Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Default I definitely need some advice

Hi Alex, just a few comments and questions if you don't mind.

The first question is, I would respectfully ask for your advice in helping me with my training.

I am 44 years old and just started lifting seriously in the last 18 months. To be honest, I have always had a bench and some barbells and dumb bells but through ignorance and lack of dedication, I realize now that all I was really doing was goofing around.

I still have the barbells/bench and dumbells but have added a Bowflex. I use the Bowflex as it doesn't seem to aggravate my back as much on certain exercises like the free weights do. I should mention that I had a bulging disc in my lower back that required surgery. It was quite severe and I shouldn't have let it go as long as I did. The surgery only involved slicing off the two bulges on the disc and no fusing or stuff like that. It was a success and the only lasting effects are that I will never regain feeling on the front of my left thigh.

I previously did a split routine. (name 'em, I've tried 'em). I now work out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, full body routine. I do my workouts in the morning at 4:45 A.M. (work/travel permitting). On Tuesday and Thursday nights and some Saturday mornings, I go to Karate. I have been taking Karate for four months now.

I don't have any designs on being a competitive bodybuilder as my age and genetics would preclude me from such. However, I do want to be as strong and healthy as possible. Additionally, I would like to add muscle and eventually have some semblance of a trim abdomen.

So, plain and simple, I need help getting pointed in the right direction. What information would I need to provide if indeed you would agree to help me out.

Thank you for your time.

great idea for a therad alex, your conditioning and size is outstanding, props to you.

a few q's:

1/ what is your guidelines for mass in terms of training - high reps pump? pounding heavy weights? do you believe more in blood volume type of training or the heavy compunds targetting the myfibrills (so to speak).
    what is your opinion on what works/ what have you used.

2/ what is your opinion on working more than one bodypart together in the same workout/ or even full body routines say 3 times a week?

thanks A.

Just starting out. What should my diet be in terms of Carbs/Protien ratio and such. I am lost on diet (well lost on a lot of things right now actually) I am almost 5'5 and weigh 112. I guess I am working on really building the lean muscle up rather than work on cut fat down right now. Since I don't plan on competing for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
    Hi Alex, just a few comments and questions if you don't mind.

The first question is, I would respectfully ask for your advice in helping me with my training.

I am 44 years old and just started lifting seriously in the last 18 months. To be honest, I have always had a bench and some barbells and dumb bells but through ignorance and lack of dedication, I realize now that all I was really doing was goofing around.

I still have the barbells/bench and dumbells but have added a Bowflex. I use the Bowflex as it doesn't seem to aggravate my back as much on certain exercises like the free weights do. I should mention that I had a bulging disc in my lower back that required surgery. It was quite severe and I shouldn't have let it go as long as I did. The surgery only involved slicing off the two bulges on the disc and no fusing or stuff like that. It was a success and the only lasting effects are that I will never regain feeling on the front of my left thigh.

I previously did a split routine. (name 'em, I've tried 'em). I now work out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, full body routine. I do my workouts in the morning at 4:45 A.M. (work/travel permitting). On Tuesday and Thursday nights and some Saturday mornings, I go to Karate. I have been taking Karate for four months now.

I don't have any designs on being a competitive bodybuilder as my age and genetics would preclude me from such. However, I do want to be as strong and healthy as possible. Additionally, I would like to add muscle and eventually have some semblance of a trim abdomen.

So, plain and simple, I need help getting pointed in the right direction. What information would I need to provide if indeed you would agree to help me out.

Thank you for your time.
    Im really not sure what your question is here?
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by cleanbulker View Post
    great idea for a therad alex, your conditioning and size is outstanding, props to you.

a few q's:

1/ what is your guidelines for mass in terms of training - high reps pump? pounding heavy weights? do you believe more in blood volume type of training or the heavy compunds targetting the myfibrills (so to speak).
    what is your opinion on what works/ what have you used.

2/ what is your opinion on working more than one bodypart together in the same workout/ or even full body routines say 3 times a week?

thanks A.
    I believe in a high volume workout done in a short period of time. ie. short rest periods. I believe in taxing the muscle with moderate reps and lots of sets, with short rest periods.

I believe in training for size, strength and not to neglect condition in your workouts all season long.

I like to work one major bodypart and maybe a smaller one such as calves. I dont belive you should work the bodypart more than once in a week, unless it is abs or calves. If your not getting sore and not needing rest, increase your intensity!
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Just starting out. What should my diet be in terms of Carbs/Protien ratio and such. I am lost on diet (well lost on a lot of things right now actually) I am almost 5'5 and weigh 112. I guess I am working on really building the lean muscle up rather than work on cut fat down right now. Since I don't plan on competing for a year.

Check your Private messages Lynnie, i went into some detail on your diet.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Sorry about that. I am a 44 year old male, 6'2" and 200lbs. I have been attempting to rid my mid section of belly fat but it is becoming very frustrating. My routine is legs on Monday, Karate on Tuesday, Upper body on Wednesday, Karate on Thursday and then legs again on Friday. My diet is filled with lots of protein (1g/lb of body weight), 5-6 meals/day. Low carbs (40/day).

The main question is, can a person my age gain muscle and lose the belly fat to become lean and muscular or is there only a certain amount I can do. What has made this urgent for me is my blood sugar has been steadily climbing and it worries me greatly and I am hoping to control this without medication.

Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
    Sorry about that. I am a 44 year old male, 6'2" and 200lbs. I have been attempting to rid my mid section of belly fat but it is becoming very frustrating. My routine is legs on Monday, Karate on Tuesday, Upper body on Wednesday, Karate on Thursday and then legs again on Friday. My diet is filled with lots of protein (1g/lb of body weight), 5-6 meals/day. Low carbs (40/day).

The main question is, can a person my age gain muscle and lose the belly fat to become lean and muscular or is there only a certain amount I can do. What has made this urgent for me is my blood sugar has been steadily climbing and it worries me greatly and I am hoping to control this without medication.

Thanks for your patience.
    Do you want to solve this problem????

I have the answer, CARDIO!

I would recommend starting off at 20 minuts six days per week moderate cario, i.e stationary bike. No treadmill walking.

Add 5 minutes the next week untill your at 30 minutes per week. Continue with the weights. The cardio will get your bp under control, and will help you lose the bellyfat.

Train quads once per week, and every body part once per week. And get your diet on check!
    www.prepbyalex.com

I have a question. I am 16 and have a problem with chest and abdomen fat. I don't really keep track of what I eat, but the only junk food I really eat is an occasional doughnut and Crab Fries with a Hoagie when I go to Sixers games. The chest problem we think is hormonal and I may end up getting surgery for it. But the abdomen will have to just come out of hard work. What can I do to help burn off the fat? I do about 20-30 minutes of cardio after a weight training.

I have a question for contest prep, i am going to be doing 3 low days and one high day for carbs for my next contest. they will be like 200 for 3 days and 400 to 350 for one day. I want all my carbs in by meal four, but my delima is that i work out after my forth meal and am wanting to use virtago for a pwo carb. Should i count that in my carb content for the day or not. I mean i think i will need some carbs pwo right? LMK what you think here.

Banned

Hey Alex .
    This is a great thread. This will be a thread i will use this year.
    A lot of guys here are looking for help as beginners...So welcome aboard.
    Once again thanks for being here helping out.
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by richja223 View Post
    I have a question. I am 16 and have a problem with chest and abdomen fat. I don't really keep track of what I eat, but the only junk food I really eat is an occasional doughnut and Crab Fries with a Hoagie when I go to Sixers games. The chest problem we think is hormonal and I may end up getting surgery for it. But the abdomen will have to just come out of hard work. What can I do to help burn off the fat? I do about 20-30 minutes of cardio after a weight training.
    Hey bro! thanks for asking. Help is just around the corner

I would increase your cardio after training. Bump the intensity up a bit. Then you just have to trash donuts and fried stuff all the time bro. Find another alternative like a pretzel or peanuts even. Fried doe is the worst thing you can eat.

I believe if you also increase your cario five minutes every week that will help burn the calories. This should really help bro!
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by purebeef View Post
    I have a question for contest prep, i am going to be doing 3 low days and one high day for carbs for my next contest. they will be like 200 for 3 days and 400 to 350 for one day. I want all my carbs in by meal four, but my delima is that i work out after my forth meal and am wanting to use virtago for a pwo carb. Should i count that in my carb content for the day or not. I mean i think i will need some carbs pwo right? LMK what you think here.
    I can see a bit of a dilema, but

Bro, i would have the carbs post workout. As long as its not too late at night, dont worry. If your metabolism is on fire and your way into your prep, especially then it wont really matter. It is a good question though. let me konw if you need me to elaborate or have any more.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Thank you Alex. I will begin the cardio immediately. As for diet, it is my understanding that carbs are no good when one is trying to control blood sugar. I have cut down on these considerably but should I cut them out all together? I hear a lot of conflicting stories on this?

Alex--

I dont think I asked you this yet.

what is your stance on morning cardio empty stomach supplementing with muscle sparing aminos (glutamine and essential amino acids)?

BTW, I was tested on a 6 site at 5.8% at 154 this past Saturday, 12 weeks out from first show of the year, The Northern Kentucky Bodybuilding Championships, last year had over 250 competitors, its a huge regional show. I stayed lean this offseason and Im trying to get those darned glute hami tie ins real crips; your conditioning is my ideal, but sometimes ideals are unattainable, but if you shoot for it, you will be rewarded. We'll see how I progress.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason what class will you be in?

I have a few clients competing

Quote Originally Posted by bhman6 View Post
    Jason what class will you be in?

I have a few clients competing
    Historically Ive been a bantamweight, the avy pic is from my class win at the Mr cincy in 2003. Based on where Im at now, I could see making lightweights, but Id be towards the bottom in weight.

In the end, I dont really care, just want to be dry and shredded as I possibly can. But, more than likely in order to get to the ideal I want I will come in at 143 1/4 by show day. No bigger than a lightweight though, as Ive already made that weight, 154 at 5.8% on a 6 site. My legs are always 3-4 weeks IMO behind, so Ill just keep leaning out until they catch up.

Which classes will your clients be in?

Take care,

Jason

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast