Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HRT: Basics on hormone replacement therapy

Wide variability in laboratory reference values for serum testosterone.

- Lazarou S - J Sex Med - 01-NOV-2006; 3(6): 1085-9 (MEDLINE is the source for the citation and abstract of this record )

Abstract:

INTRODUCTION: The laboratory determination of testosterone levels consistent with a diagnosis of hypogonadism is complicated by the availability of multiple testosterone assays and varying reference ranges. AIM: To assess current laboratory practices regarding availability of testosterone assays and use of reference values. METHODS: A telephone survey of 12 academic, 12 community medical laboratories, and one national laboratory. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES. Types of androgen assays offered and determination of reference values. RESULTS. All of the academic and eight of the community centers performed total testosterone testing. Free testosterone was performed in-house by six of the 12 academic and one community center. Testing for bioavailable testosterone, free androgen index, and percent free testosterone was performed in-house by no more than two centers. There were eight and four different assays used for total and free testosterone, respectively. One national laboratory offered equilibrium dialysis measurement of free testosterone. Of the 25 labs, there were 17 and 13 different sets of reference values for total and free testosterone, respectively. The low reference value for total testosterone ranged from 130 to 450 ng/dL (350% difference), and the upper value ranged from 486 to 1,593 ng/dL (325% difference). Age-adjusted reference values were applied in four centers for total testosterone and in seven labs for free testosterone. All reference values were based on a standard statistical model without regard for clinical aspects of hypogonadism. Twenty-three of the 25 lab directors responded that clinically relevant testosterone reference ranges would be preferable to current standards. CONCLUSIONS. Laboratory reference values for testosterone vary widely, and are established without clinical considerations.

Citation:

Wide variability in laboratory reference values for serum testosterone.
    Lazarou S - J Sex Med - 01-NOV-2006; 3(6): 1085-9
    MEDLINE is the source for the citation and abstract of this record
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Quote Originally Posted by gungho9 View Post
    The Dangers of Exogenous (external and synthetic)
    Testosterone Replacement Therapy

One of the most undesirable side effects of exogenous testosterone replacement therapy is the shrinkage of the male genitals, the penile and testes. The medical term for the condition is "testicular atrophy". With prolonged usage, your penis will shrink to the size of your little finger.

Now imagine this. You get a high sex drive with the testosterone replacement therapy, yes, but your erected penis is the size of your thumb. Not a very good scenario, isn't it?

As a matter of fact, the renown Mayo Clinic lists the following side effects with exogenous (external and synthetic) testosterone replacement therapy:

* Cause skin reactions
    * Cause fluid retention
    * Cause baldness
    * Cause or aggravate sleep apnea (brief, repeated cessation of breathing during sleep)
    * Stimulate non cancerous (benign) growth of the prostate and cause or worsen urinary symptoms
    * Stimulate growth of prostate cancer that's already present
    * Enlarge breasts (Gynecomastia)
    * Stimulate growth of breast cancer that's already present
    * Cause testicle shrinkage (Testicular atrophy)
    * Limit sperm production (Infertility)
    * Stimulate excess blood production (Polycythemia)

I'm sure you agree with me. Its not pretty. However the number of prescriptions of testosterone replacement therapy has increase over the years. And the primary reason is I believe the lack of emphasis by doctors and pharmaceutical companies on the negative side effects of the treatment.

uh.....
    "Feel ill as fuck - not sure if it is protein powder or tren?"-bigdog123

When usin androgel, how long after applying should one worry about maybe sweating it off or washin it off in the shower? Says wait 5-6 hours, but I'm OCD as hell and feel that isn't long enough...anyone know anything about this?
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    When usin androgel, how long after applying should one worry about maybe sweating it off or washin it off in the shower? Says wait 5-6 hours, but I'm OCD as hell and feel that isn't long enough...anyone know anything about this?
    5-6 hours is PLENTY
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

alright, thanx for the response man.
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

My question is i just started test /b12 shots 1 cc a week ..from my understanding I was thinkn that after my test return to normal I would be taken off TRT ...and live normal .. So does everyone take TRT forever or does it rstore you back and you can not have to take shots and stuff forever ..?

How do people on AAS for a short time do it and not have to continue and their test return to normal ?

Also I used a PH that most likely jacked me up so once my test levels return to normal can I get off ...I guess what I saying is what's the process of going forward without TRT once ur back normal

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniecokeman View Post
    My question is i just started test /b12 shots 1 cc a week ..from my understanding I was thinkn that after my test return to normal I would be taken off TRT ...and live normal .. So does everyone take TRT forever or does it rstore you back and you can not have to take shots and stuff forever ..?

How do people on AAS for a short time do it and not have to continue and their test return to normal ?

Also I used a PH that most likely jacked me up so once my test levels return to normal can I get off ...I guess what I saying is what's the process of going forward without TRT once ur back normal

If you've been put on TRT by your doctor, chances are you won't ever be coming off of it.
    Posts may contain false information, and are for entertainment only. Always seek professional medical advice.

Default Blood test for testosterone.

Excellent article in the latest issue of the mag. Life Extension. The "free testosterone" test is a much more accurate way of measuring your testosterone level than total test. A lot of circulating testosterone is bound up to SHBG, and free test. is the "available for use" testosterone that is circulating in the blood. They tested many of their members and the majority had low test. levels.

Hi IM new here and trying to catch up. IM 51 and weigh about 300 lbs. in college I weighed 230 and had little body fat. My doctor has me on 100 mg test per week for HRT. My original tests were 160 for4 testosterone. Its been 1.5 years and IM just finding out the doctor may not have much of a clue other than testosterone. My question is should I be taking arimidex also? what dosage and how often? I was reading .25 mg was all I needed per day. IS that right? DO I cycle off it ever? Also should I include HCG to bring my nuts back up in size? (they were lime size, now just less than 1" diameter.) How should I include that in my weekly injection cycle? Do I ever come off that? Do I need to cycle the testosterone therapy from time to time also? Im sure answers will bring more questions from me, and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Forum Leader: Member Training Journals, Training The Joker's Avatar

If you are using Androgel or Testim, do you need to take or do something about estrogen?
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Gels can be absorbed through the over a long period of time something like 12 hours.
    Most people shower often though and because of this absorption rates are based upon only having it available for a few hours.
    This means that most people will be expected to wash some or all of it off within a few hours.
    I use a 10% cream every day and use this as my main HRT dose.
    Usually I will apply a little in the morning when I wake up. Like 50mg or 1/2 gram
    Then I shower a couple hours later and over the course of 2 hours or so Ill apply 150-200mg more.
    My total T was 1400ish using only transdermal test.

Quote Originally Posted by gissim0 View Post
    Hi IM new here and trying to catch up. IM 51 and weigh about 300 lbs. in college I weighed 230 and had little body fat. My doctor has me on 100 mg test per week for HRT. My original tests were 160 for4 testosterone. Its been 1.5 years and IM just finding out the doctor may not have much of a clue other than testosterone. My question is should I be taking arimidex also? what dosage and how often? I was reading .25 mg was all I needed per day. IS that right? DO I cycle off it ever? Also should I include HCG to bring my nuts back up in size? (they were lime size, now just less than 1" diameter.) How should I include that in my weekly injection cycle? Do I ever come off that? Do I need to cycle the testosterone therapy from time to time also? Im sure answers will bring more questions from me, and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    You should probably double your dose. 100mg 2x weekly
    I would also use HCG if you can get it.
    At 100mg weekly you do not need an AI unless your bloodwork says estro is too high.
    You can always run an AI at low dosage to try to trick your body into making some of its own test.
    Just be sure to get bloodwork to ensure it doesnt get too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    If you are using Androgel or Testim, do you need to take or do something about estrogen?
    If you are using androgel or testim your estrogen levels are probably not all that high.....I doubt your test levels are high either.
    If I recall androgel is like 1% and even at 5g daily your only getting 50mg daily.....your not going to absorb all of that...peobably not even 50% so assume youll get maybe 20mg daily..

You probably do not need an AI to control high estro.
    Lowering your estrogen might help raise endogenous test though so Its not bad to include it if you have it.
    Just get bloodwork to be sure it doesnt get too low.

Nobody

I am in SE Pennsylvania and looking for a good HRT Doc. I did a little research and did see Eugene Shippen in Reading as a possible option. I know of the Metabolic Doc (Tom O' Connor) in CT but, as good as he looks, that seems a bit far. At 43 and showing some signs of lower testosterone, I think I could benefit from the HRT. If it is just to get back to normal levels that would be helpful but somewhat disappointing. However, I am more interested in obtaining optimal levels, with out taking far reaching risk. If anyone has a name they would recommend, please throw it out there. I would also be interested in the cost as well. I just complete my first pro hormone cycle (HDrol 50 mg/day for 4 weeks, now running a PCT) and did see some solid improvements (loss some fat and increased weight from 220 to 230). I am not loaded with cash but not broke either so I thought I would research a medical HRT program as an alternative. I have three young kids so a Dr. prescribed and monitored program would bring me a bit more comfort

Nobody

Hey, I'm almost 65 years old and want to know what people think about this cycle. I am mesomorph, 5-8, 170, not genetically gifted for muscle. Will this cycle be enough to buff me up to +/- 180 if I train hard and eat right?
    CYCLE: 16 weeks of 3/4 ml testosterone cypionate per week.
    One week off.
    4 weeks of 1 ml HCG at three times a week.
    Off for a week.
    Back on 16 week tes cycle.

Saint Michael

What mg/ml is the cypionate?
    I assume its the Paddock cyp 200mg?

Nobody

Question HPTA

Hi guys,
    i'm trying to read up TRT and find it very interesting but What does HPTA mean ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast