Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 175758596061626364656667686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,123 to 1,139 of 1228

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Hey Alex.

How long does it take before u start noticing your gains...

i know everyone is different but i have OCD and i look everyday

when should i step on a scale, when should i measure?

Quote Originally Posted by chucklestheclown View Post
    Hey Alex.

How long does it take before u start noticing your gains...

i know everyone is different but i have OCD and i look everyday

when should i step on a scale, when should i measure?
    This is a good question .... and i have to try to convince you to stay out of the mirror and off the scale... let your program do the work then give it some time... the longer you wait the more impressed you will be...

I would stay covered and dont micromanage and nit pick yourself.. I dont konw if your a beginner or not.. but if you are... then you have a ways to go and just be ready for a long ride.

Noticiing gains on eveyone is different.. for exmaple.. this years prep for me went like this... 10 weeks of hard dieting...sticking tomy plan without deviation... i get on a scale and no weight loss... and nothing showing up in the mirror but i feel leane and i know i have lost a good amount of fat...

so there is no way that i didnt make any gains during this time...

i wait about 2 weeks and in that time... everything is kicking in and I cant keep my eye off myself.. Now im super motivated and taking itup a notch... but at the beginnning it could have been a major discouragement if i weighed myself each weak and no weight loss ....

So... i advise.. stay out of the mirror and off the scale for many weeks.. esepecially if you starting a program to get lean and ripped for a show..

the body needs time to produce noticable loss of fat... but once it starts... it will be majorly notciable... and that will pick you up..

One big problem people have is that they are impatient and have to see results immediately... This sport i about longevity and working hard for a long time is somthing that you have to committ too..
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Nobody

what is the best way to start at the age of 30 after a 10 year lay off

Quote Originally Posted by shinto View Post
    what is the best way to start at the age of 30 after a 10 year lay off
    I dont think 30 is too old... what is the best way? Like everyone else... Join a gym, get a good plan in order and start to execute it.. And if you stick to it... age will not be an issue.. trust me. I started competing at 32...
    www.prepbyalex.com

Default Diet, Calories, and Protein/Fat/Carbs

I'm 5'8" 143 lbs and have been monitoring my meals closely. I eat 5 meals/day, and average about 2300 calories/day. My calorie percentages are fat 15%, protein 40%, carbs 45%.

For protein, this always works out to over 200g/day.

My energy levels are high, but from everything I read, my calorie intake is low, My bf is between 13% and 14%.

Should I be able to gain muscle and stay or become more lean with these numbers or do I need to add more fat/calories, etc?

Thanks.

Default Basic questions.

I have recently gotten into training and diet pretty heavily but am still learning a lot. I have a pretty general question I was hoping anyone could help me with. When it comes to weighing out and measure food what is the easiest or most accurate method?

Specifically a few foods. Boneless, skinless chicken breast for example for example, I imagine it easiest to measure after I cook it since I cook in bulk but what are the macros of cooked chicken breast?

Also cooked brown rice?

I am just concerned with the accuracy of these measurements.

Any tips?

Default Measuring what you eat

You can get food scales at stores like Target or Walmart. For the calorie, protein, etc. amounts in the food, check out http://www.livestrong.com

You can enter what you eat on that site and it will automatically calculate proteins, carbs, fats, sodium, etc.

Well I already have a scale that accurate to the 1/8 an ounce and measures in grams that's not the problem. I'm just unsure about the macros in cooked food because it is to difficult to determine it in raw when you cook in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by RFlori34 View Post
    Well I already have a scale that accurate to the 1/8 an ounce and measures in grams that's not the problem. I'm just unsure about the macros in cooked food because it is to difficult to determine it in raw when you cook in bulk.
    On http://www.livestrong.com , you can enter the cooked weight of what you eat, even the brand name of a food, and it will calculate stuff for you. I try to eat the same amount by weight each time to make entering it easier.

Spotter

Im 6'0 Tall an 210 pounds. Bench is 295. Im trying to get into body building and wanted to know what kind of meal plan to put on about 20 pounds? thanks

Sorry, posted in wrong area.

Dedicated Noob

How essential is the deadlift in a workout routine and would I do it last in my workout because of the amount of energy expended?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Romeo View Post
    How essential is the deadlift in a workout routine and would I do it last in my workout because of the amount of energy expended?

i think you should try doing it both in the beginning as well as at the end and then see how you feel. then maybe try to do one or the other for a while and record weights, reps, how you feel. then after a few weeks to a couple of months, switch it up. you may want to even try doing dl's 2x/week or every other week. the thing is, do it how you feel the best way suits you body and then go with that, but once you get comfortable you should probably switch it up.

Spotter

Alex, my compliments on the work you did with your client Jake Cagle. He looked great.

I have a question, if your entering an off season and you want to put on muscle but still keep some conditioning what are the basic principles.

Diet-high protein, high calories, weight gain powders, meal frequency??

Cardio---yes or no?

Training---heavy weights, low reps?

Thanks and keep up the good work. When will you compete again?
    What is your primary job, teaching?

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by v-man View Post
    Alex, my compliments on the work you did with your client Jake Cagle. He looked great.

I have a question, if your entering an off season and you want to put on muscle but still keep some conditioning what are the basic principles.

Diet-high protein, high calories, weight gain powders, meal frequency??

Cardio---yes or no?

Training---heavy weights, low reps?

Thanks and keep up the good work. When will you compete again?
    What is your primary job, teaching?

Vito
    thanks.. Jake did a great job in a short time that i worked with him.. losing over 40lbs and looking that good!

Basically i recommend clean eating and quality food for good gains..

I dont believe in bulking.. I only believe in putting on quality muscle and you wont do that eating junk food.

I believe in some cardio to keep fit and tight.. this also allows you to push more food through your body..

Your appetite will increase and you will be able to consume more calories without storing bodyfat.. each person is different in how much they should do.. Thats why generic diets and copy past programs dont work.

To really maximize your off season it is sometimes wise to step back and have a second set of eyes( someone with experience and knowledge) help you run your program..
    For example Jake... He is working with me this off season.. actually all year and for a show in 2011..

My primary job is Teaching. I teach Physical Education and work with students with disabilities in grades prek to 6th. I also work with dozens of competitors and people on off season diets, conditioning programs and contest prep.

My website will be re vamped in 2010.. but there is quite a bit of content and photos of clients up there right now..

My next show is the nationals in 2010.. I will be working hard this off season to work on bring more size to the stage.. At the national level, condition is not enough.. you have to have all of it!

This is a picture of me from pre judging.. the guy on the left placed 3rd.. then there is me.. then there the guy that placed 5th and 6th..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.prepbyalex.com

Spotter

Thanks for the advice.

I think it's quite admirable to work with young children with disabilities. And they couldn't have a better role model then you on the positive effects of exercise in one's life. You should be very proud of what you do.

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by v-man View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I think it's quite admirable to work with young children with disabilities. And they couldn't have a better role model then you on the positive effects of exercise in one's life. You should be very proud of what you do.

Vito
    thanks for taking the time to stop in.. I remember you posting a while back on pm.. i hope all is going great!
    www.prepbyalex.com

Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 175758596061626364656667686970717273 LastLast