Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: In Memory of Shelley "Siren" Beattie. 8-24-68 to 2-13-08

Default In Memory of Shelley "Siren" Beattie. 8-24-68 to 2-13-08

As you can well imagine Shelley’s family is devastated by her passing. They have requested that they be left to morn this deep personal tragedy in peace. They want you to know that in recent months Shelley had fallen gravely ill. She fought like the champion she was until she could fight no more, and passed away quietly last week.

I will always remember Shelley as a magnificent human being with an innocent childlike quality that everyone loved. She made a difference to everyone she touched and motivated so many people who were challenged. As “Siren” on the American Gladiators, Shelly showed thousands of challenged kids and adults that it is okay to be different. She always said, “the only thing I can’t do is hear.” And she was right.

I’ll never forget her streaking across the ceiling of Gladiator Arena upside down on “Sky Track” during the taping of Gladiators. She set the record in that event and it was never broken. Or, as a grinder in the sailing yacht America Cubed racing for the Americas Cup. The first time I took her rock climbing she flashed a 5.7 pitch with her shoe laces untied. No one could believe it. One of our climbing buddies was also a world-class Olympic kayaker training for the Olympic team. He thought Shelley might like to try her hand at Olympic kayaking. We met up at the training dock in Marina del Rey one afternoon and Shelley got into his kayak that was pulled up along the dock. She pushed off and started paddling rather briskly down the channel. I looked over at our climbing buddy/Olympic kayaker and his eyes were transfixed in disbelief. In 20 years he had never seen anyone do that. When I got into the next boat I found out why – they are insanely unstable! I fell over 50 times and gave up while Shelley did speed laps up and down the channel keeping right up our friend. We got a call from the Olympic training center the next day asking to see her.

But, as a bodybuilder, Shelley really shined. I think Shelley embodied the last of the Corey era. Her physique was ranked 3rd in the world. And her thumping hip-hop routine got her a standing ovation at the 93 Olympia. I’ll never forget Lenda Murray telling me after she won in 92 that when she saw Shelley out of her sweat suit for the first time back stage she said, “oh no, Shelley is on!” She was too. What a sight to see Shelley, Lenda and Laura Creval being compared on stage. I’ve never been so proud.

We are putting together a tribute to Shelley for the next issue of MD to remember this amazing woman. Let’s never forget Shelley “Siren” Beattie. Keep her memory alive.

In respecting the family’s privacy, please send your condolence in the form of a donation in Shelley’s name to Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002.

I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat…..
    Last edited by John Romano; February 18th, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

sorry to hear john.
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

That's sad news. I'm sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to Shelley's family.

Rest In Peace.

Condolences to all who knew her

OMG So sorry to here John.
    She was my Fave Female BB back in the 90s as she still looked like a female.

So sad Im sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to her family.

RIP Shelly

RIP. far too young to go, although when you think about she crammed a lifetime of experience and accomplishment into such a short period of time. the brightest flames always seem to extinguish the fastest. god bless.

so sorry to heat that R.I.P.Shelley

Beach Body

it's a sad day bro,the good die young but damn she was a great one,all the prayers in the world to you and her family

In the trenches of LI NY at the MD headquarters

Sorry To Hear this JR! may she rest in peace.
    It's like a Freak Circus

only 40yrs old

Future

Very sorry for your loss. She was an inspiring person.

Our Prayers and Thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

IFBB Women's Historian Steve Wennerstrom's Avatar

[quote=John Romano;549148]As you can well imagine Shelley’s family is devastated by her passing. They have requested that they be left to morn this deep personal tragedy in peace. They want you to know that in recent months Shelley had fallen gravely ill. She fought like the champion she was until she could fight no more, and passed away quietly last week.

I will always remember Shelley as a magnificent human being with an innocent childlike quality that everyone loved. She made a difference to everyone she touched and motivated so many people who were challenged. As “Siren” on the American Gladiators, Shelly showed thousands of challenged kids and adults that it is okay to be different. She always said, “the only thing I can’t do is hear.” And she was right.

I’ll never forget her streaking across the ceiling of Gladiator Arena upside down on “Sky Track” during the taping of Gladiators. She set the record in that event that and it was never broken. Or, as a grinder in the sailing yacht America Cubed racing for the Americas Cup. The first time I took her rock climbing she flashed a 5.7 pitch with her shoe laces untied. No one could believe it. One of our climbing buddies was also a world-class Olympic kayaker training for the Olympic team. He thought Shelley might like to try her hand at Olympic kayaking. We met up at the training dock in Marina del Rey one afternoon and Shelley got into his kayak that was pulled up along the dock. She pushed off and started paddling rather briskly down the channel. I looked over at our climbing buddy/Olympic kayaker and his eyes were transfixed in disbelief. In 20 years he had never seen anyone do that. When I got into the next boat I found out why – they are insanely unstable! I fell over 50 times and gave up while Shelley did speed laps up and down the channel keeping right up our friend. We got a call from the Olympic training center the next day asking to see her.

But, as a bodybuilder, Shelley really shined. I think Shelley embodied the last of the Corey era. Her physique was ranked 3rd in the world. And her thumping hip-hop routine got her a standing ovation at the 93 Olympia. I’ll never forget Lenda Murray telling me after she won in 93 that when she saw Shelley out of her sweat suit for the first time back stage she said, “oh no, Shelley is on!” She was too. What a sight to see Shelley, Lenda and Laura Creval being compared on stage. I’ve never been so proud.

We are putting together a tribute to Shelley for the next issue of MD to remember this amazing woman. Let’s never forget Shelley “Siren” Beattie. Keep her memory alive.

Rest In Peace

Shelly was "GOOD PEOPLE" I'm sure she'll be missed by all who knew or met her.
    May God Bless her family.
    RIP
    S. Ray

RIP...earth has lost a great one, but heaven has gained an angel...

She wil never be Forgotten
    Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast