Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beginners common questions

I read this and saw that you should only train each of your body parts once a week. What if you feel like your back is "lagging" compared to other parts due to front-mirror syndrome when you first started lifting?

Nobody

Hello everybody. I have been training for about 7-8 months to get into better shape and to get myself prepared to step into the MMA world. I have had a very good trainer for the entire time and he had me start reading MD and told me to sign up on here so I can get more info to feed my brain. When I first started training I had no idea what I was doing. MD helped answer a lot of questions without having to actually ask them. My schedule now is based on information I have gotten not only from my trainer but from MD as well. I stick to a fairly tight diet. I eat every three hours, making sure I take in around 40 grams of protein per meal. I try to keep my carbs to a maximum of 2 carbs per lb. of bodyweight. I try to only take in simple carbs along with my protein shake after a workout so that I can spike my insulin levels. I haven't really been worrying too much about calories because I workout very hard. I usually do 16 sets per body part, and I workout on a set schedule each week where I do chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, off on Wednesday, shoulders on Thursday, biceps and triceps on Friday, legs and abs on Saturday, then off again on Sunday. So far I have gained about 15-20 lbs of muscle in the past 7-8 months, so I am happy with what I have done. But I am a worrisome person and I always think I am doing things wrong. So my question is: Is there anything I should change about what I am doing? Am I on the right track? Any suggestions and information you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I love to learn.

Should we be cutting creatine a week prior to a competition?
    Those who can't, say YOU can't

I have noticed its very hard for me to practice good posture when doing a bent over row. I can arch my lower back just fine for squats, but when I try to arch(and by arch I am trying to describe my ass out, shoulders back, belly forward) with my knees slightly bent and my upper body almost parallel to the ground it forces my lower back to roll. The guy I was training with the other night was the one who brought this to my attention. This is the first time I have tried the bent over row like this. Normally I had my upper body elevated much higher which he said took away from my target area of the lats. I feel that my lower back has possibly over developed because of several years of lifting like an idiot. Please give me some opinions. I am going to get a deep tissue message tomorrow and I hope this will break up any knotted up muscle tissue if thats whats going on. Thanks in advance

Schneider-
    See page one, you are giving us new guys a bad rep... Its pretty hard to miss, about 12'' of your screen and 30 mins of Tim's time was devoted to that very question.
    Last edited by Evan Toland; April 2nd, 2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To add a reference

Quote Originally Posted by Schneider Fernandes View Post
    How many meals do I eat in a day ?? how do I space them out ?? I have heard tha the professional body builders have 6 meals a day.
    Bodybuilding for Beginners Part 1
    By Tim Wescott

If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
    2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
    3.Start off slowly.
    4.Stick to the basics.
    5.Commit to your program.
    6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
    7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)

Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run.

Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound. If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle.
    Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
    overnight with very little effort.

You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods.

There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
    2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
    3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

We'll start with the Ectomorph.

Day #1
    Upper body: Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS--Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
    Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
    Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
    Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

Lowerbody:
    Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
    Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
    Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

And that's it.

The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1 - 6.

Ready?

Here goes :
    Meal # 1:
    4 whole eggs
    2 slices wholegrain toast
    1 banana
    8oz. fat free milk.

Meal # 2:
    1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
    1 green salad with low-fat,low-sugar dressing
    1 orange
    8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 3:
    Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
    2 whole eggs 1 scoop of ice cream
    1 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal# 4:
    Steak, chicken, or fish
    1 baked potato
    1 cup fibrous vegetables
    8 oz. fat free milk.

Meal# 5:
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup veggies
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

Meal # 6:
    Another protein shake
    1 Tbsp. natty Peanut butter

That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount.

Your workouts will be as follows:

Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs., lowerbody on Tues. and Fri. Rest on the
    other three days,keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time. Also Get As Much Goog SOUND Sleep As You Can to aid in recovery.

Drink a minimum of a at least a gallon of water every day.

Now on to the Endomorph:

I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine.

IOnward to our Mesomorphic friends:

Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes. If this seems like a lot of work it is but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

The diet:
    Meal # 1:
    7 egg whites cooked in non-fat cooking spray
    1 whole egg
    1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk)
    water

Meal # 2:
    Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

Meal # 3:
    1 can of tuna
    1 plain baked potato
    1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar
    water

Meal # 4.:
    5 oz. chicken breast (no skin)
    1/2 cup brown rice ( I recommend Success Boil In Bag )
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    water

Meal # 5:
    1 can tuna
    Large green salad with vinegar
    water

Meal #6:
    Protein shake in water
    1 Tbsp. olive oil

That's it.

Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

1-Eat your food slowly,
    2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
    3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types............let's get to the Don'ts first:
    Don't eat junk
    Don't forget water
    Don't miss workouts
    Don't deviate from this routine
    Don't slack off.

Now for the Do's:
    Do train hard
    Do be consistent
    Do stick to your your diet
    Do add weight to the bar when possible
    Do use good form

Oh yeah and I forgot one more don't:

DON'T QUIT!!!!!

Good read

Thanks for the info!

very useful info

Nobody

It looks like I found a great thread to get me started on this forum. The first article posted reminded me of some great exercises that I probably haven't done in years (ie pullovers, hammer curls and close grip bench). The second article was a real eye opener on how much food us hard gainers have to eat!

Great stuff, thanks!

Thanks! This helped answer some of my questions

Nobody

good advice, but got a question on bodyfat around the belly would it be better to diet first to get rid of bodyfat or would it be ok to go on a high protien diet and lift weights to build muscle and try to lose bodyfat at same time any help would be very much helpfull only just started training so trying to get as much advice as poss to be safe in what i do in gym, once again guys thanks for any advice!!!

Nobody

sorry guys posted same post twice couldnt del so had to write this
    Last edited by iesty9; January 8th, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: done twice

Quote Originally Posted by iesty9 View Post
    good advice, but got a question on bodyfat around the belly would it be better to diet first to get rid of bodyfat or would it be ok to go on a high protien diet and lift weights to build muscle and try to lose bodyfat at same time any help would be very much helpfull only just started training so trying to get as much advice as poss to be safe in what i do in gym, once again guys thanks for any advice!!!
    1) get diet on point-tailored macros to encourage muscle growth
    2) training/cardio- tailored to ensure your building muscle and losing fat
    its all uphill from here..

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by iesty9 View Post
    I am starting out and have the same issue - at 5ft6 and weighing...hang on a sec....76.4kg after pushing out a Richard III and any urine I could....I have a waist measurement around navel of 37" including love handles and despite having low fat levels virtually everywhere else

I have a bad diet - not that I eat crap as I rarely eat out, don't do fast food and hate pop and alcohol - i simply don't eat enough and in calorific numbers, geez i could be on no more than 1300 a day

Which leads me to pose a thought - given that we talk about the body holding onto food as fat reserves in times of famine etc, could the fact I eat so irregularly mean my body is almost automatically converting a lot of what I eat into fat as it thinks it may be a while until I eat again ?

As of today i'm eating more regular (three hours max) and will continue for the next month to see if that on it's own makes a difference to my body composition.

Waiting to post a journal once I have enough basic posts registered !

Vinny

Dedicated Noob

One other question I have - since buying the gym, I open up at half six as I train at this time in the morning so it made sense to open up as well.

But from a nutritional point of view, what would make a good intake pre workout, do I get up at half five and chow down on a standard breakfast, have a shake of some description, take a pre-workout such as C4 first then eat after or just train then have a post workout shake followed by food an hour or so later ?

All help appreciated,

Vinny

Nobody

To put it as basic as possible for beginners, use multi-joint compound exercises such as the squat, bench press, deadlift and rows to build mass and make sure you have an appropriate nutrition plan. Remember nutrition play's a significant role in building muscle mass and you can't out train a bad diet. Also make sure you get adequate recovery.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast