Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 206061626364656667686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,174 to 1,190 of 1228

Thread: Any beginners need help, just ask

Hey Alex....had a question.
    I'm 26...looking to gain size.
    I am trying to eat 600+ over maintaince and just started creatine.

I've been doing my current split for almost 6 months.
    It goes as follows

Monday (Chest+Bi+Tri's)
    -Flat Bench
    -Incline Bench
    -BB Curl (Preacher instead every four weeks)
    -DB Hammer
    -Close Grip Bench
    -DB Tricep Ext OR Dips

Tuesday
    -HIIT Cardio (5 min warm up...10 min intervals (45 sec at 50%...15 sec 100%)...5-10 min cooldown

Wednesday (Legs)
    -Smith Squats
    -Sled Leg Press
    -SLDL (every other week)
    -Leg Curl Machine
    -Standing Calf Raise
    -Sled Calf Press

Friday (Back and Delts)
    -DL (on weeks when I do NOT do SLDL)
    -Close Chins
    -T Row or Smith BB Row
    -Smith Shrugs
    -Seated DB Overhead Military Press
    -DB Side Lateral Raise
    -Rear Lateral Pulldown (to work rear delts)
    These workouts usually take 90-100 mins each.

When I first started in January...the goal was to do 3 sets.
    Since I am going for hypertrophy I was told to do 6-10 reps for upper body and 8-15 reps for lower body.
    I was told not to raise the weight until I could get 11 reps on any one set.
    The goal was to raise weight or reps each week.
    I stalled in May...so I re-adjusted.
    I raised the weight 5-10 pounds...then raised the weight another 5-10 pounds and have kept that weight until I matched the prior weeks reps.

Example...I had bench at 185 for 10,8,5 reps...I could not get 11...I was stalled.
    Even so...I raised bench to 195 and got 7,6,5....then raised it next week to 205 and got 5,4,3.....I still am stuck at 205 for 6,5,4...I haven't gotten 7,6,5.
    Moreover...many of my sets are below the hypertrophy threshold of 6-10 reps.

So I'm wondering, what should I do?
    Keep the same split?
    Change the split?
    Keep the split but change the weight/reps/and number of sets to get over my strength stall?

Forgot to add...I take 3-5/6 min rest between sets.
    3 min for small exercises (bi) and 5/6 for large like bench/squat.
    Proper?

Quote Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
    Forgot to add...I take 3-5/6 min rest between sets.
    3 min for small exercises (bi) and 5/6 for large like bench/squat.
    Proper?
    Thats a lot of rest.. seriously 5 -6 min of rest between sets? why..

There is a lot going on here.your trying to do a weeks worth of working out in 3 days.. to me, this is not ideal..

I would train more often ( 5 days) cut the workouts down ...so you can properly train each bodypart your trying to train..
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A View Post
    Thats a lot of rest.. seriously 5 -6 min of rest between sets? why..

There is a lot going on here.your trying to do a weeks worth of working out in 3 days.. to me, this is not ideal..

I would train more often ( 5 days) cut the workouts down ...so you can properly train each bodypart your trying to train..
    Thanks!

A. I rest 5-6 so I can recover.
    B. I train 3 per week because for a beg I had been told not to overtrain...which going more than 3X would be.

Thanks!

A. I rest 5-6 so I can recover.
    B. I train 3 per week because for a beg I had been told not to overtrain...which going more than 3X would be.

you're not a beginner. You said in another thread that you have been training for 8 years.
    "JRG, you've got a feminine face and the balls....you're okay in my book."

Hi Alex

I have read through every page of this thread and I find your methods of dieting and training very interesting! You certainly look like you know what you are doing! Props to you bro!

There is much in this thread about your dieting techniques but little about your training techniques.

Could you share with us how you approach your workouts?

I know you advocate high volume and short rest periods, but HOW do you do this?

1) How do your sets look like in terms of volume and reps? How many sets and what kind of rep range?

2) How many WORKING SETS do you do for each bodypart?

3) Do you take every WORKING SET to failure?

4) Do you do forced reps?

5) Do you focus more on the poundage or the form and execution?

6) What kind of poundages (heavy, moderate) and what kind of rep ranges (8-10, 10-15) do you advocate?

7) Do you focus more on basic barbell and dumbell movements than machines? Do you use any machines at all? Smith or Hammer Strenght?

I hope you understand what I am asking you to explain.

Thank you so much for your time Alex and I hope everything is going well with your training and your family life.

Quote Originally Posted by durgur View Post
    Hi Alex

I have read through every page of this thread and I find your methods of dieting and training very interesting! You certainly look like you know what you are doing! Props to you bro!

There is much in this thread about your dieting techniques but little about your training techniques.

Could you share with us how you approach your workouts?

I know you advocate high volume and short rest periods, but HOW do you do this?

1) How do your sets look like in terms of volume and reps? How many sets and what kind of rep range?

2) How many WORKING SETS do you do for each bodypart?

3) Do you take every WORKING SET to failure?

4) Do you do forced reps?

5) Do you focus more on the poundage or the form and execution?

6) What kind of poundages (heavy, moderate) and what kind of rep ranges (8-10, 10-15) do you advocate?

7) Do you focus more on basic barbell and dumbell movements than machines? Do you use any machines at all? Smith or Hammer Strenght?

I hope you understand what I am asking you to explain.

Thank you so much for your time Alex and I hope everything is going well with your training and your family life.
    Hey thanks for taking the time to read this thread... and also thanks for asking about my family..

I wanted know if you would go to my website prepbyalex.com

and click on my blog, and scross down and check out the new content i just added..

I have been trying to keep my website updated and im going to start adding new pics every few days to keep people interested...

On the questions you asked... about the high volume and short rest...

What i advocate is getting a very through workout done in the least amount of time, by only resting enough to catch your breath then continue your workout..

From spending many years in the gym, if you look around you... dont you see a lot of standing around time? it seems like it to me

And i started realizing that i can get good workouts done with a pretty high volume of work in a afairly short workout time...

As for sets.. i advocate 4 working sets with rep range in the 8-10 sometimes going down to 4-6 for heavy leg lifts.. Even when my bodyfat is really low.. i like to train heavy with shorter reps to keep as much muscle i can while dieting hard..

I do forced reps as best as i can since i train alone.. I do what i can.. I try to train as intense as i can with ut most in form!

To me, form is key to proper training by far... I Really cant stress enough the value of actually training the bodypart your trying to train without outside assistance from other bodypats... so... i really stress fom..

as for poundage and rep range.... I Used to train for single rep lifts.. like challenging myself to bench more than anyonoe in the gym.. and for a long time i had a 425lb flat bench no assistance, no jacket... For many years i was regularly repping 315 for 12... i was really proud of that..

but im a bodybuilder now and i dont care bout that stuff... I train to build my body.. not to show off.. I go and show off when im on stage after prepping all year for my contest.

I tend to use mostly bar bells and dumbells but they have their place too.. I like smith overhead shouder presses.. I sometimes now even do my cincline on the smith because the other machine is often being used and i find it to be adequate..

Im not in love with any machine... but cant workout with bars and dumbells..
    Last edited by Alex A; July 16th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Quote Originally Posted by jrg_715 View Post
    you're not a beginner. You said in another thread that you have been training for 8 years.
    Are you the hall monitor or something tattle tale?
    What constitutes or makes a beginner?
    Everybody has questions and many can be found/answered on threads like this.
    Anyway...get the fuck out of here since you obviously are trolling.

Are you the hall monitor or something tattle tale?
    What constitutes or makes a beginner?
    Everybody has questions and many can be found/answered on threads like this.
    Anyway...get the fuck out of here since you obviously are trolling.
    I hear what you mean on this one.

A beginner is a subjective word.

I am not new to training or competing but i am surely not done learning.
    www.prepbyalex.com

Nobody

hi i am doing p90x and other workouts to build muscle i am 5,5 140lbs i take jacked3d before i workout and a whey protien shake after i need a diet plan or help with what to eat please thank you

Dedicated Noob

I'm new to this site. I don't know who or where to go to ask someone how to help me with a Masteron Enanthate powder Recipe..

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Saney View Post
    I'm new to this site. I don't know who or where to go to ask someone how to help me with a Masteron Enanthate powder Recipe..
    This is not the right place to be aking for such things try chemical enhancement and do some looking around first before making another post like this bud.

Nobody

What's a good calorie base for a 56-year-old dieting female? I currently weigh 147 at 5'4". What would be a good goal weight too? Thanks.

JessieT

sorry ... but ever since the beginners section got burrried in all these subsections the whole beginners section died out so im rarely on here... feel free to post up a little more info and i surely can give you some advise.. thanks..
    www.prepbyalex.com

Hey Alex,

Thanks for getting something rolling for intro body builders like myself. You know I have been training for a while but really just started to learn the art (for lack of a better term). In the past 4 or 5 months I have challenged myself in the gym with a constant work out schedule and have seen some great results!

In the new year I plan on locking down my diet. I have been looking on websites and reading blogs etc. and it seems like it's all generic eat oatmeal for breakfast, 2 shakes a day and two or 3 meals with chicken, turkey or fish with rice and veggies.

Just wondering if you could help me out with a website or a template that could direct me in building a not so boring diet.

Thank bro for helping us all out. (hoping you still check this out)

Merry Christmas and Peace!

Nobody

Hey Alex, i havent really ever gotten a clear cut answer on this since ive been working out and have done many searches on it but to conflicting answers

Some people tell me its better to have a post-workout meal, whiles others say a liquid meal like Vitargo w/ whey isolate is the best
    when i diet down i always just has BCAA's post worokout but when i bulk i usually have BCAA's intra and whey with fast-acting carbs afterwards.

So if i could get a clear answer on that id apprechiate it.

Thanks a lot for taking time out to read this

Nobody

Hey Alex, saw you on the beginners forum and hope you can help.

I'm on a cut at the moment and need advice with diet and help with supplements.

Diet

Morning - 2 Eggs scrambled, 1 slice wholemeal brown bread
    Snack - Protein shake
    Pre workout - DY NOXPUMP
    Post workout - Protein Shake
    Lunch - Bowl of salad with chicken
    Snack - Hand full of almonds
    Dinner - 1/4 plate of carrots, 1/4 plate of broccoli, 1/2 chicken breasts or steak
    Snack - fruit, protein shake

Only have one cheat day per week and thats just adding carbs with all meals

What are your views on that diet ?

Could you recommend a really good whey protein shake low in carbs, fat and added BCAA

Thanks in advance

Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 206061626364656667686970717273 LastLast