Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obese Person: "Im too embarrassed to go to the gym"

Question Obese Person: "Im too embarrassed to go to the gym"

I used to think this was a lame excuse until i heard lots of overweight people saying it.What exactly makes them think they would be out of place in a gym?

For the average joe isnt the gym a place where they would try to get in shape/lose bodyfat/tone up? I have yet to see a really obese person get ridiculed in the gym regardless of how big they were.
    So why do a lot of them say they are too embarassed to go to the gym???

Quote Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
    I used to think this was a lame excuse until i heard lots of overweight people saying it.What exactly makes them think they would be out of place in a gym?

For the average joe isnt the gym a place where they would try to get in shape/lose bodyfat/tone up? I have yet to see a really obese person get ridiculed in the gym regardless of how big they were.
    So why do a lot of them say they are too embarassed to go to the gym???
    As unfair as it sounds.......at my gym the people there are all amazingly fit. If someone overweight is there, you notice. If it is someone obese...well, they don't seem to stay.

I work out at the Gold's gym of sunrise,Florida which is probably one of the most hardcore gyms of south florida but along with the bodybuilders and powerlifters we also have lots of 250lb moms in there.They seem to be accepted nicely in there.

Quote Originally Posted by athleticmom View Post
    As unfair as it sounds.......at my gym the people there are all amazingly fit. If someone overweight is there, you notice. If it is someone obese...well, they don't seem to stay.
    Same here. It must be horribly intimidating to be a fattie in a room full of fit people. They all know what they are doing and the obese person is confused and scared.

Todays gyms don't help new members, they say to get a persoanl trainer. Back when I owned a gym, everyone got persoanl attention and workouts everytime they came in till they could go on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
    I work out at the Gold's gym of sunrise,Florida which is probably one of the most hardcore gyms of south florida but along with the bodybuilders and powerlifters we also have lots of 250lb moms in there.They seem to be accepted nicely in there.
    I don't know if my gym is unaccepting... It is very expensive so I would think if you paid to join you would really be pretty serious and also want to stay. I recall even feeling a little funky at first when I joined it and I was already very fit. I do think obese folks are very self-conscious. It is hard to look decent in spandex even for the average gal.... Whenever I see a very overweight person exercising I say a little prayer of encouragement for them because what they are doing (exercising) is exactly what they need on SO many levels!

Banned

Yeah, we treat the fats here very good.
    They seem to be depressed and sad when they see that they are not fitting in.
    But i treat the fats with respect.

I see all shapes and sizes in the gyms I frequent. IMO its the skinny minnie middle aged green bean shaped people, who come every day and do sessions with trainers and NEVER look any different (no muscle, no change at all) that should be embarassed. You're spending all this time & money and you look like a shoelace!

I can't understand those people not making changes with their trainers...very strange!

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I don't think calling them "the fats" is treating them with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    I don't think calling them "the fats" is treating them with respect.
    It's quite mean, actually.

Banned

Pardon me.
    Well i guess it sounds wrong,
    Well...the "overweights"
    are always treated here with respect.

It is a shame that there are uneducated people who harass the overweights in the gym. They are doing it to make themselves feel better because they have emotional problems, deep inside of them.

I used to be extremely over weight 325 to be exact (Dropped 70lb since then, and still going). If it wasn’t for my best friend getting me into the gym I would probably be even heavier now. Speaking from personal experience as a fat person its realy hard to get into a gym on your own, you expect people to make fun of you and you just don’t fit in. But as time goes on and you start seeing changes you get hooked and realize everyone is there for the same reason. The biggest problem with most overweight people is that they don’t stay long enough to see those changes.

Oh and personal trainers are bullshit (no offence lol). All you need is a good muscle mag and the MD forums just cant be lazy to read, no trainer can beat that. All you need is here lol.

the fat ppl r always on the damn machines!!!

Because there fat??
    TRAIN, EAT, SLEEP SO ON AND SO FORTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I have a name for them... people?

I'm just kidding by the way. I've just always wanted to use that thing! Ok this one is at myself

Banned

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast