Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FIBER TYPE TRAINING EXPLAINED

Default FIBER TYPE TRAINING EXPLAINED

Although most know me from a nutritional standpoint I feel its time to bring to the table some explanations in LAYMANS terms as to how each muscle is activated and what type of exercises incorporate ALL of the fibers that make up each individual muscle as they are all different and have different capabilities and abilities. If there is anyone who is tired of trying to figure this stuff out just ask and you shall recieve. Call me the mailman. Because as most know, I DELIVER!
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

Spotter

i wanna know why so many do skullcrushers with a standard campered bar and have a lot of success yet when i do it i mostly feel pain in my elbows and not much in the long head of my tricep but more towards around the elbow. however when i use dbs, and grip with a hammer posistion as opposed to a palms over i feel the movement much more and it feels much more natural. what is it about certain variances in peoples mechanics that cause simple hand grip to effect the way muscles are targeted. another example for instance is i alwys do my back movements underhead or hammer grip never overhand as i never really felt it much.

i train different areas of my body with different rep ranges. For instance i like training legs with 15-20 reps, while i keep back 6-8. Do you feel fiber type should effect my training if i "feel" better using different rep ranges for different body parts? To sum up, should my usual of x number of reps for certain bodyparts be given up in favor of training in certain rep ranges depending on fiber type? sry if this doesnt make sense, ill elaborate if need be.

Definitely -- give us the scoop. Muscle by muscle, what are your recommendations for exercises, sets n' reps, and rep speed?

5% off your next TrueProtein order: SNS110

what rep ranges do you use for every body part?

Sorry guys but I was not getting any mail from the posts here. I dont know why. I will be back later after I train legs to follow up on this thread as I'm sure it will change most everybodies understanding of how the bodies muscles differ in activation.

Subscribed! I wonder if this will this be much different then what we've learned in Power, Rep Range, Shock theory?
    Enjoying the awesomeness of the pumptitude as an end in itself

Quote Originally Posted by Train_Smart View Post
    i wanna know why so many do skullcrushers with a standard campered bar and have a lot of success yet when i do it i mostly feel pain in my elbows and not much in the long head of my tricep but more towards around the elbow. however when i use dbs, and grip with a hammer posistion as opposed to a palms over i feel the movement much more and it feels much more natural. what is it about certain variances in peoples mechanics that cause simple hand grip to effect the way muscles are targeted. another example for instance is i alwys do my back movements underhead or hammer grip never overhand as i never really felt it much.
    This question doesnt have a technical answer. However Every person has different lengths when it comes to muscles/insertions and this is why all GREAT gyms have numerous different machines doing the same thing just made by different companies. I might like one better because of the length of my extremities where another might suit you better. This being said you need to use the equipment that best meets your genetic needs.

Deleted

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    i train different areas of my body with different rep ranges. For instance i like training legs with 15-20 reps, while i keep back 6-8. Do you feel fiber type should effect my training if i "feel" better using different rep ranges for different body parts? To sum up, should my usual of x number of reps for certain bodyparts be given up in favor of training in certain rep ranges depending on fiber type? sry if this doesnt make sense, ill elaborate if need be.
    This makes perfect sense and the answer is YES. Each muscle has a different mecanism of action as I will explain.

Each of us human beings are exactly the same in genetic makeup. We all have the exact same muscle groups designed to do the exact same job whether you believe in GOD or aliens or evolution, the human body is an incredible machine and has been designed to aid us in our everyday responsibilities.
    Lets look at each muscle and what they do for us. Lets say somebody threw something at your face, your response would be to throw your hands up VERY quickly in an explosive movement to protect yourself. Very similar to what a fighter does to throw a punch. The chest shoulders and triceps work in a similar manor as they are made up of fibers that have an amazing ability to explode very quickly with great force. However these muscles can only produce that force for a very short time. For those old enough to remember, Muhamad Ali used a method he called the rope a dope. He didnt know the science of the fast twitch fibers that exist within the chest shoulders or triceps. What he did know is that these muscles could NOT fire at peak for very long periods so he would cover up and let his opponent unload on him until he quickly tired out then he dominated because of the lost power his opponent endured. That being understood the chest shoulders and triceps are made up MAINLY of fibers that are designated to have great explosive strength for limited amounts of time.

Lets take a look at a muscle that is the complete OPPOSITE. The bicep. Think about carrying a bag home from the store. You can go for miles and your arms will hold the bag in an L shape position without ANY contractile movement of the bicep. The bicep has fibers that are designated to be able to stay contracted and resist weight with NO movement for very long periods of time. It has no true explosive positive power since there is no need for a human to have that ability in that muscle. It is MAINLY a slow twitch fibered muscle.

Lets take a look at the Legs as well as the back. These fibers are similar to the chest shoulders and triceps but differ as they have an ability to perform for a much longer period. Take a look at olympic rowers. They row explosively all while keeping a consistant level of explosive energy. They will row for 3 plus minutes and lose VERY little power. Think about a football player who catches the ball in the endzone. He will explode with great force and run the entire field with explosive contractions from his quads and will be able to go for distance. Legs are most obvious designed for LONG term use as we cant run or walk a marathon on our hands.

Now lets look at the calves. They have a fiber that is designed like no other. When we need to reach for something very high we explode on our toes and reach for the item all while increasing the PEAK CONTRACTION to reach even higher. The calves are made up of fibers that contract extremely fast to a peak contracted state and can hold that INTENSE contraction for a long period of time.

In order to ACTIVATE the majority of fibers that exist within a muscle we must be able to duplicate its action. This is the most important thing, yet it has never been addressed properly.
    Last edited by Tipsta; December 12th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Default Interesting stuff....

An interesting topic, thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to reading more!

Dawn.x

how should someone go by bringing up a weak bodypart? i think my chest is lagging and i need to bring it up

Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    how should someone go by bringing up a weak bodypart? i think my chest is lagging and i need to bring it up

You know my answer will be train hard and EAT MORE. Now that we have that behind us. Heres what one needs to do. Look in the mirror. Examine yourself thoroughly. Assuming you know what a complete chest looks like from the round curviture of the lower chest the the thick upper clavicular attachment. If you dont truly know I suggest getting honest opinions from those who do. Now the hardest part and I see this in the gym daily. Guys and girls do exercises truly blind. When I ask them what exactly this specific exercise targets, 99% either cant tell me or are flat out wrong.
    Every exercise hits different angles and every angle can be hit from a wider point to a more narrow point. This is what makes guys like Charles Glass so incredibly good at what they do. He has an eye and more importantly knows every exercise and its application to shape a physique to its max potential. Once you establish your genetic needs we then put them in order of importance. You should always train the WEAKEST part of the muscle at the beginning when you are at 100%. Most guys have the same issue. Weak upper chest and poor lower curviture.
    Unless you are Lee Priest with an extremely narrow clavical attachments chances are if your upper chest is weak so will be the front shoulders. This is why I suggest using a Bar on chest exercises and not dumbells as this will keep you narrow up top. Start with incline bench press using a weight you can move in a piston like fasion, only going 3/4 to lockout with EXPLOSIVE force and truly fail at 10 to 12 to begin. You will eventually go slightly lower in reps as wellas add Rest pause sets as you adapt. Remember we want to use a weight that allows us to need GREAT explosive strength to lift but heavy enough to only allow us to this for a shorter period of time. Once you have trained the upper part next comes the next in order of importance. That would be Decline presses with the exact same weight protocol. Then the Flat exercise would be next. We dont want to train two upper or lower exercises in a row because that a sure fire way to lose any and ALL symmetry. In your case since I've seen your pics I would next do Upper chest but Only training the calavicular attachment which only ONE exercise can do that. Its done from going from bottom to top all while crossing the body. That would mean cables from the floor to out in front of your forehead. Last I would use Cable crossovers from the top coming straight down and crossing one hand in front of the other without twisting your wrist to create that elusive lower roundness.

definately will be doing that from now on when it comes to chest day, thanks a lot looks like a great plan to follow

Quote Originally Posted by gainmusclefast View Post
    definately will be doing that from now on when it comes to chest day, thanks a lot looks like a great plan to follow
    Makes sense I'm sure. Thats most important when being taught a lesson. Nothing like being more confused afterwards than before. Also A lot of guys say, Hey tip why high reps? High reps fall in a category of 20 or more. Just in case this was a thought.

I dont believe in large variations in training protocols as you see I train a muscle to duplicate its action. However, I do believe in NUMEROUS weekly breaks yearly at approximately 1 week every 8 to 12. Sometimes even less than 8. This enables the body to adapt to lesser intensive loads so the on time will be a constant forward progression. OVERTRAINING is a major risk with this type of routine so dont fall victim.
    Last edited by Tipsta; December 12th, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast