Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 98

Thread: Beginners common questions

  1. #52
    Spotter S x S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Thank you very much, you really helped

  2. #53

    Default quick question

    i just started this program. just curious how long should i stick to it? 6 months or so. and when i switch it up should i go to a more regular workout like 3 sets per bodypart routine?? thanks

  3. #54
    Amateur Threat knillmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Ice cream and eggs?

  4. #55

    Default

    I just had a quick question about the cardio, I'm a manager at a retail store and I do a shit ton of walking each day, nothing to strenuous, could I consider that my cardio for the day?

  5. #56
    Spotter Aditya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Yogyakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    137

    Default

    ^^^
    do you constantly walk?
    does the walking elevate your heart rate to about 65%MHR for at least 30 minutes?
    if it doesn't, i don't think you can consider it cardio.

  6. #57
    Team MD Del Toro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,850
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jester View Post
    I just had a quick question about the cardio, I'm a manager at a retail store and I do a shit ton of walking each day, nothing to strenuous, could I consider that my cardio for the day?
    Yeah a friend of mine goes up and down ladders all day and workout but are still fat so they need to do an actual cardio session.

    Some people need less cardio than others too


    http://www.myspace.com/physiqueseminar
    Dream big and work hard!

  7. #58
    Nobody
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1

    Default

    You all have given really great advice here...I have been working out for about 6 years and have seen pretty good results. This summer my friends have decided to jump on the exercise wagon and want me to drive. I know what works for me, but am not sure if I can "train" them. With that said, I woud like to get some sort of trainng certification. Any suggestions as to the best???

  8. #59
    Nobody
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    wales uk
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Bodybuilding for Beginners Part 1
    By Tim Wescott

    If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

    1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
    2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
    3.Start off slowly.
    4.Stick to the basics.
    5.Commit to your program.
    6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
    7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)


    Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run.

    Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound. If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle.
    Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
    overnight with very little effort.

    You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods.

    There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

    Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

    1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
    2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
    3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

    We'll start with the Ectomorph.

    Day #1
    Upper body: Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS--Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
    Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
    Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
    Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

    Lowerbody:
    Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
    Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
    Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

    And that's it.


    The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

    Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

    We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1 - 6.

    Ready?

    Here goes :
    Meal # 1:
    4 whole eggs
    2 slices wholegrain toast
    1 banana
    8oz. fat free milk.

    Meal # 2:
    1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
    1 green salad with low-fat,low-sugar dressing
    1 orange
    8 oz. fat free milk

    Meal # 3:
    Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
    2 whole eggs 1 scoop of ice cream
    1 tbsp. peanut butter

    Meal# 4:
    Steak, chicken, or fish
    1 baked potato
    1 cup fibrous vegetables
    8 oz. fat free milk.


    Meal# 5:
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup veggies
    1 Tbsp. olive oil


    Meal # 6:
    Another protein shake
    1 Tbsp. natty Peanut butter

    That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount.

    Your workouts will be as follows:

    Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs., lowerbody on Tues. and Fri. Rest on the
    other three days,keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

    If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time. Also Get As Much Goog SOUND Sleep As You Can to aid in recovery.

    Drink a minimum of a at least a gallon of water every day.

    Now on to the Endomorph:

    I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine.

    IOnward to our Mesomorphic friends:

    Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

    I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes. If this seems like a lot of work it is but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

    The diet:
    Meal # 1:
    7 egg whites cooked in non-fat cooking spray
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk)
    water

    Meal # 2:
    Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

    Meal # 3:
    1 can of tuna
    1 plain baked potato
    1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar
    water

    Meal # 4.:
    5 oz. chicken breast (no skin)
    1/2 cup brown rice ( I recommend Success Boil In Bag )
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    water

    Meal # 5:
    1 can tuna
    Large green salad with vinegar
    water

    Meal #6:
    Protein shake in water
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

    That's it.

    Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

    1-Eat your food slowly,
    2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
    3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

    Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types............let's get to the Don'ts first:
    Don't eat junk
    Don't forget water
    Don't miss workouts
    Don't deviate from this routine
    Don't slack off.

    Now for the Do's:
    Do train hard
    Do be consistent
    Do stick to your your diet
    Do add weight to the bar when possible
    Do use good form

    Oh yeah and I forgot one more don't:

    DON'T QUIT!!!!!
    that is great advice tim i just started training and your advice is really helpful!!

  9. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timski View Post
    Bodybuilding for Beginners Part 1
    By Tim Wescott

    If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

    1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
    2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
    3.Start off slowly.
    4.Stick to the basics.
    5.Commit to your program.
    6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
    7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)


    Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run.

    Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound. If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle.
    Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
    overnight with very little effort.

    You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods.

    There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

    Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

    1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
    2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
    3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

    We'll start with the Ectomorph.

    Day #1
    Upper body: Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS--Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
    Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
    Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
    Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

    Lowerbody:
    Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
    Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
    Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

    And that's it.


    The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

    Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

    We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1 - 6.

    Ready?

    Here goes :
    Meal # 1:
    4 whole eggs
    2 slices wholegrain toast
    1 banana
    8oz. fat free milk.

    Meal # 2:
    1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
    1 green salad with low-fat,low-sugar dressing
    1 orange
    8 oz. fat free milk

    Meal # 3:
    Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
    2 whole eggs 1 scoop of ice cream
    1 tbsp. peanut butter

    Meal# 4:
    Steak, chicken, or fish
    1 baked potato
    1 cup fibrous vegetables
    8 oz. fat free milk.


    Meal# 5:
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup veggies
    1 Tbsp. olive oil


    Meal # 6:
    Another protein shake
    1 Tbsp. natty Peanut butter

    That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount.

    Your workouts will be as follows:

    Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs., lowerbody on Tues. and Fri. Rest on the
    other three days,keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

    If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time. Also Get As Much Goog SOUND Sleep As You Can to aid in recovery.

    Drink a minimum of a at least a gallon of water every day.

    Now on to the Endomorph:

    I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine.

    IOnward to our Mesomorphic friends:

    Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

    I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes. If this seems like a lot of work it is but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

    The diet:
    Meal # 1:
    7 egg whites cooked in non-fat cooking spray
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk)
    water

    Meal # 2:
    Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

    Meal # 3:
    1 can of tuna
    1 plain baked potato
    1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar
    water

    Meal # 4.:
    5 oz. chicken breast (no skin)
    1/2 cup brown rice ( I recommend Success Boil In Bag )
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    water

    Meal # 5:
    1 can tuna
    Large green salad with vinegar
    water

    Meal #6:
    Protein shake in water
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

    That's it.

    Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

    1-Eat your food slowly,
    2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
    3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

    Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types............let's get to the Don'ts first:
    Don't eat junk
    Don't forget water
    Don't miss workouts
    Don't deviate from this routine
    Don't slack off.

    Now for the Do's:
    Do train hard
    Do be consistent
    Do stick to your your diet
    Do add weight to the bar when possible
    Do use good form

    Oh yeah and I forgot one more don't:

    DON'T QUIT!!!!!
    Let me just start off by saying hello to all because im a newbie on this forum and i love it already,i read what tim has wrote here but i was wondering what should i do.
    Im a endomorph with type 2 diabetis(i only take pills 1 time a day) what should my diet consist of ? I train 3 days a week mon,wed,friday ive been at the gym for 6 weeks now. 1st 2 weeks i went easy 2 days a week and 3 and 4th week i went 3 days like im doing now. ive totally changed all my bad eating habits from my diet. i drink 3 to 4 1.5 liters of water during a 10 hour work day with freshly squeezed lemon in my 20oz cup

    meal#1 8:00 am
    3egg whites 2 ww toast
    3 20oz cups of water with fresh lemon squeezed

    meal#2 11:00am
    protein shake 2 scoops with 1 banana (monstor milk)
    dry roasted cashews 8oz


    meal#3 2:00pm
    fresh salad with grilled chicken low fat sugar free yogurt dressing
    maple turkey with mustard on 1 slice of whole wheat bread

    meal#4 5pm
    protein shake 2 scoops with 1 banana
    dry roasted cashews 8oz

    work out is at 6pm 2 16oz bottles of water
    ends at 8pm
    protein shake with banana

    meal#6 9:00pm
    broiled fish,chicken or steak
    steamed veggies,or salad
    another 3 20oz water with fresh lemon

    bed time 10:00
    wake up 7:00am start all over again

    what do you think about my diet? i weighed 232 when i set foot into the gym on may 27th i weighed my self on june 29th im 237,my pants size has dropped from a 38 to a 34 which i was very suprised. i also take 2 multi vitamins in the morning before leaving the house for work along with my other medication. does anyone have some suggestions please feel free to comment i could use the help
    thanks
    moe

  10. #61
    Dedicated Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Juan, PR
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Real Nice but weight gainers really help. and they dont gain fat, if you do a nice enough cardio and the weight will help you a lot. Dymetrex weight gainers are really good. They were used and tested in universities like the united states naval academy in annapolis before they went public.

    But really good thread.

  11. #62
    Dedicated Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Juan, PR
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Real Nice but weight gainers really help. and they dont gain fat, if you do a nice enough cardio and the weight will help you a lot. Dymetrex weight gainers are really good. They were used and tested in universities like the united states naval academy in annapolis before they went public.

    But really good thread.

  12. #63

    Default

    i have been lifting for a couple of years now and this is a smack in the face, man all the things you learn when you first start, and you tell yourself that you will never do, and what am i doing all thoes things. This is the best post i have read in a long time, and everyone that gave just a little add on info, thank you, bust all the thanks to the poster, you brought me back to my roots. this will hang on my wall in my office in a frame.

  13. #64

    Default

    hey
    plz somebody help me . i'm having a hard time gaining weight . i'm 5'11" tall n jus 121 lbs . can any body tell me wat is the fast way to gain weight . can anybody suggest me a good supplement . plz help me out. i'm jus fucked up by being lanky .

  14. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
    hey
    plz somebody help me . i'm having a hard time gaining weight . i'm 5'11" tall n jus 121 lbs . can any body tell me wat is the fast way to gain weight . can anybody suggest me a good supplement . plz help me out. i'm jus fucked up by being lanky .

    eat bro...and then eat some more....
    if u train hard
    then protien = 1.5 x target bodywt = 1.5 x 150(example) = 225 grams
    carbs same as protien
    fats = 0.5 x bodywt = 0.5 x 121 = 60 grams(mainly
    healthy monounsaturated fats)....

    divided into 5 or six meals a day...

    when ever you plateau..increase 400 to 500 cal(either complex carbs or heathy fats) untill u reach your target body wt...

    try looking for a good whey isolate, or mass gainer .... you can also try creatine monohydrate...

  15. #66

    Default

    i treid it creatine bro ( dr intensity ) but i gain weight only when i'm using it and when i stop having it . i again come to my intial stage . but anyways thanx for ur suggestion .expecting more frm u .

  16. #67
    Juggernaut Trey Dunbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MASSachusetts
    Posts
    8,222
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Dr intensity...basically just said......exactly what you should do.....eat eat eat eat...........and then when your full EAT.......

  17. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Good read!

    BEGINNERS COMMON QUESTIONS ANSWERED!, By: Jay Thompson


    I have been surfing alot of the sites and forums and have found many things to be consistent with beginners. Some of the common questions, with accompanying answers are listed below:

    1) I just started bodybuilding and would like to know what supplements I need to take to get big!

    There are three things that you need to concern yourself when beginning. Eating the right food and drinking enough water to keep your body functioning optimally; Training properly; and SLEEPING/RESTING! You must understand that you do not grow while working out. Your muscles grow in response to the stress placed upon them, ie. weight training.

    2) What exercises should I do?

    Assuming that you are trying to get big, you need to do basics. Chest=Incline Bench Press, Flat Bench Press, Dumbbell Flye, Dumbbell Pullovers, Dips. Back=Chins, DEADLIFTS, T-Bar Rows, One-Arm Dumbbell Rows, Low Pulley Rows. Biceps=Standing Barbell Curl, Alternate Dumbbell Curl. Forearms=Wrist Curls, Reverse Curls, Hammer Curls. Triceps=Close Grip Bench Press, French Curl, Dips, Skull Crushers. Quads=Squats, Leg Press, Front Squats. Hams=Stiff Legged Deadlifts, Ham Curl. Calves=All Variations of the Calf Raise. These are, in my opinion, the best exercises for each bodypart.

    3) How do I lose the fat on my stomach?

    The answer to all variations of this question is proper diet and proper training. Your abs don't just come to you when you get big enough. You need to work them from the beginning. Not only does a strong mid-section look good, it protects you from injury by stabilizing your trunk. Many of the people you hear complaining about lower back pain have a big gut! The fact is that you can't lose the fat on your stomach. You can only lose fat throughout your body. Doing 5,000 situps a day won't do any good without a good diet and cardio program.

    4) How often should I lift?

    Train each body part ONCE A WEEK! That's it. Train no more than 4 days a week. On the other days, eat, sleep, drink water and be happy.

    5) I want to gain weight and get my six pack.

    I saw this one today. This is a misnomer. You can either gain weight or get a six pack. You are going to have to choose. You really can't have the best of both worlds. In order to get big, you have to take in more calories than are required for maintenance. To cut, you must ingest less calories than maintenance while keeping protein high to prevent muscle loss. Of course once you have built size you can then work on getting cut.

    6) Do weight gainers help?

    I saw this question and HAD to respond. Weight gainers are a way for the supplement companies to trick the beginner easily. They post an ad with some FREAK and say that he made his gains using this weight gain! Really? Ask the model endorsing the product. By saying you need more calories to gain weight and offering weight gain shakes as the answer, beginners are confused into thinking that they NEED weight gainers to get big. Fact is, you just need plenty of real, good food. Eat tuna, chicken breasts, lean red meat, turkey, beans, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, fresh veggies, etc to get big. It is more beneficial for you to eat properly than to drink a weight gainer!

    7) Why don't I get sore muscles after my workout?

    It does not mean that you have not worked your muscles sufficiently if you don't get sore. Work at 100% intensity, with perfect form and you will get results!

    8) I can't "feel" the exercise working.

    This is usually heard when someone is performing with too much weight in poor form. You don't get the burn in the muscles you are working because you are working every other muscle except for the "target" muscle. For example, many people do curls with entirely too much weight and are bending over backwards to "lift" the weight! You are going to strain your back and/or shoulders, along with a host of other muscles. You might not pick up the heaviest weights in the gym, but using the proper weight for your strength, you will benefit in the long run! Take your ego to the club and your ass to the gym!


    Author: Dan Gallapoo ( dan@griffindirectmarketing.com )
    Nice post. You mentioned that for a beginner, to only train 4 days per week. How do you manage to fit in all different body parts into your weight training on those 4 days. I.e, what do you train and on what days?? Chest/Back on one day.. or ???

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •