Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Hey Alex. From the bodybuilders that you have trained.... do you think high protein, mod to high carbs and low fat plan will work for everyone to get shredded? Do you ever advocate high protein, high fat and extreme low carbs or high protein and veggie no fat for slower metabolisms?

would you consider yourself to have a high metabolism?

have you ever tried the extreme low carb diet / high fat?

and if so how did your body react?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    I dont want to go against someone else advise or effort but to me the protein seems a tad low. If your trying to build muscle, put on weight and size i would increase the protein.
    I'm actually on a calorie restricted diet as of now. I started dieting 4 days ago.
    Trueprotein.com 5% Discount code- KEM010

Quote Originally Posted by grumpwurst View Post
    After chickening out in my mid-20's (11 years ago), I finally have decided it's time to take the plunge and attempt my first show. After life kept me out of the gym for 7 years, I went back seriously and giving this an honest go.

The cut-diet scared me before and now I'm 4 weeks in:
    Meal 1: 50g Oatmeal w/Splenda
    Meal 2: Myoplex
    Meal 3: Fish, Chicken, or Turkey + 50g Oatmeal, Brown Rice or 1 c Sweet Potato (not a big lover of rice or sweet potato)
    Pre-workout: Whey Protein
    Meal 4 (PWO): Myoplex
    Meal 5: Fish, Chicken, or Turkey + 50g Oatmeal, Brown Rice or 1 c Sweet Potato
    Meal 6: Fish, Chicken, or Turkey + 50g Oatmeal, Brown Rice or 1 c Sweet Potato

Supplements:
    Apex BCAA (6 tablets)
    Amino Acids (GNC Amino 1000) (6 tablets)
    AnimalPak (Taken before workout)
    Flax Seed oil (2 capsules)
    Apex L-Glutamine powder (2 scoops)
    Apex Fatburner 2 (6 tablets)
    ZMA (2 tablets)

I hired a personal trainer who competes last summer and after a few months he suggested I drop him and come back as a workout partner. The diet came from him and is the one he does.

I'm 5'3" and currently weighing 147.5. I started at 165 lbs last summer. I didn't get serious about the weight training until Oct 2007.

I guess the best feeling was being told I was running a risk of dying of a heart attack back in 2006 and was wearing 34" pants and now I'm down to 28". I could go smaller, but cannot find them.

I'm just nervous as heck about my upcoming show in May.
    What show are you doing? where do you live? and keep us updated bro!
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman405 View Post
    have you ever tried the extreme low carb diet / high fat?

and if so how did your body react?
    Bros, i have tried them all! i have done low carb diets and i hated it. I can handle the suffering and all but in the end i was weak and felt tired and looked a little sringy.

Also, as soon as the show was over i pigged out and got fat again. Why? i was so carb deprived i couldnt wait to stuff my face!

I would say i dont have a sluggish metabolism but its not super fast.

I have probably changed the way my metablolism works by doing cardio and eating and training the way i do. I used to be much slower and keep more fat on. Im getting older but feeling younger! Im fast on my feet, i can run fast, i have good stamina, i feel really good. To me this is atleast part of what bodyuilding is all about.

As far as my apperance goes

Im not a tiny, skinny wirey guy, im actually stocky and keep weight on pretty good. I stay pretty vascular all year, my legs especially are very lean and after training and cardio just covered with spider webs, year round.

See i dont want to give everything away, but i have a style of training and eating that i can eat allot of carbs and protein and stay lean, i can get lean but bumping up the cardio or backing off the carbs a tad. even backing off and im still eating several hundred.

I do believe it is for everyone but you have to be willing to give it a go. I am currently helping a ton of guys and they all say the same thing about feeling great, not being hungry and they are getting lean and they are all way ahead in their prep. last year i was so far ahead of myself i had to have cheat meals to slow my metabolism down.

See the thing that i do is not real a diet. its a lifestyle. I can do this for years and years and i plan to!
    www.prepbyalex.com

awesome post bro. Your love for bb'ing is such a breath of fresh air.

Bros, i have tried them all! i have done low carb diets and i hated it. I can handle the suffering and all but in the end i was weak and felt tired and looked a little sringy.

Also, as soon as the show was over i pigged out and got fat again. Why? i was so carb deprived i couldnt wait to stuff my face!

I would say i dont have a sluggish metabolism but its not super fast.

I have probably changed the way my metablolism works by doing cardio and eating and training the way i do. I used to be much slower and keep more fat on. Im getting older but feeling younger! Im fast on my feet, i can run fast, i have good stamina, i feel really good. To me this is atleast part of what bodyuilding is all about.

As far as my apperance goes

Im not a tiny, skinny wirey guy, im actually stocky and keep weight on pretty good. I stay pretty vascular all year, my legs especially are very lean and after training and cardio just covered with spider webs, year round.

See i dont want to give everything away, but i have a style of training and eating that i can eat allot of carbs and protein and stay lean, i can get lean but bumping up the cardio or backing off the carbs a tad. even backing off and im still eating several hundred.

I do believe it is for everyone but you have to be willing to give it a go. I am currently helping a ton of guys and they all say the same thing about feeling great, not being hungry and they are getting lean and they are all way ahead in their prep. last year i was so far ahead of myself i had to have cheat meals to slow my metabolism down.

See the thing that i do is not real a diet. its a lifestyle. I can do this for years and years and i plan to!

What show are you doing? where do you live? and keep us updated bro!
    Alex,

I'm doing both the Battle of the Bodies (5/3/2008) and the Oklahoma & Central Classic (06/14/2008)

I live outside Oklahoma City and I'll do my best to keep everyone posted. I tried to get a blog off the ground to document my workouts, diet and pictures. But, life is keeping me from getting beyond the first few entries (everything is documented in long form in my notebook)

I recently found this site and it's a wealth of info.

Quote Originally Posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
    awesome post bro. Your love for bb'ing is such a breath of fresh air.
    Thanks allot. I love the sport big time bro. It has changed my life in many ways for the better.

I train everyday and enjoy every workout for the most part, I have gotten to the point were I believe Im addicted to working out.

I used to overtrain but now im training much smarter, and taking time off to grow and recover. Im also very very disciplined.

I learned discipline from my years as a competitive martial artist before i really got into bodybuilding.

I just dont miss workouts and look forward to training, cardio, cooking, eating and the lifestyle.
    Im married with a little daughter. It fits into my life well. I dont know what i would do with my life if i didnt bodybuild. That is why i call bodyuilding a lifestyle, Its a passion not just a sport.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by grumpwurst View Post
    Alex,

I'm doing both the Battle of the Bodies (5/3/2008) and the Oklahoma & Central Classic (06/14/2008)

I live outside Oklahoma City and I'll do my best to keep everyone posted. I tried to get a blog off the ground to document my workouts, diet and pictures. But, life is keeping me from getting beyond the first few entries (everything is documented in long form in my notebook)

I recently found this site and it's a wealth of info.
    Make sure to keep us posted and feel free to drop me some pics at my email if you want my two cents in how your looking. Take care and keep in touch. alex
    www.prepbyalex.com

Hey Alex... I have been reading this thread and I am hoping you can help me.

I started a thread here on the beginners board entitled, "Help... I need expertise" which explains where I am at and what I am trying to achieve.

It is reasonably lengthy and I didn't want to clog up your thread with it (unless you would prefer the info here).

If you have the time to take a look I would be really grateful for any input you have.

Btw... I checked out your website and I have to say... you are in awesome condition!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtig View Post
    Hey Alex... I have been reading this thread and I am hoping you can help me.

I started a thread here on the beginners board entitled, "Help... I need expertise" which explains where I am at and what I am trying to achieve.

It is reasonably lengthy and I didn't want to clog up your thread with it (unless you would prefer the info here).

If you have the time to take a look I would be really grateful for any input you have.

Btw... I checked out your website and I have to say... you are in awesome condition!
    Hey thanks, and i will read what you wrote and get back to you either her or by PM . Thanks for stopping by.
    www.prepbyalex.com

sorry dont know if this is the right place to be posting this but if its not please feel free to move it, thx

im VERY sensitive to androgens and break out like crazy when i take anything that throws off my balances. so i would like to know if anyone has any remedies tocombat this problem? thx

Dedicated Noob

Hello Alex A. Thank you for startign this thread.

I needed some advice regarding diet. I have a 9 to 7 job and generally prefer working out in the evenings. I used to work out for 3 hours i.e. from 8:00p.m. to 11:00p.m. ...... have been doing this for about a year now but no major improvement in my muscle size. I realise that it is because of my diet. I eat healthy food, 3 meals a day i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to drink "ProteinX" after the workout. Could you please advise me as to the diet plan I need to follow ? By plan I mean .. how many meals a day to comsume and at what intervals, given my workout timings....... on reading up on several internet sites about bodybuilding diet, I have found out that I need to eat six meals a day ..... am not sure if it is appliciable in my case as I am not a professional body builder as of now. How many hours do I need to work out in the gym ?? I have given myself 3 years before I start competing. My age is 26.

Quote Originally Posted by 1strongback View Post
    sorry dont know if this is the right place to be posting this but if its not please feel free to move it, thx

im VERY sensitive to androgens and break out like crazy when i take anything that throws off my balances. so i would like to know if anyone has any remedies tocombat this problem? thx

I would for sure talk to your doctor and have them prescribe you some good creeme for this, insurance will pay and there are some good ones out there. You are risking getting permanent scars if not.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Schneider Fernandes View Post
    Hello Alex A. Thank you for startign this thread.

I needed some advice regarding diet. I have a 9 to 7 job and generally prefer working out in the evenings. I used to work out for 3 hours i.e. from 8:00p.m. to 11:00p.m. ...... have been doing this for about a year now but no major improvement in my muscle size. I realise that it is because of my diet. I eat healthy food, 3 meals a day i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to drink "ProteinX" after the workout. Could you please advise me as to the diet plan I need to follow ? By plan I mean .. how many meals a day to comsume and at what intervals, given my workout timings....... on reading up on several internet sites about bodybuilding diet, I have found out that I need to eat six meals a day ..... am not sure if it is appliciable in my case as I am not a professional body builder as of now. How many hours do I need to work out in the gym ?? I have given myself 3 years before I start competing. My age is 26.

You can surely get away with eating 5 meals per day spaced out about 3 hours apart. Your morning meal is a very important one and your post work out meal as well. Plus as far as time spent in the gym, the minimal amount of time is best to get your workout done. Meaning, bust out your workout and then eat. Dont spend endless time in the gym just to be there or drag out your workout. I bust through my sets fast to keep my metabolism up and to get my workout done . Allot can be accomplished in 45 minutes to one hour, minus cardio
    www.prepbyalex.com

Hey Alex. If i want to go from 12% bodyfat to 7% do you think I should do weights 5 days per week and cardio 7 days?

or do you think i should take 2 complete days off to rest?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman405 View Post
    Hey Alex. If i want to go from 12% bodyfat to 7% do you think I should do weights 5 days per week and cardio 7 days?

or do you think i should take 2 complete days off to rest?
    Rest is for babies. Just kidding, but if you want to grind down the bodyfat faster I would do cardio everyday. Five days of weights and 6-7 days of cardio is fine.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast