Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Quote Originally Posted by Zwier View Post
    Alex thanks for the great thread !

What is your vieuw on supplements ?What you use and why ?

I notice you like high cars low fat but how high would you advise protien to be ?

I think everybody love to see the quik programs you make for people like younggungs everybody can learn from them.

Greets from Holland

Im really not a big believer in supplements. Im more into food than supps!

I dont believe in creatine, it seems to only make you hold water. But others dissagree. I havent used the stuff since it first came out.

Glutamine is good for helping preserve muscle before your sleep or between meals. I only believe its beneficial when your dieting and not eating at night or for periods of time that are excessive.

I believe in a good multi vitamin mineral supplement and protein powder. I but the cheapest stuff out there. Protein is protein. I buy the bulk stuff from COSCO.

Thats pretty much it.

As far as protein goes. I try to get about fifty grams per serving. Six servings per day. I believe in getting in about two grams per pound of bodyweight. That seems to work well.

Based on younguns video I believe he should continue to train hard and not drop cardio from his plan. I believe in eating good, training hard and doing cardio to keep the bodyfat in check.

I dont believe in Bulking up because that really just means putting on unnecessary weight that your going to take off anyways. I believe in eating more calories and food during your off season, but training for conditioning.

I am a conditioning bodybuilder year round. I do abs, cardio, and stay lean and tight. Not the fitness model look but the lean hard look! Fat and sloppy is not my thing, anymore. I lift heavy but don't care about how heavy. I dont keep track of what i lift. I dont use journals, etc.

I believe each day is a different day in the gym and you should treat it that day. For example. for legs i usuaaly do squats, leg pressess and extensions.

Yesterday I did squats, it felt so good, i just kept doing set after set after set and did Ten sets. Then I finished up with leg extensions. I go by feel of the weight and exercise. If somtdhing is working good, stick to it.

Young guns mentioned about bodyfat, I believe ten percent is a great goal for many. That is pretty damn low, it really is. If you can hold that all year long, I praise you. Any other questions?
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

I was wondering if you guys find it harder to stay motivated during the winter months?

I do pretty good, but man, i love being super lean in the summer. My next show is nationals in November, i wish that show was mid summer!
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    I was wondering if you guys find it harder to stay motivated during the winter months?

I do pretty good, but man, i love being super lean in the summer. My next show is nationals in November, i wish that show was mid summer!
    LOL! I always seem to do things backwards, currently I am dieting for the Northern Kentucky the largest one day amateur show in the country. Here are my current pics at 7 weeks out: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=bx2hulyk.659nc9ig&x=0&y=qaeji .

So, by the time I hit all my spring shows by May it will be time for me to start an offseason phase which I havent really had in years, but is evident I need. I am not sure which class Ill fall into this time, I really dont care, but it will be light or bantam. I would prefer top of bantams but I wont chase it.

So I have to decide to get fully into my offseason or diet a bit after May to enjoy the leanness for the summer. Decisions. Ill probably settle for about 50 carbs past saturation so for me about 380 keeping protein around 1.5 lbm with lower fats, around 40 and see how I react to that. I should stay fairly lean but add some clean mass.

How is your prep for Nationals coming along, you adding any size?

Ss

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    LOL! I always seem to do things backwards, currently I am dieting for the Northern Kentucky the largest one day amateur show in the country. Here are my current pics at 7 weeks out: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=bx2hulyk.659nc9ig&x=0&y=qaeji .

So, by the time I hit all my spring shows by May it will be time for me to start an offseason phase which I havent really had in years, but is evident I need. I am not sure which class Ill fall into this time, I really dont care, but it will be light or bantam. I would prefer top of bantams but I wont chase it.

So I have to decide to get fully into my offseason or diet a bit after May to enjoy the leanness for the summer. Decisions. Ill probably settle for about 50 carbs past saturation so for me about 380 keeping protein around 1.5 lbm with lower fats, around 40 and see how I react to that. I should stay fairly lean but add some clean mass.

How is your prep for Nationals coming along, you adding any size?

Ss
    You are seven weeks out in the pics? You look way ahead of schedule which is good! Or should I say awesome. How many shows are you doing this year? Hope you kick ass in all of them. Your plan sounds good, changing up things with the diet should be a good move. I like the bump in carbs bro. Im sure your going to like what happens.

My plan last year was to keep my weight low because I knew I would struggle to make weight since my show prior to the Nationals was the USA and on thursdays weigh in i was 154lbs on the nose! barley made it! The stupidest thing was thinking I could go nearly 16months and still make it a 154lbs again. Wrong! Yeah I did, but lost about 7 lbs of muscle.

This year im putting on a some size,nothing ridiculous. No double chins or belly but eating more, more carbs, more protein and more fats. And training a bit heavier. I do want to gain about 3-5lbs and be about 165 at nationals next year. That is a good weight for me. I should be able to. I weigh 163lbs in the pics I posted at 5 days out. Keep in touch. alex a
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    You are seven weeks out in the pics? You look way ahead of schedule which is good! Or should I say awesome. How many shows are you doing this year? Hope you kick ass in all of them. Your plan sounds good, changing up things with the diet should be a good move. I like the bump in carbs bro. Im sure your going to like what happens.

My plan last year was to keep my weight low because I knew I would struggle to make weight since my show prior to the Nationals was the USA and on thursdays weigh in i was 154lbs on the nose! barley made it! The stupidest thing was thinking I could go nearly 16months and still make it a 154lbs again. Wrong! Yeah I did, but lost about 7 lbs of muscle.

This year im putting on a some size,nothing ridiculous. No double chins or belly but eating more, more carbs, more protein and more fats. And training a bit heavier. I do want to gain about 3-5lbs and be about 165 at nationals next year. That is a good weight for me. I should be able to. I weigh 163lbs in the pics I posted at 5 days out. Keep in touch. alex a
    Thanks means a lot coming from someone who gets shredded, if I can get near your conditioning Ill be a happy man. Currently prepping on 275 c/250p/40f. Drop them 225 on non training days, loving how its working.

I agree with you about top of the welters will be a good weight for you to come in full and that Alex A conditioning. Your lean tissue goals seem very attainable as well allowing you to stay leaner. I know for myself at 5'5" I should be more around 154 to have a fighting chance at ever winning an overall at the local/regional level, but baby steps, lol. I will get there though.

Ill stay in touch.....good chatting with you, I guess our shows just have us dieting into the winter, lol.....but I can hold some of it if I choose...

Ss

Nobody

Alex,

I have been trying to lose my gut for the past 8 months now and have had no luck doing so. I was wondering if you could help me break through this wall of fat. I am currently 33 yrs old, 200 lbs, 22% body fat.

When I first started I was 24% body fat and I was on a low carb diet (TNT by Men’s Health Magazine) that got me down to 200 lbs, 18% body fat. After 6 six months I hit a plateau and decided to try a 40-40-20 diet @ 2400 calories. After a month of this I went back to 200 lbs, 20% body fat but I figured it was natural because I had reintroduced the carbs. After some advice from friends I increased my calories to 2600 because I was told I was starving myself because of all the calories I was burning. So after a month of 2600 calories I am back to 200 lbs, 24% body fat and just so confused.

During a week hiatus I decided to tweak my macronutrients again. Now I am at a 40-45-15 diet @1900 calories. I have read so much these past 8 months that I don’t know if I am coming or going anymore.

My current work out routine is

Mon: (1000 calories burned via polar watch)
    Incline Barbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Flat Barbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Flat Flyes 3 x 12-15
    Dips 2 x 12-15
    French Press 3 x 12-15
    Overhead Dumbbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Cable Pushdowns 3 x 12-15
    Crunches on an incline 3 x 12-15

Tues: Cardio (6:30 am) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Wed: 1000 calories burned via polar watch
    Reverse Grip Pull Down 3 x 12-15
    Single Arm Rows 3 x 12-15
    Bent Over Rows 3 x 12-15
    Hyperextension 3 x 12-15
    Barbell Curls 3 x 12-15
    Alternate Dumbbell Curls 3 x 12-15
    Hammer Curls 3 x 12-15
    Seated Calve Press 3 x 15-20

Thurs: Cardio (6:30 am) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Fri: 1000 calories burned via polar watch
    Leg extension 3 x 15-20
    Leg Press 3 x 15-20
    Hack Squat 3 x 15-20
    Hamstring Curls 3 x 15-20
    Arnold Press 3 x 12-15
    Rear raises 3 x 12-15
    Side Raises 3 x 12-15
    Lying leg raises 3 x 12-15

Sat: Racquetball 1200 calories burned

Sun: Cardio (12:00 pm) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Oh yeah, I am also currently taking Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein and animal pak multi vitamins.

Can you please help me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by el_super_dan View Post
    Alex,

I have been trying to lose my gut for the past 8 months now and have had no luck doing so. I was wondering if you could help me break through this wall of fat. I am currently 33 yrs old, 200 lbs, 22% body fat.

When I first started I was 24% body fat and I was on a low carb diet (TNT by Menís Health Magazine) that got me down to 200 lbs, 18% body fat. After 6 six months I hit a plateau and decided to try a 40-40-20 diet @ 2400 calories. After a month of this I went back to 200 lbs, 20% body fat but I figured it was natural because I had reintroduced the carbs. After some advice from friends I increased my calories to 2600 because I was told I was starving myself because of all the calories I was burning. So after a month of 2600 calories I am back to 200 lbs, 24% body fat and just so confused.

During a week hiatus I decided to tweak my macronutrients again. Now I am at a 40-45-15 diet @1900 calories. I have read so much these past 8 months that I donít know if I am coming or going anymore.

My current work out routine is

Mon: (1000 calories burned via polar watch)
    Incline Barbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Flat Barbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Flat Flyes 3 x 12-15
    Dips 2 x 12-15
    French Press 3 x 12-15
    Overhead Dumbbell Press 3 x 12-15
    Cable Pushdowns 3 x 12-15
    Crunches on an incline 3 x 12-15

Tues: Cardio (6:30 am) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Wed: 1000 calories burned via polar watch
    Reverse Grip Pull Down 3 x 12-15
    Single Arm Rows 3 x 12-15
    Bent Over Rows 3 x 12-15
    Hyperextension 3 x 12-15
    Barbell Curls 3 x 12-15
    Alternate Dumbbell Curls 3 x 12-15
    Hammer Curls 3 x 12-15
    Seated Calve Press 3 x 15-20

Thurs: Cardio (6:30 am) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Fri: 1000 calories burned via polar watch
    Leg extension 3 x 15-20
    Leg Press 3 x 15-20
    Hack Squat 3 x 15-20
    Hamstring Curls 3 x 15-20
    Arnold Press 3 x 12-15
    Rear raises 3 x 12-15
    Side Raises 3 x 12-15
    Lying leg raises 3 x 12-15

Sat: Racquetball 1200 calories burned

Sun: Cardio (12:00 pm) 40 min, 500 calories burned via polar watch

Oh yeah, I am also currently taking Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein and animal pak multi vitamins.

Can you please help me?

Thanks
    Bro, you seem to be dilligent with your training and your doing cardio, but you did not mention what you are eating. That is what I want to hear, what are and when are your meals. THanks, i would love to help you further. take care, im sure we can get you dialed in bro, alex a
    www.prepbyalex.com

Nobody

Alex,

Hey sorry for not putting in some of my meals, totally slipped my mind.

Well, here is two days worth of meals. This is basically what I have been eating ever since I stopped doing the low carb diet (roughly about 2.5 months). Other than tweaking the macronutrients this is what I have been eating. I mentioned in my last post that I was doing a 40-40-20 diet but in my example I was trying to stay at a 1900 calorie intake with a 500 calorie deficit. If I was over the 500 calories I would add some extra calories to stay within the 500 calorie deficit.

1/28/2008
    carbs protein fat calories
    oat meal +blueberries 128.6 144.9 47.9 321.4
    banana+strawberry smoothie 128.0 143.2 45.1 316.2
    mushromm chicken+stuffing 128.2 145.0 64.6 337.8
    banana+blueberry smoothie 128.9 143.1 44.9 316.9
    mushromm chicken+stuffing 128.2 145.0 64.6 337.8
    bannana smoothie 129.2 144.3 46.3 319.8
    sausage 1.0 9.0 22.0 240.0

total calories 901.2 1018.8 381.7 2509.7
    total grams 225.3 254.7 42.4
    total percentages 35.9% 40.6% 15.2%

1/29/2008
    carbs protein fat calories
    oat meal +blueberries 128.6 144.9 47.9 321.4
    banana+strawberry smoothie 128.0 143.2 45.1 316.2
    beef serlion tacos+rice 128.8 145.4 100.8 375.0
    beef serlion tacos+rice 128.8 145.4 100.8 375.0
    pineapple+mango smoothie 116.6 130.2 10.7 257.5

total calories 760.0 853.5 351.6 1965.1
    total grams 190.0 213.4 39.1
    total percentages 38.7% 43.4% 17.9%

With all the reading that I have been doing and the monitoring of my body fat percentage every month, I have been wondering if I could be “carb sensitive” or a “fast oxidizer”. What ever book you read I guess it all means the same.

Well this may sound crazy but on Monday I was in the middle of transitioning back into the low carb lifestyle and staying at a 2000 calorie intake. What do you think?

I know you didn’t ask for this but here are a few months of my body comp. results. Just to show you some of my frustration. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that I am not at 26% body fat but it does piss me off to see positive results go down the toilet in just a few weeks.

Date weight percentage lean mass fat mass
    12/7/2006 209 26.1 154.5 54.5
    8/27/2007 203 20.8 160.8 42.2
    10/23/2007 205 20.7 162.6 42.4
    11/20/2007 201 18.8 163.3 37.8
    12/20/2007 198 20.5 157.4 40.6
    1/20/2008 203 22.6 157.1 45.9

From 5/08-11/08 I was on a low carb life style and then reintroduced the carbs after that.

Well sorry for making you read all this and I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Nobody

Alex,

Sorry that all the figures are squished together. If you would like I can email you this post so it’s easier to read my food intake.

Thanks

Nobody

Hi

Are ladies allowed in here its just there doesnt seem to be any. ?????? And dont want to intrude somewhere im not welcome

Im 38 female,
    5ft 11 ins
    weight 162lbs.

currently lifting as heavy as i can , calories 2400 average, but only been doing this for a couple of weeks (due to confusion ).
    150g protein 350gms carbs (the carbs is a bit hit and miss usually lower)
    Im eating as clean as possible, oats for brekkie and rice for other carbs.

Trying to build muscle would like to get to the end of the year or begging of next with a figure that would allow me to compete.

Im really serious with this, but have no family or friends who are willing to support me in my attempt to reach my goal.

Do have a couple of pics from the end of last year when i was carb cycling which does work really well.

I just want to make sure im doing the right things and not wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by el_super_dan View Post
    Alex,

Sorry that all the figures are squished together. If you would like I can email you this post so itís easier to read my food intake.

Thanks
    Yeah go ahead and do that. prepbyalex@aol.com
    take care alex a
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by jo0607 View Post
    Hi

Are ladies allowed in here its just there doesnt seem to be any. ?????? And dont want to intrude somewhere im not welcome

Im 38 female,
    5ft 11 ins
    weight 162lbs.

currently lifting as heavy as i can , calories 2400 average, but only been doing this for a couple of weeks (due to confusion ).
    150g protein 350gms carbs (the carbs is a bit hit and miss usually lower)
    Im eating as clean as possible, oats for brekkie and rice for other carbs.

Trying to build muscle would like to get to the end of the year or begging of next with a figure that would allow me to compete.

Im really serious with this, but have no family or friends who are willing to support me in my attempt to reach my goal.

Do have a couple of pics from the end of last year when i was carb cycling which does work really well.

I just want to make sure im doing the right things and not wasting my time.
    Ladies welcome of course! Go ahead and email them to me at
    prepbyalex@aol.com

take care.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Nobody

Thanx Alex,
    Much appreciated.

But like i said i havent been doing this that long, and the pics are pre - christmas and different diet so not a true representation of how i look now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nobody

They arent great, but then i guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jo0607 View Post
    They arent great, but then i guess everyone has to start somewhere.
    they're really not bad, don't be too down on yourself
    you've got good muscularity for a new female. you've definitely got potential, keep up the work and you'll soar

Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by big_swoll View Post
    they're really not bad, don't be too down on yourself
    you've got good muscularity for a new female. you've definitely got potential, keep up the work and you'll soar

Thank you much appreciated

hey, i worked out consistently for over a year training naturally,( im staying natural ) and got my deadlift to 405, my squat to 315, and my bench to 235, and i managed to get my bw down as low as 193. my problem is that i had to take a 3 month layoff, i was unable to eat clean or work out during those 3 months. my bw shot to 235lbs again, and my lifts are about 60% what they were. what do you recommend to get myself back on track as quickly as possible?

Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast