Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gymnation's Transformation Blog

Default Gymnation's Transformation Blog

Hi everyone. I'm starting this thread to try to chronicle this adventure. I'll check in as time permits
    First of all the dieting is going great. I haven't felt the desire to 'cheat' yet; in fact, if anything it's hard to get all of the eating done. I can't wait to get my MHP supplements - I've been making due with some other basic whey powder. I asked Santa for some Dren, but...

My training is going well, though I started up again so out of condition that I'm still amping it up. I love the split that Dave gave us - it is very logical and easy to follow. Training hard has always been enjoyable to me, so as soon as I'm at full speed, I'll be balls-to-the-wall (my wife will roll her eyes when she reads that expression).

I am also now training back at my favorite gym, Flex Gym of Colorado. A few days ago, I emailed the gym about the challenge. I explained that I really couldn't afford a membership at present. I told them that I would hate to have to train at 24 Fitness (our membership there is nearly free, yet still not worth half the price). The owner, Mark, answered me the next day. He told me that Flex would sponsor me for the duration of the challenge - amazing! If you are ever in the Denver area, train at Flex in Lakewood. It's the best little gym in the world! http://www.flexgymofcolorado.com/

I am on such a high right now - I am going to do this for my wife and for myself, but also for all those are voicing and showing their support. Never give up!

Legs today. Ouch! I literally haven't squatted in years (I did leg press and hacks last week), so I guess 225 x 6 (deep) on my heavy set is decent considering - but still a little embarrassing for me. I also know I'm gonna pay tomorrow!
    It's funny, the only body parts that really held any strength are back, triceps and delts. I can still barbell row 225 for 10 reps quite easily with good form, and my seated pressing strength is fairly good. But nearly everything else is back to school time for me! My gym is being great to me - the trainers have all asked me about the challenge and offered encouragement and advice (do they give the wrong "advices"?). Flex in Lakewood is the bomb!!!! I still can't believe I have a sponsor!!
    My diet is going well, though I took a cheat meal on Christmas Eve, and I probably overdid it a bit (one meal only, but what a meal!). Sorry Dave, but I'm back on track now.
    I'll admit to having to really work at the 45 minutes of cardio - I am really de-conditioned right now! But I'm hanging in there. I know it'll come back fast. Thankfully, I have a good recumbent bike at home, and I'm also using the treadmills at the gym. When my wife is done with radiation in January, she plans to join me in the gym every day. She is so positive. She never complains about her condition, or any of her treatments; never feels sorry for herself. She is really an inspiration for me. If she can go through so much without complaining, I can do this. And I will.

Whew! I Just posted my week 1 pics. I had lost the USB cable to my digital camera on Christmas Eve, so they were delayed.
    Taking and posting those pics is really tough for me. I just hate the way I look right now - I guess know it's weekly is great incentive to stay on track, but it is absolutely painful for me. I mean there was honestly a time in my life when I had good vascularity; ON MY ABS! Now I look like I don't lift anything heavier than a fork....I will succeed. I will never give up!

I am sooo sore! I will use Dave's arm training philosophy from now on. I have always had a hard time getting my biceps to work hard. I bought into heavy bb curls; heavy everything. And I invariably felt the work everywhere except my biceps. It is abundantly clear to me that focusing on one arm at a time, and making a lighter weight FEEL heavy is the way to go. Besides, I'm no spring chicken anymore and I have to start considering my joints as something other than indestructible.

Tonight is my cheat meal, and we going to Outback Steakhouse for a New Year's Eve treat. Bloomin' Onion and Prime Rib here I come!! I was going to have dessert tonight, but I really no longer crave sweets.

I am realistic about this challenge; I won't be ripped after 16 weeks - not from my starting point. But I am also quite confident that I will change pretty dramatically. I am working and dieting too hard not to. Most of the weight I've lost so far has seemed to fall off of my hips. I am wearing a pair of jeans today that used to be pretty tight around my hips, and they are now trying head south on me.
    My wife claims she can really see the difference, but I can mainly feel the difference. My mood and outlook are so much better. I know I am going to get this done!
    "He that can have patience can have what he will." -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by gymnation View Post
    I am sooo sore! I will use Dave's arm training philosophy from now on. I have always had a hard time getting my biceps to work hard. I bought into heavy bb curls; heavy everything. And I invariably felt the work everywhere except my biceps. It is abundantly clear to me that focusing on one arm at a time, and making a lighter weight FEEL heavy is the way to go. Besides, I'm no spring chicken anymore and I have to start considering my joints as something other than indestructible.

