Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    Thanks buddy, i really appreciate that ! I really had made a bad decision to drop down to the lightweights. I should have just held my weight right here. Look at these pics, I was 163 and could have adjusted my food to stay right around this weight with 5 days to go.
    Yep, those were the pictures I was talking about. If you came in like that as a welter, lights out. Live and learn.

take care,

jason

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    Yep, those were the pictures I was talking about. If you came in like that as a welter, lights out. Live and learn.

take care,

jason
    Yeah thanks Jason, I should have never dropped down from this point. It would have been really easy to hold this too.

To drop down to make weight, from this point, I started upping my cardio a tad and cut a little off the top of my last meal.

Big mistakes, I should have just done the opposite! I was telling everyone I was going to be a lightweight it would have been a nice surprise to show up at the weigh in looking like this.

Live and learn, theres always next year and Im really looking forward to that!
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Sorry to be bombarding this thread, I dont know if I qualify as a beginner. I am 30, and training for 8 yrs, but in terms of shows, Ive only done 4 so I think Im a beginner in that respect.

I know you have a very high carbohydrate intake. Since my last show in october I have tried to increase my carbs in the form of whole oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Everytime I do this I immediately see a little fat start to store at my navel (that and my thigh skinfold are always the highest). Since I am competing in March I then get freaked out and drop it back down to where Im just doing 1/2 cup of oats in the morning with my eggs and cottage cheese, then 1/2 cup of oats pre training with tuna and 7oz yam and 2 scoops of WPI post training. So 3x per day. I am no where near your intake.

My training is as follows: weights 4x per week, cardio moderate intensity for 20 mins after (except on leg day). Then cardio 3x per week after work, High intensity interval training; 20 minutes.

I estimate my bodyfat to be around 6.5%, ab 6-7mm thigh 7-8mm and chest skinfold is 2mm, which gives a reading of 6%, but I dont really care about the % just the skinfolds.

I keep wondering if the only way Ill be able to effectively increase carb intake is to get out of pre contest mode, accept some bodyfat gain, but more importantly reset my metabolism, then diet down with my carbs starting at 300 grams (I weight about 155 right now). Anytime I try to increase them now, I see fat storage.

So Im 15 weeks out about 6.5%, starchy carb intake is around 100 grams per day, with the rest from veggies and what is in my shakes. Am I stuck?
    I hope this makes sense....I know i sort of rambled.

Jason

Sorry to be bombarding this thread, I dont know if I qualify as a beginner. I am 30, and training for 8 yrs, but in terms of shows, Ive only done 4 so I think Im a beginner in that respect.

I know you have a very high carbohydrate intake. Since my last show in october I have tried to increase my carbs in the form of whole oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Everytime I do this I immediately see a little fat start to store at my navel (that and my thigh skinfold are always the highest). Since I am competing in March I then get freaked out and drop it back down to where Im just doing 1/2 cup of oats in the morning with my eggs and cottage cheese, then 1/2 cup of oats pre training with tuna and 7oz yam and 2 scoops of WPI post training. So 3x per day. I am no where near your intake.

My training is as follows: weights 4x per week, cardio moderate intensity for 20 mins after (except on leg day). Then cardio 3x per week after work, High intensity interval training; 20 minutes.

I estimate my bodyfat to be around 6.5%, ab 6-7mm thigh 7-8mm and chest skinfold is 2mm, which gives a reading of 6%, but I dont really care about the % just the skinfolds.

I keep wondering if the only way Ill be able to effectively increase carb intake is to get out of pre contest mode, accept some bodyfat gain, but more importantly reset my metabolism, then diet down with my carbs starting at 300 grams (I weight about 155 right now). Anytime I try to increase them now, I see fat storage.

So Im 15 weeks out about 6.5%, starchy carb intake is around 100 grams per day, with the rest from veggies and what is in my shakes. Am I stuck?
    I hope this makes sense....I know i sort of rambled.

Jason
    Jason, are you doing cardio 6 sessions per week?

I am going to try to figure this one out because it doesnt seem like your eating much carbs at all. I eat white rice twice a day 6oz each meal and flavored oatmeal 2 meals per day and a baked potato the other.

I dont eat brown rice or yams.

Try some different foods. I know for one thing, brown rice doesnt seem to work for me. But just see what happens. I would consider increasing your post workout meal to some white rice and increase your first meal of the day slightly.

Try this, take half of your serving off your last meal of carbs and add it to those meals and see what happens.

I bet you drop some fat. How much total cardio are you doing?
    www.prepbyalex.com

6 total sessions broken out like this......

3 sessions of cardio after 3 weight sessions. Those cardio sessions are moderate intensity for 20 mins. Heart rate about 115 to 120.

Then I do 3 more HIIT sessions on non training days after work for 20 minutes, spiking my heart up to 150s and letting it settle down during the low interval to the 120s.

Man white rice, really, thats so high glycemic. I feel like Id blow up.

But, Ill try your suggestion.

My current condition (sorry they wont upload to MD as they are too big and Im too computer illiterate to know how to resize the pics):

www.kodakgallery.com
    theosnacks@hotmail.com
    password: snacks

Hello Alex,
    Thanks for doing this thread, very commendable! They should put a picture of you under the word "shredded" in the dictionary good gad!! Those pics before National are INSANE! I have a question for you regarding overall chest size. I've recently stopped doing as much flat and incline bench press barbell (probably for 3 months) and switched to dumbell because I felt like my front delts always take over during the barbell movements. (I still occasionally do barbell to switch it up, maybe once a month). I'm having trouble though adding mass to my chest both upper and lower. My typical Chest Day is:
    Dumbell Incline, Cable Flys for Lower Pecs, Flat Bench Dumbell, Incline Dumbell Flies, and lastly weighted dips. I tend to use 4 sets per exercise 12,10,8,6. Every other week or so I also do supersets to change it up. Any input though on adding size to chest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    CarpeDiem

hey alex,

just curious what are the avg heights for the different weight classes?

Thanx
    Glen

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasco666 View Post
    alex i have been lifting for a year now made great gains went from 164-185 but it seems im just stuck 185 no matter how m uch i eat my metoblsm is off the charts.. i did for the first time reach the 193 mark and caught the flew last month and went baack down to 180.. my diet is this.
    5:30- protien shake
    6:30 6 egg whites 2 bannas and a cup of oatmeal
    8:30 chicken brest with 1 cup of rice
    10:30 2 steak strips with 1 cup of rice
    12:30 2 talipia fishes with veggies
    2:30 protien shake about 80 grams
    6:00 either steak or fish again
    what am i doing wrong, i workout about 1 1/2 hours day with 2 days off..
    what can i do in my diet to make the gains i want ..my goal is 220
    Do you keep a detailed diet log, as to your daily macro Protein/Carbs/Fat intake breakdowns?

Have you calculated your BMR+Daily Activity caloric requirement baselines, monitoring carefully, and then modifying your diet, based on your results to allow you to achieve you goals?

Exactly how many calories, are you intaking daily?

How many grams of Protein/Carbs/Fat daily, are you eating?

Based on what you are indicating, you are eating daily , a very low level of fat.

Low fat intake at that level, may be negative impacting your weight gains.

Something to keep in mind, is that fat, is required for nutrient transport.

Alex?
    Last edited by Daibhí O'Buadain; December 22nd, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

3 sessions of cardio after 3 weight sessions. Those cardio sessions are moderate intensity for 20 mins. Heart rate about 115 to 120.

Then I do 3 more HIIT sessions on non training days after work for 20 minutes, spiking my heart up to 150s and letting it settle down during the low interval to the 120s.

My current condition (sorry they wont upload to MD as they are too big and Im too computer illiterate to know how to resize the pics):

www.kodakgallery.com
    theosnacks@hotmail.com

Its the protein that makes you fat not the carbs. Most people dont truly calculate the protein from the carbs, When they increase the carbs they forget that the protein is increased as well and find themselves storing fat quite easily. Remember carbs store in the form of glycogen in the muscle as well as the liver and since training is constantly depleting them, we are never at 150 millimoles which is the measurement for a fully saturated muscle. Protein on the other hand has no storage ability and once the bodies daily requirements have been met any additional is stored as fat immediately. I myself use about 280 Protein daily offseason at 165 LBM. 60 to 70 of that comes from the carbs.
    TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
    Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

www.kodakgallery.com
    theosnacks@hotmail.com
    I get completely shredded on White rice, Maple and brown sugar oatmeal with splenda added. Those are pretty much the only carbs i eat. As I get closer to the show, i eat the maple and brown sugar oats only one of hte meals and switch to just quick oats for the other. Most of the time I eat two servings of white rice and two of the maple and brown sugar oats. Try it, you will like it! j/k try it and see what happens! alex
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDiem87 View Post
    Hello Alex,
    Thanks for doing this thread, very commendable! They should put a picture of you under the word "shredded" in the dictionary good gad!! Those pics before National are INSANE! I have a question for you regarding overall chest size. I've recently stopped doing as much flat and incline bench press barbell (probably for 3 months) and switched to dumbell because I felt like my front delts always take over during the barbell movements. (I still occasionally do barbell to switch it up, maybe once a month). I'm having trouble though adding mass to my chest both upper and lower. My typical Chest Day is:
    Dumbell Incline, Cable Flys for Lower Pecs, Flat Bench Dumbell, Incline Dumbell Flies, and lastly weighted dips. I tend to use 4 sets per exercise 12,10,8,6. Every other week or so I also do supersets to change it up. Any input though on adding size to chest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    CarpeDiem
    Thanks for the compliment brother!! that was cool. A pic of me in the dictionary under the word shredded would be nice! yelp. j/k

Hey bro, you came to the right guy here about chest! Chest is one of my strongest bodyparts. But when I am flat or not carbed up enough it looks a bit small. But off season or pre contest, my chest is ridiculously thick.

Guess what will add some serious thickness to your overall chest.?..

The good old pushup! Do sets of push ups betweeen sets on the incline or even the flat bench.

Crank out a good set of rather slow reps, good form of 15-20 right after doing your set. You will see how pumped you get. Pushups add thickness to the chest without involving too much shoulder or tri cept.

Also what you are doing and switching up your exercises etc. is a great idea. Dont worry about the weight. We all do. I used to obsess over how much i benched. I was so into it. But now I could care less. Go for form and slow controlled movement. Do your sets a bit slower and controlled and swith your exercises around constantly. Do the pushups, im serious! tell me how it goes...Alex a
    www.prepbyalex.com

Default hi from alex

Quote Originally Posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
    hey alex,

just curious what are the avg heights for the different weight classes?

Thanx
    Glen
    Hey glen, the average heigh for a lighweight is about 5'4"-5"5"
    Welter about 5'5"-5"6 or 5"7
    Middles are about 5'5"-5'7 or 5'8"
    lightheavy 5'6"-5'9"
    heavy are about 5'8"-6"

To me these are the average of course the elite guys are probably shorter, but a rough average I would say.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Hey glen, the average heigh for a lighweight is about 5'4"-5"5"
    Welter about 5'5"-5"6 or 5"7
    Middles are about 5'5"-5'7 or 5'8"
    lightheavy 5'6"-5'9"
    heavy are about 5'8"-6"

To me these are the average of course the elite guys are probably shorter, but a rough average I would say.
    K cool thanx alex. I was just wondering, cos ive only really seen pros up close.

Cos im about 5'8" 1/2", and right now im about 195 ( Trying to get to 200 by the arnold classic lol) and semi lean, but by no means shredded. So I was wondering if I was tall for what weight I would end up if I was shredded.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for answering my question. And Im going to add the pushups in between sets of chest now. Thanx bro

Glen

Glen your height being a lightheavy between 176-198lbs in great shape, you would do well, especially at the shows we talked about. Yeah cool, try the pushups, especially if your trying to really bring in your chest.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Glen your height being a lightheavy between 176-198lbs in great shape, you would do well, especially at the shows we talked about. Yeah cool, try the pushups, especially if your trying to really bring in your chest.
    Im thinking id have to drop about 30 lbs to be super shredded so if i started around 200 id be about 170 or so. Which wouldnt be bad, but im not too worried about weight, Im just worried about dieting down, and seeing that I dont have as much muscle as I thought I did lol.

But have a Merry Christmas bro and Happy Holidays, Ill be getting in touch with you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
    Im thinking id have to drop about 30 lbs to be super shredded so if i started around 200 id be about 170 or so. Which wouldnt be bad, but im not too worried about weight, Im just worried about dieting down, and seeing that I dont have as much muscle as I thought I did lol.

But have a Merry Christmas bro and Happy Holidays, Ill be getting in touch with you soon.
    Getting shredded is the key reguardless of weight class. It is improtant to have as much muscle as possible so when you diet down, so you have some good quality muscle left. But being a middlweight at your height would work.

I was giving you national level scenerio. Plus like i said, the shows your doing or thinking of doing, is a whole different ball game. Middleweights usually win the natural shows.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Getting shredded is the key reguardless of weight class. It is improtant to have as much muscle as possible so when you diet down, so you have some good quality muscle left. But being a middlweight at your height would work.

I was giving you national level scenerio. Plus like i said, the shows your doing or thinking of doing, is a whole different ball game. Middleweights usually win the natural shows.
    Very Very true bro.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast