Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Reps or Sets

Lightbulb Reps or Sets

i wanted to put on more size, strenth,mass not looking to get cut up.so i was woundering should i do 4x12 @ a modrate weight or should i do less reps heavy weight (where i can still do the full sets) like 6 sets @ 8 sets or 8 reps 10 sets..

i was at frist doing 4x12 ive gain which is cool but i wanted to be stronger you know i was talking to a guy at my gym and he suggested to heavy weight low reps more sets.. is that a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAPA View Post
    i wanted to put on more size, strenth,mass not looking to get cut up.so i was woundering should i do 4x12 @ a modrate weight or should i do less reps heavy weight (where i can still do the full sets) like 6 sets @ 8 sets or 8 reps 10 sets..

i was at frist doing 4x12 ive gain which is cool but i wanted to be stronger you know i was talking to a guy at my gym and he suggested to heavy weight low reps more sets.. is that a good idea
    4 to 6 sets, 8 to 12 reps per set.

Everyone will tell you low reps, high weight. Whats your diet too?

my diet is chicken brown rice cottage cheese spinch veggies some meats fish etc..i say my diet isnt bad i take protein was taking na no vapor but im seeing alots off ppl talking about BCAA (branched chain amino acids)..

its also all about contraction of the muscle. powerlifters lift for strength and bodybuilders lift for muscle. you dont have to go extremely heavy on the weight. i would concentrate on form with contraction and then move up once 10 reps becomes easy. intensity is a must.

ive been lifting for 17 years and i started at 135 lbs with 11" arms and a 36" chest,i am now 265 with 22" arms and a 54" chest,and its all because of lifting with heavy weight for reps in the 4-8 range,and i do 20 sets per bodypart on average,people like to say light weight and low volume style shit,dont listen to them.Heavy weight and high volume along with high calories and protein and rest are what build muscles.
    Ride the stache!

If you're a true beginner, doesn't really matter, you'll see results if you bust your ass.

My recommendation would be to find a good basic program that hits the major muscles 3 times per week for the first 3-4 weeks then move to 4 days per week and continue doing the major mass builders.

Pyramiding (doing 1 set for 12, adding weight doing another for 10, adding weight doing another for 8) is always a good way to build strength/size initially, until your body adapts. I'd work some periodization, starting with 3-4 weeks of 12, 10, 8 rep pyramiding, then I'd do 3-4 weeks of 10, 8, 6 or 8, 6, 4.

Stick with multi joint exercises ntil you build yoru foundation.
    TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
    www.fitcorps.net

well i have been working out for almost 2yrs so im still finding diff ways to build up but as of now im doing 4x12 @ modrate weight my goal is to get strenth and mass im not really wanting to get cut im about 5'8 202lbs im loseing more weight eating high protein but be sides that.. im work on doing 4x12 cause thats easy for me to do all the sets and next month ill do like a heavy weight training like 6x8 or like 6x10 i mean is that ideal to build up strenth and mass?

well in my opinion, why not use all types of variations of reps and sets? where is it said in stone that using a certain amount of sets and reps that YOU personally will make the gains you want. Nowhere, bodybuilding is about finding what works best for you. maybe your body will react better to high reps than low reps. i myself need all different types of stimulation, so i do high and low reps in the same workout man and that has given me great gains in the last few months. you should definitely give it a try man.
    AAEFX BOARD REP *Free sample of AAEFX's Pre-Workout,K-OTIC,call #1-888-238-1864(ext. 345)

Ive been doing heavy weights, less reps and its working for me

Dedicated Noob

4 sets of 8 -12 on everything except abs (until failure)

Little Guy

I think the majority of lifters tend to go high reps, low weight when they are warming up, burning out, or are attempting to lean out a bit. I've always gone heavy weight, low reps when I am bulking or am feeling stronger than usual that day. To each his own.