Tonight is my cheat meal, and we going to Outback Steakhouse for a New Year's Eve treat. Bloomin' Onion and Prime Rib here I come!! I was going to have dessert tonight, but I really no longer crave sweets.

I am realistic about this challenge; I won't be ripped after 16 weeks - not from my starting point. But I am also quite confident that I will change pretty dramatically. I am working and dieting too hard not to. Most of the weight I've lost so far has seemed to fall off of my hips. I am wearing a pair of jeans today that used to be pretty tight around my hips, and they are now trying head south on me.
    My wife claims she can really see the difference, but I can mainly feel the difference. My mood and outlook are so much better. I know I am going to get this done!
    Awesome, Jim, totally awesome! I agree with you. To get from where we are to be in such shape that we're showing an ab or two would probably take back-to-back Transformation Challenges...32 weeks. But I share your mindset that we are going to get every bit of benefit out of this Challenge as we can. KEEP IT UP!!! Your motivation motivates me!

I'll be having my cheat meal tonight also. It won't be as classy as The Outback. I'll be doing BK. But to me, I'm more interested in quantity over quality. But seriously, here's the amazing part about it: I don't even feel like I need this cheat meal. I may need it because it's beneficial to the diet to cheat once a week, but I don't need it in the sense that I'm craving a cheat meal. Thats the strange (and wonderful) thing about Dave's diet. I could keep truckin' along without a cheat meal and it really wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

Thanks for the update, Jim! BTW, have you received your supps yet? I figured it might take a day or so longer to get yours since you're in CO, but surely you've received them by now, haven't you?

Quote Originally Posted by loomster2000 View Post
    Awesome, Jim, totally awesome! I agree with you. To get from where we are to be in such shape that we're showing an ab or two would probably take back-to-back Transformation Challenges...32 weeks. But I share your mindset that we are going to get every bit of benefit out of this Challenge as we can. KEEP IT UP!!! Your motivation motivates me!

I'll be having my cheat meal tonight also. It won't be as classy as The Outback. I'll be doing BK. But to me, I'm more interested in quantity over quality. But seriously, here's the amazing part about it: I don't even feel like I need this cheat meal. I may need it because it's beneficial to the diet to cheat once a week, but I don't need it in the sense that I'm craving a cheat meal. Thats the strange (and wonderful) thing about Dave's diet. I could keep truckin' along without a cheat meal and it really wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

Thanks for the update, Jim! BTW, have you received your supps yet? I figured it might take a day or so longer to get yours since you're in CO, but surely you've received them by now, haven't you?
    No Supps yet I'm almost out of my own protein powder - I may have to do all solid food tomorrow, which would be tough.
    Outback was courtesy a much appreciated gift certificate we got for Christmas - otherwise I might have been noshing on a Whopper or two myself last night. Quantity was no problem, BTW
    I don't crave the same stuff, that's for sure. The only slight cravings I have are for things like sour cream and guacamole(?).
    We're kickin' butt Loomster! The new year awaits!!!

The supplements came today!!! Woohoo! THANK YOU MHP!!!!!!
    My delt workout was great today. The weights were really moving, and I was able to generate some genuine intensity (ouch!). Calves were also wonderfully painful . I can really feel my body composition starting to change now. I still have a big belly (I think there are abs under there somewhere!?!), but my muscles are starting to feel harder and rounder. My clothes are fitting differently too. I am gaining a little confidence now (though I still hate to take the weekly photos!).
    Unfortunately, my wife's radiation treatments have done a number on her recently, but she is done after next week and therefore quite upbeat despite not feeling her best. As always, she is my hero and inspiration.

Partial re-post from Inspirational Transformation thread:

I just got back from training legs. It was a great workout except (embarrassed): I didn't give enough thought to the shorts I wore. They were hiking down my ass! By the 7th rep of my heavy set, they were down to the deep south of my butt! Not a pretty sight ! Luckily, Flex Gym has a separate leg training room and no one was around to laugh at me! Amazingly, I finished my set with pretty good form before my shorts were around my ankles...I pulled 'em up and finished my leg workout. I won't make that mistake again!
    I have noticed that I have a little harder time with squatting balance and 'feel' since I did them years ago. I think my much larger midsection is mostly to blame. I'm also older than I used to be, obviously, but my strength doesn't seem to be an issue.
    I tried to go a little too heavy on Hammer Seated Leg curls - only got 5 reps on my heavy set. But I really hit it hard on Standing Leg Curls - my legs are jello!
    Speaking of jello (bad transition here), today is my new cheat meal day. I will be hitting a fast food joint (or two) tonight. As Loomster has said, cravings on this diet aren't really bad. But in thinking about ramping up my metabolism, I have created a fantasy or two in my mind involving extra cheese and/or BBQ sauce!
    I'm feeling good about the weight loss, and my strength. I just want that midsection down around semi-athletic territory again. Oh well, it will happen-and more! I will never give up!

But in thinking about ramping up my metabolism, I have created a fantasy or two in my mind involving extra cheese and/or BBQ sauce!
    Mmmm...now that's what I'm talkin' about! Don't forget to through some sweets into that fantasy mix!!!

Today was chest day - I trained legs yesterday, but I'm making up for a missed day, so the split is a little, shall we say, funky this week...
    The workout was great. I was up in weight and/or reps in all exercises. The weekly pics have pointed out that my chest is really sub-par right now. I'm hoping that as my bodyfat goes down, my chest will look a little better.

I'm not expecting as much weight loss this week. I'm not weighing every day - only when I take pics. But I just don't feel it as much as last week. No real changes, other than the addition of the MHP supplements. Maybe the creatine is making me feel fuller?

Anyway, training and diet are going great, and I continue to feel optimistic. My birthday is coming up in February, and it would be great to be around 220-230 for my 45th (God, I'm old!).

I hope everyone else is doing well; we're all in this boat together, so keep rowing!

Sorry I haven't posted any specific info in a while. My wife has been having a few problems with her radiation, and my company just got a new CEO and new majority ownership. So my stress levels have been a little high this week.
    Training and diet are going well. I was a little disappointed with my weight loss this week, but both Mr G and my wife have helped put it in perspective. My wife says (she swears she's being objective) that I've put on new muscle recently, and thus off-set my total weight loss. And Mr G is of course correct, that fat loss within a week is very limited. I was probably shedding some water before due to the lack of glycogen in my body.
    Anyway, I'm trying to really kick up the cardio. I probably won't go to 2 hours yet like Van, but I will try to kick it up a bit.

Sorry I haven't posted any specific info in a while. My wife has been having a few problems with her radiation, and my company just got a new CEO and new majority ownership. So my stress levels have been a little high this week.
    Training and diet are going well. I was a little disappointed with my weight loss this week, but both Mr G and my wife have helped put it in perspective. My wife says (she swears she's being objective) that I've put on new muscle recently, and thus off-set my total weight loss. And Mr G is of course correct, that fat loss within a week is very limited. I was probably shedding some water before due to the lack of glycogen in my body.
    Anyway, I'm trying to really kick up the cardio. I probably won't go to 2 hours yet like Van, but I will try to kick it up a bit.
    Whoa, Jim. I'm not doing 2 hours every day, just on my off-days (Day 3 & Day 7). I would like to be able to knock out 2 hours a day, but I just can't do it at this point.

And I agree with your wife, Jim. Your most recent progress pics look really good. I can tell definite changes. Forget what the scale says (that's what I'm trying to do). There are so many variable factors that determine that number that pops up on the scale. E.g., how much fluid are you holding? Do you have dense food from the evening before you are still digesting? Do you need to take a dump? Has it been stressful lately? All of these will affect the number that pops up on the scale...and yet despite the unreliability of that number, it still has the power to ruin our day. Forget about it! Focus on this: You're looking better and better every week. Stay the course (and I will too)!

Quote Originally Posted by loomster2000 View Post
    Whoa, Jim. I'm not doing 2 hours every day, just on my off-days (Day 3 & Day 7). I would like to be able to knock out 2 hours a day, but I just can't do it at this point.

And I agree with your wife, Jim. Your most recent progress pics look really good. I can tell definite changes. Forget what the scale says (that's what I'm trying to do). There are so many variable factors that determine that number that pops up on the scale. E.g., how much fluid are you holding? Do you have dense food from the evening before you are still digesting? Do you need to take a dump? Has it been stressful lately? All of these will affect the number that pops up on the scale...and yet despite the unreliability of that number, it still has the power to ruin our day. Forget about it! Focus on this: You're looking better and better every week. Stay the course (and I will too)!
    Thanks for the encouragement Van. I agree with the notion that this is not a linear process; some weeks will definitely be better than others. I actually wish we could NOT weigh in every week. I try not to weigh in for the rest of the week so that I'm not overly focused on weight. I need to learn to let the diet and workouts take effect, and essentially forget about weight. After all, we are on a BODYBUILDING forum. And next week, I'll take that dump before I take pics ...

My delt workout was outstanding. I went up in strength - a bit too much maybe. I was using the Hammer behind-the-neck press with two 45 plates on each side (I count this as 180 since I don't count the weight of the machine) on my 'heavy set. I got 14 reps! I wasn't expecting to be that strong on this particular movement, and I was using very slow and strict reps. I will definitely have to up the weight next time! I had a similar increase in strength on my one arm cable laterals. This is great considering all the cardio. I am very encouraged that I will actually be able to build some muscle in the next few months, on top of the fat loss.
    Dave's diet is still outstanding. I did have a little problem with some nausea during my meal number 3. I may have spiced my food too much for variety's sake. I certainly will avoid that in the future.
    My wife's radiation treatments are ending on Monday. This will make my schedule much more manageable. More importantly, she can allow some of her burnt skin to heal and allow herself more 'me' time. Remember to make sure the important women in your lives are having regular mammograms and doing regular self-checks! I don't like to preach, but this is no picnic, and the earlier it's caught the easier the treatment options.
    Thanks again to Dave, Mr G, MHP, Steve Blechman and the other challenger-takers. This continues to be a great experience, and one that will truly change lives.

My delt workout was outstanding. I went up in strength - a bit too much maybe. I was using the Hammer behind-the-neck press with two 45 plates on each side (I count this as 180 since I don't count the weight of the machine) on my 'heavy set. I got 14 reps! I wasn't expecting to be that strong on this particular movement, and I was using very slow and strict reps. I will definitely have to up the weight next time! I had a similar increase in strength on my one arm cable laterals. This is great considering all the cardio. I am very encouraged that I will actually be able to build some muscle in the next few months, on top of the fat loss.
    Dave's diet is still outstanding. I did have a little problem with some nausea during my meal number 3. I may have spiced my food too much for variety's sake. I certainly will avoid that in the future.
    My wife's radiation treatments are ending on Monday. This will make my schedule much more manageable. More importantly, she can allow some of her burnt skin to heal and allow herself more 'me' time. Remember to make sure the important women in your lives are having regular mammograms and doing regular self-checks! I don't like to preach, but this is no picnic, and the earlier it's caught the easier the treatment options.
    Thanks again to Dave, Mr G, MHP, Steve Blechman and the other challenger-takers. This continues to be a great experience, and one that will truly change lives.
    Jim, it sounds like you are making great gains (and losses!). Keep up the good work, brother! And thanks for the encouragement in regard to our "important women" in our lives. Please pass on to your wife that my prayers are with her. I'm glad her radiation treatments are concluding and life can begin to get back to normal (if there is such a thing as "normal"). Keep on keepin' on, BIG GYM NATION!!!

I dont think i can add anything else to looms post above brother.

Your a brave soul for viewing problems as challenges, i truely believe that through our good actions we can change our Karma for the better (blue print) and your just doing that, i also believe in collective karma thus you have taken on your wifes hardships and battling them out for her.

May God (or what ever you believe in) give you that eternal strength to keep trucking.

Your brother

Pan

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    I dont think i can add anything else to looms post above brother.

Your a brave soul for viewing problems as challenges, i truely believe that through our good actions we can change our Karma for the better (blue print) and your just doing that, i also believe in collective karma thus you have taken on your wifes hardships and battling them out for her.

May God (or what ever you believe in) give you that eternal strength to keep trucking.

Your brother

Pan
    Thanks Pan. I think I do believe in Karma, or in some form of it. Trust me, my wife is a GREAT human-being, and this trial will somehow be balanced out for her - I have to believe that. It is also apparent that you and Van are exceptional people, and as always, I wish you both the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast