.

    After every set I do very intense peak contractive work with contractions from 10 to 15 seconds until it self cramps slightly.
    I then follow that up with intense stretching to elongate the muscle.


    Remember one very important thing. The longer a muscle is the bigger it will be in as contracted state. Take a piece of tin foil. A small piece makes a small ball but if I were to pull out a long piece it would make a big ball. The same with a muscle if my bicep is full from elbow attachment to shoulder attachment then when I contract it there is more to group together. Length = Size.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  13. #30
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    Ok maybe I didnt explain. ALL muscles need to be used in an explosive movement generating GREAT force from the beginning of the lift. Some parts DURATION OF STRESS as in biceps will be most important but with calves DURATION OF PEAK CONTRACTION is most important

    A follow up here It is very important when working biceps whether arm or leg you train from insertion to insertion which is not as important with other muscles. This means a full extention almost flexing your ticeps to a full contraction touching the bar at your neck. Also negatives will benefit the bicep obviously better than any other muscle and can be incorporated to increase duration of stress. Remember once any muscle becomes contracted it must STAY contracted through the entire set ESPECIALLY biceps.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  14. #31
    Iron Addict Myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    5% off your next TrueProtein order: SNS110
    Posts
    2,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipsta View Post
    I do 3 sets seated 15 reps failing at 12 rest pause to 15 with 3 to 5 second INTENSE peak contractions. Not just holding the weight up but actually squeezing. Then super set the last one with weight enough to do continuous reps with about 1 second contraction failing at 20, this is for the other fibers that make up a very small portion of the muscle, then rest pause to 25 with 3 second contractions again.

    Next I do standing 3 sets 15 failing at 12 with the same 3 to 5 second contractions. I superset these with standing no weight with 1 second contractions for 15 to activate whatever other fibers exist within the muscle.

    After every set I do very intense peak contractive work with contractions from 10 to 15 seconds until it self cramps slightly.
    I then follow that up with intense stretching to elongate the muscle.


    Remember one very important thing. The longer a muscle is the bigger it will be in as contracted state. Take a piece of tin foil. A small piece makes a small ball but if I were to pull out a long piece it would make a big ball. The same with a muscle if my bicep is full from elbow attachment to shoulder attachment then when I contract it there is more to group together. Length = Size.
    got a pic of your calves?

  15. #32

    Question

    Duration of peak contraction for calves is interesting...

    I have always utilized the extreme stretch under load (i.e DC style 15 sec. holds in the stretched position) and felt it worked well.

    I never held the contraction BUT used Larry Scott's approach to use a stick to give yourself a few forced reps at the end to get the contraction as tight as you can.

    I wonder if it is beneficial to do both - hold the peak contraction as you suggest and hold the stretch position in the same rep. Does one take away from the other?

  16. #33
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Palumbo's Advocate View Post
    got a pic of your calves?

    Nope
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

  17. #34
    Bro Scientist Tipsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    Duration of peak contraction for calves is interesting...

    I have always utilized the extreme stretch under load (i.e DC style 15 sec. holds in the stretched position) and felt it worked well.

    I never held the contraction BUT used Larry Scott's approach to use a stick to give yourself a few forced reps at the end to get the contraction as tight as you can.

    I wonder if it is beneficial to do both - hold the peak contraction as you suggest and hold the stretch position in the same rep. Does one take away from the other?

    Very beneficial to do both but not in the same exercise. Each set of every exercise you do must be followed with a set of intense elongation work. Once you come down you must IMMEDIATELY EXPLODE back up to activate the fast twitch fibers. Once again we want to duplicate its action. Its ability to explode very quickly, as well as stay in a PEAK contracted state for a period of time. Remember MAINLY the fast twitch fibers respond for size increase. Every exercise of every set of every muscle needs to explode quickly and consistantly. Once the muscle is in a contracted state it must stay in a contracted state for the duration of the reps no matter what muscle we are working.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •