Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FIBER TYPE TRAINING EXPLAINED

Hey tip, what do you recommend for legs if you don't want to develop the inner thighs that much. I don't really like the look of some of the guys who it seems like could spark a fire just by walking lol. I want to focus on the outer, middle, and teardrop part of the quads.

Also, for calves whenever I do any exercise for them I can feel the muscle running down the outside of my leg and through my ankles working more then my calves. I can even see my ankles starting to get bigger! Any idea how I can establish a better connection/isolate my calves?

just ran into this thread today... great info. gives me another perspective to look at my workouts with.
    keep the info coming tipsta...

these Shiners are for you.
    i think that floss cut a little too deep.

OH and what is your philosophy when it come to training frequency. Once a week? Is twice a week good? Thanks!

You really are a GAVONE....That means PIG as you wont put two nickels together to pay someone but youll hound the shit out of me for free advice then have balls bigger than elephants to battle me verbally telling me why I'm wrong when you are 5'10" at 120 pounds.....
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Hey tip, what do you recommend for legs if you don't want to develop the inner thighs that much. I don't really like the look of some of the guys who it seems like could spark a fire just by walking lol. I want to focus on the outer, middle, and teardrop part of the quads.

Also, for calves whenever I do any exercise for them I can feel the muscle running down the outside of my leg and through my ankles working more then my calves. I can even see my ankles starting to get bigger! Any idea how I can establish a better connection/isolate my calves?

You mean the Soleus. Any idea what the difference is to activating the Soleus rather than the Gastrocnemius? If not, you REALLY need to learn the basics first as this was taught at my second training session when I was a newbie....I'll give you a hint.....Its a special machine designed for calves.....

To be honest I try to follow my heart if I feel like I need a certain excercise or a certain rep range of technique like do a DC type set once in a while or superset something at the end or even beginning of a workout it is all good,

I am not trying to apply too much structure to my training cause it never worked example untill I started boxing my shoulders would not grow or since I started doing jump rope as a worm up I never had any calves development now I have veins all over them suckers.

I guess I am more of Dynosis than Appolonian type of trainer whatever and anything goes but I enjoy the freedom and it works I just try to apply different tempos and rep ranges in every or every other training sometimes I finish and I am like shit I forgot to do 1/2 reps for biceps with super heavy weights or I havent really done this or that for back.

But in the bigger picture of being dedicated to Iron eating sleeping and supplementing specific rep ranges will not change that much as long as you do not train like that bozo from pumping iron you know in the gym that Louis trained the guy in white t shirt and fat belly

Just my oppinions

What a great thread. Thank you so much Tipsta.

I've read all messages posted so far. I've few questions;

1- You gave some examples on Ronnie Coleman's explosive movement exercises. And as you mentioned its good for fast twitch fibers. And not good for calves and biceps because they are more based on slow twitch fibers. But Ronnie Coleman uses the same explosive fast twitch fiber hitting texhnique for his biceps and calves aswell? And he doesn't use negatives for bi's. You can check it from this video; [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-i2nJVKkfQ[/ame]
    2- If biceps and calves are based on slow twitch fibers more than fast twitch fibers don't we need to improve fast twich fiber amount by working out more on them? As you know, fast twitch fibers means more amount of mass.
    3- You said "full motion" on biceps. Phil Heat has the one of the massive arms today. And he says he don't use full motion for biceps because of high injury potential of full range movement. He only uses full range biceps exercises for light weights. Maybe for the last stage of fst-7 workout. Don't you agree that. I think Phil is right. I've experienced some injuries on my bi's when i used to train heavy by full range movement on them.
    4- Kevin Levrone used to have one of the freakest triceps but he suggests flexing triceps muscles at the very end of the movement, like the way you do on your calves. I mean contraction at the top and flexing.
    5- What about the abdominals and forearms?

And i totally agree with your calf workout tips. I'm the living proof of it.

Thank you tipsta. I'm really looking forward to ready your upcoming messages.

Quote Originally Posted by got_muscle View Post
    What a great thread. Thank you so much Tipsta.

I've read all messages posted so far. I've few questions;

1- You gave some examples on Ronnie Coleman's explosive movement exercises. And as you mentioned its good for fast twitch fibers. And not good for calves and biceps because they are more based on slow twitch fibers. But Ronnie Coleman uses the same explosive fast twitch fiber hitting texhnique for his biceps and calves aswell? And he doesn't use negatives for bi's. You can check it from this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-i2nJVKkfQ
    2- If biceps and calves are based on slow twitch fibers more than fast twitch fibers don't we need to improve fast twich fiber amount by working out more on them? As you know, fast twitch fibers means more amount of mass.
    3- You said "full motion" on biceps. Phil Heat has the one of the massive arms today. And he says he don't use full motion for biceps because of high injury potential of full range movement. He only uses full range biceps exercises for light weights. Maybe for the last stage of fst-7 workout. Don't you agree that. I think Phil is right. I've experienced some injuries on my bi's when i used to train heavy by full range movement on them.
    4- Kevin Levrone used to have one of the freakest triceps but he suggests flexing triceps muscles at the very end of the movement, like the way you do on your calves. I mean contraction at the top and flexing.
    5- What about the abdominals and forearms?

And i totally agree with your calf workout tips. I'm the living proof of it.

Thank you tipsta. I'm really looking forward to ready your upcoming messages.

1. I only used Ronnie coleman as an example on just the explosive short motion chest work and have no idea how accurate any other body parts of his are trained

2 God gave us a certain type of muscle fiber makeup to do certain tasks and in order to activate the fibers within each muscle you need to duplicate its action. The less duplication of its action means the less fibers being activated. It sounds like you want to alter the genetic fiber makeup and thats impossible.

3. Phil heath is a result of DRUGS not training...I only refer to pure drug free muscle when I speak.

4. Kevin levrone??? We all saw how he went to 155 pounds after coming off the drugs...BAD example...Once again, all drugs....

Abs are high rep heavy weight with sets failing at 20 continuous reps then rest pause to 30...3 sets 3 exercises 30 reps each...Each set is followed up by intense elongation of the mid section by using the proper stretching techniques.

Forearms respond best with explosive reps with a full range sending the stress load to the peak of the forearm which is near the elbow for 12 reps to failure,rest pause to 15 or so followed by 15 circular rotations of the hand to the right as well as 15 to the left then followed up by peak contraction sets.. Finally finish off by placing your palms together in front of your chest and pointing your elbows to the right and left for elongation work

Any doubt on calves just ask any competitor how sore their calves are the Sunday or Monday after a show.....
    Last edited by Tipsta; December 29th, 2009 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks for all your answers Tipsta. Good read again.

Tipsta, don't get discouraged. This is great info and has been a very interesting thread.

So, to basically sum it all up, when you lift for strength and mass you should:
    -Be explosive with the concentric portion of the exercise
    -Keep the exercise in constant motion like a piston with no pauses anywhere in the motion which could cause uncontraction of the working muscle
    -Contract with great force (push harder to squeeze/contract the muscle)
    -Stretch the muscle gently after each set
    -Use the rest/pause technique for the last few reps to get greater muscle fatigue and hypertrophy
    -Use higher reps, especially for the lower body

Did I miss anything?

I work each bodypart twice per week. Lots of time Im not fully recovered but push past the pain for the gains. I see great results training this way as many bodybuilders of old trained this way. My question is Sir... What happens to the (unheald fibers) muscle when worked thoroughly again. Does that muscle recruit a different set of fibers.. Do the already damaged fibers do the work and grow double time.... Is the previous workout negated (which cant be do to obvious growth Im experiencing) I understand the risk like over-training, running down my CNS, injuries, etc... but I grow from 2 a week but don't understand scientifically whats happening behind the scenes. Hope my question is clear and thank you in advance for what ever help you can be.

Tipsta,
    Can you post any week routine?.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayincsharp View Post
    I work each bodypart twice per week. Lots of time Im not fully recovered but push past the pain for the gains. I see great results training this way as many bodybuilders of old trained this way. My question is Sir... What happens to the (unheald fibers) muscle when worked thoroughly again. Does that muscle recruit a different set of fibers.. Do the already damaged fibers do the work and grow double time.... Is the previous workout negated (which cant be do to obvious growth Im experiencing) I understand the risk like over-training, running down my CNS, injuries, etc... but I grow from 2 a week but don't understand scientifically whats happening behind the scenes. Hope my question is clear and thank you in advance for what ever help you can be.
    I'm lost here...Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudex View Post
    Tipsta,
    Can you post any week routine?.
    Thanks.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Tipsta, don't get discouraged. This is great info and has been a very interesting thread.

So, to basically sum it all up, when you lift for strength and mass you should:
    -Be explosive with the concentric portion of the exercise
    -Keep the exercise in constant motion like a piston with no pauses anywhere in the motion which could cause uncontraction of the working muscle
    -Contract with great force (push harder to squeeze/contract the muscle)
    -Stretch the muscle gently after each set
    -Use the rest/pause technique for the last few reps to get greater muscle fatigue and hypertrophy
    -Use higher reps, especially for the lower body

Did I miss anything?
    INTENSELY!!! You got it...

your split-routine and the exercises you are using now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudex View Post
    your split-routine and the exercises you are using now.
    Mon = Shoulders/Calves

Behind neck Barbell
    Front neck Barbell
    Side dumbell laterals
    Front dumbell laterals
    Rear dumbell laterals

Dumbell shrugs
    Upright rows

Seated calves
    Standing calves

Tuesday = Hams/Quads

Lying leg curls
    Leg extentions
    Leg press/Squats
    Hack Squats
    Adductors

Wed = Off

Thursday = Chest/Tris

Incline barbell press
    Decline barbell press
    Flat barbell press
    Incline flyes/incline cables
    Cable crossovers

Friday = Back/Bis

Wide grip pulldowns
    Seated rows
    Close grip pulldowns
    Bent over rows
    Deadlift
    One arm rows
    Assisted wide grip pullups

Standing curls
    Seated curls

Behind the back forearm curls
    Last edited by Tipsta; October 10th, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast