Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Results 188 to 204 of 1226

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

  1. #188
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnielow View Post
    Alex,

    My name is John, I am 47 years old, 5'11" tall, 275 pounds at 25% bodyfat. I have lost 170 pounds in the last 5 years but have hit a serious plateau. I am a 100% endomorph, and diet for me is the toughest part. I train 4 days per week, 2 on 1 off, 2 on 2 off. I was wondering if you can offer any diet/training advice that will help me get out of this rut I am in?

    Thank you!

    Hi! consider changing your training routine to five days per week and add cardio after each workout. That will definetiy bump up your metabolism and get you out of your plateu.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  2. #189
    Dedicated Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    35

    Default

    hey alex, checked out some of your pics on your site and must say you looked insane!! thats the kind of physique i would love to have!!

    question: whats your opinion on using whey isolate in the morning or any time other than post workout?? my thinking is that you would really only need fast-absorbing protein pwo, and use slower protein sources at other times. obviously you know a lot more about this stuff than me, and i would def consider your input very beneficial.

    thanks again for all the help youve provided on this post, ive learned a lot just from reading many of your replies to previous questions!

  3. #190
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnielow View Post
    Can you recommend a split/routine? Sorry to ask for so much, but if you could that would be a great help.

    Junior has a good split, great job man!

    Personally I would recommend this for you for your situation and what you are trying to accomplish


    Mon: biceps & triceps & abs Cardio after training

    Tues: quads& calves cardio after training

    Wed: Chest & abs cardio after training

    Thurs: delts & traps cardio after training

    Friday Back & calves cardio after training

    Sat: off day

    Sunday off day

    Sun: off day
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  4. #191
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanch View Post
    hey alex, checked out some of your pics on your site and must say you looked insane!! thats the kind of physique i would love to have!!

    question: whats your opinion on using whey isolate in the morning or any time other than post workout?? my thinking is that you would really only need fast-absorbing protein pwo, and use slower protein sources at other times. obviously you know a lot more about this stuff than me, and i would def consider your input very beneficial.

    thanks again for all the help youve provided on this post, ive learned a lot just from reading many of your replies to previous questions!
    This is a great question:

    personally im not a big fan of protein powder in place of whole food.
    Sounds silly but Im more into whole food to satisfy my appetite and meet my protein requirements.

    Especially the first meal of the morning. Im more likely to drink whey protein after a workout during the off or should i say "pre" season than during contest prep.

    During my contest prep, i do not use much protein powder as my metabolism is jacking up and i get ferociously hungry if I do not feed myself solid food.

    I am not against protein all together, i just use it more sparingly during prep and since i stay pretty active during my pre season, i am always needing to feed my appetite so i only drink protein shakes usually before bedtime.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  5. #192
    Dedicated Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    35

    Default

    a big thanks for the feedback. i guess i will just have to give myself time and find out if whey protein or whole food works best for me

  6. #193
    Spotter grumpwurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I'm in an interesting situation in that my employer is pretty understanding (for now) with my working out at lunch. I go at lunch because that is when the people who are helping me train for my first show work out.

    But, when I factor in the 40 minute round trip commute to the gym (I live in B.F.E. Oklahoma) and a 2 hour workout, I'm pretty much gone for 3 hours.

    As I said, my employer is very understanding, but I'm afraid if I start putting cardio on the end of the workout I'll be pushing the boundries of my employer's generosity.

    I have been doing my cardio before I go to bed and don't seem to have trouble falling asleep.

    How bad is it to do cardio that late in the day? It's after my last meal for the day. Is there a better time to do cardio if I cannot do it post-workout?

  7. #194
    Iron Addict scoobysnacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,604
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    Junior has a good split, great job man!

    Personally I would recommend this for you for your situation and what you are trying to accomplish


    Mon: biceps & triceps & abs Cardio after training

    Tues: quads& calves cardio after training

    Wed: Chest & abs cardio after training

    Thurs: delts & traps cardio after training

    Friday Back & calves cardio after training

    Sat: off day

    Sunday off day

    Sun: off day
    Hey alex, did you forget hamis? Or am I missing something?

  8. #195
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpwurst View Post
    I'm in an interesting situation in that my employer is pretty understanding (for now) with my working out at lunch. I go at lunch because that is when the people who are helping me train for my first show work out.

    But, when I factor in the 40 minute round trip commute to the gym (I live in B.F.E. Oklahoma) and a 2 hour workout, I'm pretty much gone for 3 hours.

    As I said, my employer is very understanding, but I'm afraid if I start putting cardio on the end of the workout I'll be pushing the boundries of my employer's generosity.

    I have been doing my cardio before I go to bed and don't seem to have trouble falling asleep.

    How bad is it to do cardio that late in the day? It's after my last meal for the day. Is there a better time to do cardio if I cannot do it post-workout?
    I would seriously consider doing your cardio first thing in the morning since you can eat a nice amount of carbs after you do your cardio. Also you get the cardio out of the way before you go to the gym.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  9. #196
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    Hey alex, did you forget hamis? Or am I missing something?

    Yeah good one there, YOU GOT ME, i forgot hams
    I dont do hams after quads, i just want to hit quads hard, then some calves, But I do hammies on shoulder days. They can be done on other days, but thats just how i do it. I do not suggest doing quads, calves and hams on the same day.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  10. #197
    Spotter grumpwurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    I would seriously consider doing your cardio first thing in the morning since you can eat a nice amount of carbs after you do your cardio. Also you get the cardio out of the way before you go to the gym.
    Alex,

    I do my cardio first thing in the morning when my previous day's work doesn't get in the way.

    It is common for me to be at work until way after midnight and I have to be back at work no later than 9AM.

    I find it much easier to do my cardio before I go to bed since I'm wired and wide awake then try and get up and do it when running off that little amount of sleep.

    I typically average about 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and 12 during the weekends.

    I know it's bad (even when you aren't talking about bodybuilding), but my line (IT Consulting) of work is feast and famine. When it's feast time, lots of work very little sleep.

  11. #198
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpwurst View Post
    Alex,

    I do my cardio first thing in the morning when my previous day's work doesn't get in the way.

    It is common for me to be at work until way after midnight and I have to be back at work no later than 9AM.

    I find it much easier to do my cardio before I go to bed since I'm wired and wide awake then try and get up and do it when running off that little amount of sleep.

    I typically average about 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and 12 during the weekends.

    I know it's bad (even when you aren't talking about bodybuilding), but my line (IT Consulting) of work is feast and famine. When it's feast time, lots of work very little sleep.
    I would stick to the cardio at night, especially if it doesnt keep you up and a small serving of some carbs is not going to kill you. See what happens. Do eat though for sure, some protein and a small amount of carbs. HOpe that helps
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  12. #199

    Default

    Best thread on the net.

    Fellas eat up any info alex a is giving out, he knows his shit.

    I hear he's training some black dude for a show later in the year, his glutes will be shredded and everything.

  13. #200
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
    Best thread on the net.

    Fellas eat up any info alex a is giving out, he knows his shit.

    I hear he's training some black dude for a show later in the year, his glutes will be shredded and everything.
    Sure will be! Hes some black dude who is natural and in pretty good shape already.
    Im going to get his bodyfat to the lowest level you can imagine. hes doing a natural show and should kick ass due to his symetry and condition. He is highly motivated and thats what it takes so he will do just fine.

    Im currently helping competitors doing the Emerald Cup, Junior Cal, NPC Los Angeles, Gopher States and Junior Nationals. Im keeping busy but its all fun an good. I will keep you all posted on how things are going. This is a learning experience for everyone! Take care and thanks for supporting my thread!
    alex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  14. #201
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Anyone have shows upcoming and want to share their progress pics with me through email. just drop me a line.
    I have a pretty good eye for conditioning. I Know even myself during prep I seek the advise of others to gage where I am at during my prep. So much is at stake, you cant risk being silent and not getting some opinions and sometimes its better than posting on the boards.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  15. #202
    Spotter grumpwurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    Anyone have shows upcoming and want to share their progress pics with me through email. just drop me a line.
    I have a pretty good eye for conditioning. I Know even myself during prep I seek the advise of others to gage where I am at during my prep. So much is at stake, you cant risk being silent and not getting some opinions and sometimes its better than posting on the boards.
    Alex,

    I'm finally getting around to pulling pictures off my camera from 13 and 9 weeks out. There were quite a few (got my wife to take pictures). I'm going to upload them to my online web album and e-mail you a link to look at.

    I'm having to convert them to B&W because A) the lighting was harsh fluorescent B) I have brilliantly white skin (damn Scotch-Irish genetics) and I only have 2 colors white or burnt.

    The B&W makes it easier to see any definition I might have.

    Just giving you a heads up that I'll be firing off an e-mail sometime in the next day or so (sometime this weekend).

    I'm now 7 weeks out, but I don't have any more recent pics than from a week ago. It's hard to find people to take pictures

  16. #203
    NPC Nationals Contender Alex A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpwurst View Post
    Alex,

    I'm finally getting around to pulling pictures off my camera from 13 and 9 weeks out. There were quite a few (got my wife to take pictures). I'm going to upload them to my online web album and e-mail you a link to look at.

    I'm having to convert them to B&W because A) the lighting was harsh fluorescent B) I have brilliantly white skin (damn Scotch-Irish genetics) and I only have 2 colors white or burnt.

    The B&W makes it easier to see any definition I might have.

    Just giving you a heads up that I'll be firing off an e-mail sometime in the next day or so (sometime this weekend).

    I'm now 7 weeks out, but I don't have any more recent pics than from a week ago. It's hard to find people to take pictures
    Sure thing man! im lucky, my wife is a photographer and a good one. Send them when you can. Take care alex
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

  17. #204
    Spotter grumpwurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    Sure thing man! im lucky, my wife is a photographer and a good one. Send them when you can. Take care alex
    BTW, I sent you an e-mail just in case it gets caught by your SPAM catcher.

    I must say, having a spouse that is a photographer is a godsend. It's hard enough to take good pictures of people in normal situations let alone all ripped up with harsh lighting on the stage and dark conditions in the audience.

Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •