Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training twice a day, good or bad for naturals?

Default Training twice a day, good or bad for naturals?

Just wondering if its good or bad for naturals to train twice a day like pro bodybuilders?
    Ive always trained a max of once a day, so curious?

Forum Leader: Performance, Nattie, Training bodyfx2's Avatar

It would really depend on lifestyle, job, nutritional/supplementation approach, GENETICS, and more. You cannot generalize a question like this to all naturals.
    CEO BBuilt International www.broserbuilt.com
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

are you talking about lifting twice a day? or cardio then lifting? if you are talking about the first i would not do it. the only people who i know of that say they train twice a day are cutler and ben white(both of which are genetic freaks and both of which are not natural). you might be able to lift twice a day, but i would not. this opinion is not based on any facts just logic. i would not train with weights twice a day.

Techncially while Eric is right I think with weights you could do heavy 1 workout ours later do the smaller body parts like arms or calves.

If you are able to live a lifestyle by which you can basically train, rest and eat for the majority of the day, then yes, it can be done. However, if like most of us one has to work, go to school, raise a family, etc, then no, I feel it would be counterproductive.

Still, I have never seen a reason to train twice a day, aside from doing cardio in the morning and weights later.
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Quote Originally Posted by bodyfx2 View Post
    If you are able to live a lifestyle by which you can basically train, rest and eat for the majority of the day, then yes, it can be done. However, if like most of us one has to work, go to school, raise a family, etc, then no, I feel it would be counterproductive.

Still, I have never seen a reason to train twice a day, aside from doing cardio in the morning and weights later.
    Yeah thats what I meant I guess I didn't get it out right.

@ me hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnvil View Post
    Yeah thats what I meant I guess I didn't get it out right.

@ me hehe
    I will be your spokesperson from now on
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Amateur Threat Der Mann im Mond's Avatar

I personally train arms up to 3 days a week because they recover quickly and also b/c I always want to feel a pump. I train everything else once a week. Sometimes my arm workout are done in the morning and another body part is worked in the evening.
    žonne god wile eoršan lifes ende gewyrcan!

legbreaker

Why don't you give it a shot and then you'll know from your results. I gained 45 pounds naturally, training twice a day (1-2 hours each session) from may (16 years old) to march 17 years old. I ate a tremendous amount and trained with a pro.

I'd hafta give ya a big N O on this one. Again, depends on the type of training, but for me persoanlly, as far as weight training goes, there is no way my body would be able to recover.
    Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
    F.I.T. Corps

Personally, I would never have the energy for two weight training sessions in one day. Once I'm done with training, my energy levels are pretty non-existant for the rest of the day. I don't think it would be optimal for recovery, but we are all different. Like legbreaker said, the only way to find out is to give it a shot and see if it works for you.

I WOULD SAY NO.

BODY PARTS 2X'S A WEEK? MAYBE WITH GREAT GENETICS YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT I JUST THINK WITHOUT THE DRUGS RECOVERY WILL EVENTUALLY CATCH UP TO YOU
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

I agree with Adam. But I'll also add one other component: age. As you creep up in age, recovery is extremely different. As I've gotten older I've found that I NEED muscular rest during the day. If I do 2 a day weight workouts, by Friday I'm cashed. I think your 2 adays should be cardio & weights.

I tried doing this last semester. I don't know how old the original poster is, but I'm 19 soon to be 20. What I found was that this worked great for about 4-6 weeks, I went up in weight in everything, and a considerable amount (ex. 315x5 to 405x2 on squat). But after that 4-6 week period, my weights started going back down, I got real sick, and my body seemed to be pretty broken down. (Keep in mind I am at college, so my diet is not any better than average.) So I would say doing 2-a-days is good for little while, but be careful not to do it for long.

If you have nothing to do, but bodybuild then it alright. In the life of the "normal" folk it is very hard to fit all your meals in with training, work, school, etc., why make it harder?

i read a good article by poliquin that suggested some tips for it....

-2 weeks of 2 a days and 2 weeks of normal training alternated.

-load up on antioxidants especially rla, and taurine for better insulin sensitivity and release and antioxidant activity

-use adequate nutrition (obviously) but theres a poliquin chart floating around on the amount of carbs and protein based on the number of reps done per workout. (check link near bottom of page)

http://www.criticalbench.com/Charles-Poliquin.htm

-workouts should last no longer then 45-60 minutes (i don't think this includes warm-up and cool down.

-do the second workout within 4-6 hours of the first (any longer and something to do with the fatigue of your CNS and you wont adequately recover for the next session.

-and try different splits to see what feels best like A.M. (low rep), P.M. (high rep) or A.M. (Compound Movements), P.M. (Isolation movements)

ill try to find the article if i can. it was in an issue of ironman a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by homerj.simpson View Post
    i read a good article by poliquin that suggested some tips for it....

-2 weeks of 2 a days and 2 weeks of normal training alternated.

-load up on antioxidants especially rla, and taurine for better insulin sensitivity and release and antioxidant activity

-use adequate nutrition (obviously) but theres a poliquin chart floating around on the amount of carbs and protein based on the number of reps done per workout. (check link near bottom of page)

http://www.criticalbench.com/Charles-Poliquin.htm

-workouts should last no longer then 45-60 minutes (i don't think this includes warm-up and cool down.

-do the second workout within 4-6 hours of the first (any longer and something to do with the fatigue of your CNS and you wont adequately recover for the next session.

-and try different splits to see what feels best like A.M. (low rep), P.M. (high rep) or A.M. (Compound Movements), P.M. (Isolation movements)

ill try to find the article if i can. it was in an issue of ironman a few months back.
    I know the article. Charles is a training genius. However, what HE is speaking of is actually training the SAME bodypart twice per day, rather than simply training twice per day (such as chest in the AM and biceps in the PM).
    NGA
    PRO BODYBUILDER
    PRRS/FDFS PIONEER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast