Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beginners common questions

Dedicated Noob

How many meals do I eat in a day ?? how do I space them out ?? I have heard tha the professional body builders have 6 meals a day.

Hey guys! I just had a quick question for anybody that could help me. I'm a Diabetic and have been training for close to two years now. I've been looking for some good supplements that would work for me and am currently thinking about trying out Nutrex's Mass xplosion. Is this product even worth my time? also, has anybody tried Anabolic pump? if so, does it work like the ads says it does? thanks!

i'm in the same boat being diabetic, but i've only been lifting for about a year. Only supps I've found very helpful are whey protein, and creatine as well as a fat burner for the morning workouts. Most other things seem to have too much sugar in them for me. Also, i'll sometimes cycle my diet to be low carb for a month or two and that seems to cut back on the fat gaining as i'm lifting for strength.

Yeah, So far I've only tried a couple fat burners and Whey protein. The only problem with fat burners for me is I have a low tolerance for caffeine. Otherwise, I was thinking of trying some creatine but I've heard good and bad things about it. Right now I'm holding about 10% bodyfat at 195 lbs. My goal is to get up to 205-210 with only about 8-9% bodyfat. But it's hard being natural and putting on good size without gaining too much excess weight. That's not a bad idea going low carb for a month or so. I usually just keep my diet clean, usually only eating about 100-120 carbs a day. If I start cutting my carbs for too long I lose strength which sucks. what kinda training split are you doing?

Nobody

GREAT INFO!!! I just made my Hopefully life changing decision to lift yesterday and was/still am looking as to how I will go about doing it.. My first misconception that you cleared up was the weight gainer mix I just bought from GNC... guess Il be taking that back before I break the seal...lol I hope to become very active in the forum, hopefully learning everything I should as I know absolutely nothing about gaining weight or lifting in that matter. If anyone has any help/tips etc... please do not hesitate to contact me.

I think you got the bascis down

I just found this thread. I need to bookmark the URL for this post and give it to all my online buddies who constantly ask me these very questions. You train to compete in one bodybuilding contest and suddenly all your friends think you are the expert....LOL.

Nobody

wow i agree with all that i see, one question what about the programme for the mesomorph person, i'm 5'10, 268lbs and looking to cut down especially this belly, workout bout 4times a week and eat alot of boil food.

Do fiber carbs count?

Great post and Great community!

I am fairly noob and have questions:
    1) What is a barbell press? I searched google and there are many variations of this. which one?
    2)Barbell vs Dumbell any thoughts? Could these exercises be one or it's equivalent other?

Default Protein

I weigh 227lbs at 6'2". What should I be doing for my meal plan? I dont really need to put on bulk, I want to put on some more mass but I really want to cut, what should I do?

Good stuff man

Spotter

so would this meal plan still be ideal for someone trying to loose the weight? Would it just be a factor of increasing the cardio to balance things out?

wow the original post sorta hit home. a little hard. btw, weight gainer drinks dont work for me. all they do is add belly fat.

Beach Body

Quote Originally Posted by scoobie snack View Post
    wow the original post sorta hit home. a little hard. btw, weight gainer drinks dont work for me. all they do is add belly fat.
    Actually, weight gainer drinks do not make you gain belly fat. The overall layout of your calories and what you are eating regularly is.

I use a weight gainer and it works perfect, mainly because I already know what I will eat for the entire day. The gainer's only purpose is to make sure that I get all that I need, or to bump up the calories a notch to start new growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Schneider Fernandes View Post
    How many meals do I eat in a day ?? how do I space them out ?? I have heard tha the professional body builders have 6 meals a day.
    at least 6 meals per day

Great article Tim!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Bodybuilding for Beginners Part 1
    By Tim Wescott

If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
    2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
    3.Start off slowly.
    4.Stick to the basics.
    5.Commit to your program.
    6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
    7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)

Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run.

Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound. If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle.
    Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
    overnight with very little effort.

You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods.

There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
    2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
    3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

We'll start with the Ectomorph.

Day #1
    Upper body: Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS--Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
    Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
    Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
    Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

Lowerbody:
    Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
    Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
    Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

And that's it.

The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1 - 6.

Ready?

Here goes :
    Meal # 1:
    4 whole eggs
    2 slices wholegrain toast
    1 banana
    8oz. fat free milk.

Meal # 2:
    1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
    1 green salad with low-fat,low-sugar dressing
    1 orange
    8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 3:
    Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
    2 whole eggs 1 scoop of ice cream
    1 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal# 4:
    Steak, chicken, or fish
    1 baked potato
    1 cup fibrous vegetables
    8 oz. fat free milk.

Meal# 5:
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup veggies
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

Meal # 6:
    Another protein shake
    1 Tbsp. natty Peanut butter

That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount.

Your workouts will be as follows:

Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs., lowerbody on Tues. and Fri. Rest on the
    other three days,keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time. Also Get As Much Goog SOUND Sleep As You Can to aid in recovery.

Drink a minimum of a at least a gallon of water every day.

Now on to the Endomorph:

I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine.

IOnward to our Mesomorphic friends:

Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes. If this seems like a lot of work it is but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

The diet:
    Meal # 1:
    7 egg whites cooked in non-fat cooking spray
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk)
    water

Meal # 2:
    Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

Meal # 3:
    1 can of tuna
    1 plain baked potato
    1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar
    water

Meal # 4.:
    5 oz. chicken breast (no skin)
    1/2 cup brown rice ( I recommend Success Boil In Bag )
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    water

Meal # 5:
    1 can tuna
    Large green salad with vinegar
    water

Meal #6:
    Protein shake in water
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

That's it.

Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

1-Eat your food slowly,
    2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
    3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types............let's get to the Don'ts first:
    Don't eat junk
    Don't forget water
    Don't miss workouts
    Don't deviate from this routine
    Don't slack off.

Now for the Do's:
    Do train hard
    Do be consistent
    Do stick to your your diet
    Do add weight to the bar when possible
    Do use good form

Oh yeah and I forgot one more don't: