Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Average Human Shoulder Width?

Default Average Human Shoulder Width?

I've been scouring the internet for some anthropometric data, but I've been having a hard time finding the average human shoulder width; from one delt head to the other.

I came up with a clever method to measure my own shoulder width and it came out to be 23". I've been told that I have wide shoulders, but I'd like to compare it to some data.

Does any of the scientific people out there know anything about such measurements?

Default Hope this helps

When finding answers to scientific questions, I have had luck when not finding the information from a google or similar search in checking out the web pages of major University departments. Find a department of Anthropology that has a Forensic Anthropologist. They will have an email address. If you send a short, very specific question such as the one you posed, you will find that academics are usually willing to give you an answer if they have one. I have done it on several occassions. Broad questions don't fare so well because they won't have time to give you more than some sources to check out, but specific questions usually result in a speedy response with specific answers.

-Jorje

Quote Originally Posted by jorje25 View Post
    When finding answers to scientific questions, I have had luck when not finding the information from a google or similar search in checking out the web pages of major University departments. Find a department of Anthropology that has a Forensic Anthropologist. They will have an email address. If you send a short, very specific question such as the one you posed, you will find that academics are usually willing to give you an answer if they have one. I have done it on several occassions. Broad questions don't fare so well because they won't have time to give you more than some sources to check out, but specific questions usually result in a speedy response with specific answers.

-Jorje
    Hmmm...I'll have to try that.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by Pentatonic View Post
    I've been scouring the internet for some anthropometric data, but I've been having a hard time finding the average human shoulder width; from one delt head to the other.

I came up with a clever method to measure my own shoulder width and it came out to be 23". I've been told that I have wide shoulders, but I'd like to compare it to some data.

Does any of the scientific people out there know anything about such measurements?
    "24'' wide shoulders are as rare as hens teeth"

Arthur Jones-

Mine was like 23' when i started working out. But that aint average.
    No one is special, some were patient.