Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Lineman

Default Offensive Lineman

Im 17 and about to go into my senior year of football, LSU and Troy want me to gain 15 pounds to play d-line for them i think my squat and bench is ok but whats the best way to gain muscle fast?? my squat is 540 and bench is only 300 i need my bench up and i at least want 600 on squat whats the best way to about this???

Quote Originally Posted by Newtron54 View Post
    Im 17 and about to go into my senior year of football, LSU and Troy want me to gain 15 pounds to play d-line for them i think my squat and bench is ok but whats the best way to gain muscle fast?? my squat is 540 and bench is only 300 i need my bench up and i at least want 600 on squat whats the best way to about this???

For overall gaining strength I prefer a 5x5 method. 5 sets of 5 reps to failure on the major lifts (bench, squat, deads, power clean, overhead press).

The best way to put on weight is none other than food. A lot of food. Try to eat 1-1.5 g of protein per lbs. bodyweight. Since your only 17 the lower end will work out fine. Eat quality carbs and fats with each meal. I would go with about 2 g carbs per pound and also fill in the rest with healthy fats.

What's your current bodyweight?

GeorgeForemanRules

Eat!!!!

Post the training program you use now.

I would do 5x5 but not to failure, but thats just me, and eat like a machine if you even let yourself feel hungry you have already lost the bulking battle.

Spotter

Deep squats , lunges , cleans. College will get you stronger and bigger , for now eat , eat , eat , and train for quickness. Find out real quick that the game speed is sooo much faster. GEt quicker and eat

CliftonThomas

I would agree with the 5x5 training. You can search the name bill starr. He came up with the 5x5 football strength program of squats, bench presses, and power cleans. Here is a page to get you started. He has other plans out there but I think this one is the original. www.stronglifts.com
    Last edited by CliftonThomas; January 20th, 2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: double word

Thanks everyone my current body weight is 265 and im 6'2"

i eat a lot actually but probably not enough and my current training schedule is like this:
    Monday during School: After School:Close Grip Bench 4x8
    Bench 4x8 85% Tri ext
    Squat 4x8 85% Plyo Boxes and Agility
    Curls and SLDL
    Tuesday: Cleans 4x8 85% After School:Hang Cleans 4x8
    Dead Lifts 4x8 85% Lunges
    Shrugs and High Pulls Plate Jumps

Wed and Thurs same as monday and tuesday

Friday During School
    Power Curls
    Tricep Ext
    Necks
    Close Grip Reverse Grip and Wide Grip bench

Spotter

where is your agility/speed/endurance training. Quick feet. Do sets of dots , bleachers , sprints. Sled pulls and the driving dummies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by italian heat View Post
    where is your agility/speed/endurance training. Quick feet. Do sets of dots , bleachers , sprints. Sled pulls and the driving dummies!!!

ohhhhh yea dude theres no doubt we do all that thats every other day we do sled pulls mirror drills sand drills jump rope boards and we jump over an old sewer line or a rope toed to my coaches truck 50 yards away then we hit dummies so the agility is all there

Dedicated Noob

I think that rather than get too complicated base your free weights training on mastering the three important strength lifts:

On Mondays-The Bench Press followed by the Military Press, Dumbell Flyes and the Lying Triceps Extensions with an EZ Curl Bar.

On Wednesdays Do The Full Squat and The Power Clean followed by Supersets of Leg Extensions, Leg Curls or Leg Presses and Seated Calf Raises.

On Fridays do Cable or T-Bar Rows. Parttial Deadlifts. Rack shrugs, Upright rows with an EZ Curl Bar and EZ Curl Bar Curls. You can substitute dumbells sometimes if you have them at your gym.

During the sesason just do Bench Presses and Preacher Bench Curls.

Use a Belt. Do abdominals all the time like crunches and situps. Do lots of pushups on the weekends challenging your friends and family to equal your numbers or at least count for you.

For agility Jump rope and punch heavy Everlast Boxing bags for two straight minutes at a time from a Boxer's stance three oir four times a session.

You'll need that hand speed and footwork.

Good Luck.

Spotter

Thanks everyone my current body weight is 265 and im 6'2"

i eat a lot actually but probably not enough and my current training schedule is like this:
    Monday during School: After School:Close Grip Bench 4x8
    Bench 4x8 85% Tri ext
    Squat 4x8 85% Plyo Boxes and Agility
    Curls and SLDL
    Tuesday: Cleans 4x8 85% After School:Hang Cleans 4x8
    Dead Lifts 4x8 85% Lunges
    Shrugs and High Pulls Plate Jumps

Wed and Thurs same as monday and tuesday

Friday During School
    Power Curls
    Tricep Ext
    Necks
    Close Grip Reverse Grip and Wide Grip bench
    I think your program is solid, much better than mine at your age I played Saftey/Cornerback at a small DII school here in PA. For me the one exercise that made the biggest difference in my "football strength" was power cleans. I never really did them regularly until the off season between my sophmore and junior year of college. That offseason I did alot of speed/agility work and basically the only lifts I did were a ton of power cleans, a couple sets of Bench, Squats, Deadlifts and a Rowing movement per workout. I would throw in a few other exercises here and there. That's all I really did and I got a little faster, a lot bigger (for a D-Back, not BIG like you) and a lot more explosive. It's just a great lift for developing explosive power.

i love power cleans its the only excersise that i can stand besides plate jumps and squats, ive also become fond of the leg extensions and leg curls, i hate bench but im strong on it id much rather squat anyday though
    Starting a new chapter...

Take a look at the WS4SB 3 template. It's designed for athletes, espically football players.

legbreaker

Go to westside barbell forum and ask the main guys that SUCCESSFULLY have trained in powerlifting....

thanks for the info and the suggestions, i have my max week next week ill keep it posted, i did 315 5x3 on bench, 525 5x3 on squat

Spotter

thanks for the info and the suggestions, i have my max week next week ill keep it posted, i did 315 5x3 on bench, 525 5x3 on squat
    what about your power cleans?? When I was your going to play college ball , I critiqued my routine and focused on the main lifts. Squat , power clean and bench. ( i did not dead as I broke a vertebrae in my lower back). In my opinion , power clean is the best exercise for football. Hit your main lifts hard and you will be fine. Eat and continue to gains size and quickness.

usually on power cleans i hit about 315 for 5x3 a lot of people do squat cleans in the weightroom but im one of the only ones who power cleans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast