Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: H.O.S.S Training Program - great for beginners and advanced trainers!!!

He-man,

My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?

Dustin
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    He-man,

My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?

Dustin
    I use the smith machine and a block of wood. My gym doesn't have one either.

Rocky

Addison K.

He-man,

Dustin
    You can do calf raises with a barbell also.

Addison K.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    bump for response.
    That looks great to me. And like with any program - it's really just a guide line to follow and more importantly come back to when one strays too far. H.O.S.S is just bare boned, old school heavy basic lifting which I feel the new generation has gotten away from and even forgotten about.

Dabear - I also did event training every Sunday....all in one day switching it up and never doing the same events back to back. I would only train with weights twice a week, on Tues & Thurs, and I was my biggest/strongest EVER during that time. That strongman event training really packs on the size like nothing else.....but that's another program all together huh
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

He-man,

My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine. Would you suggest substituting with doing calf raises using a DB one leg at a time on a step, or doing toe presses on a leg press machine?Dustin
    I didn't put it into the H.O.S.S Training Program, to keep things simple and not give a big explaination of the exercise like the one below LOL, but I prefer to do my calf raises (or toe presses as you call them in this case) on a leg press. I put on 4 plates/side....leave the saftey bar on.....press up with my legs to the top....lower my feet so the balls of my feet are just above the bottom of the platform....and start repping away. My calves BLEW UP HUGE when I switched to the leg press - calf presses. The stretch at the bottom is unlike any other and I personally feel that the better the stretch the bigger your calves will grow. I do sets of 30 + reps and the burn kicks in around 20 so the final 10 are crazy. Then I do either seated or standing calf raises. I highly recommend that everyone give these a try!!!
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post

Monday - legs/calves

squats: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15

then either: leg press or hack squats or front squats: 5x5
    stiff leg deadlifts: 1x15, 3x10
    standing calf raise: 3x30+
    seated calf raise: 3x30+

Wednesday - chest/delts/tri's

bench press: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
    dips: 3x as many as possible
    then either: flat flys or incline flys or peck deck or cable cross-overs: 3x10
    then either standing barbell press or standing dumbell press: 2x15, 3x10-5
    then either skull crushers or over-head tricep extensions or close-grip bench press: 4x10-8
    then either regular push-downs or rope push-downs or reverse grip push-downs: 3x15-10

Friday - back/traps/bi's/

deadlifts: 2x15, 1x10, 5x5, 1x15
    then either bent barbell rows or t-bar rows or Hammer Strength rows: 1x15, 5x5
    then either chin-ups: 3x as many as possible or wide grip front pull-downs 3 x15, 10, 8
    barbell shrugs: 4x10 (go heavy)
    standing barbell curls: 1x15, 4x10-8
    then either hammer curls or preacher curls or spider curls or concentration curls: 3x15-10 (each arms)
    HE-MAN,
    i'm wondering which of the new exercises you would personally recommend? i did barbell hack squats today and they are my new favorite!! never done them before but i love them now. anyway, if i like the originals (i.e. barbell rows and flys etc) do you think i should still change them?
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    HE-MAN,
    i'm wondering which of the new exercises you would personally recommend? i did barbell hack squats today and they are my new favorite!! never done them before but i love them now. anyway, if i like the originals (i.e. barbell rows and flys etc) do you think i should still change them?
    Personally - I stuck on this program for almost 3 years....YES three years straight and made incredible gains. That's why I swear by it (that will be in my biography that I'm putting together). The only thing I changed here and there were some of the arm exercises as my tri's always grew super easy but my bi's always needed more work. I would do spider curls and preacher curls quite a bit AFTER barbell curls and I would add in some close grip bench press from time to time as I LOVE that exercise.

If you like it the way it is then stick to it (and I think dips, bent barbell rows, barbell curls, standing barbell shoulder press should ALWAYS be done IMO - flyes could be changed from flat to incline however right).......but after 3 months on the original program and during this next 2 month phase have a little fun and switch a few things up here and there to keep the mind fresh and the body guessing more then anything else. The 2 month phase is NOT a slacker stage....still go balls out and the BIG THREE and make gains on those in weight but if you want to add in those barbell hack squats then do them, if you want to switch arms exercises or shoulder exercises AFTER barbell curls or AFTER standing barbell shoulder press....then do them like maybe adding on some side raises here and there.....when those 2 months are up you'll be right back into the meat & potatoes original H.O.S.S madness LOL

Keep the questions coming guys!!! Summer is almost here and I want to hear how you're freaking people out
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

I love this program...my numbers seem to go up every week...love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    Personally - I stuck on this program for almost 3 years....YES three years straight and made incredible gains. That's why I swear by it (that will be in my biography that I'm putting together). The only thing I changed here and there were some of the arm exercises as my tri's always grew super easy but my bi's always needed more work. I would do spider curls and preacher curls quite a bit AFTER barbell curls and I would add in some close grip bench press from time to time as I LOVE that exercise.

If you like it the way it is then stick to it (and I think dips, bent barbell rows, barbell curls, standing barbell shoulder press should ALWAYS be done IMO - flyes could be changed from flat to incline however right).......but after 3 months on the original program and during this next 2 month phase have a little fun and switch a few things up here and there to keep the mind fresh and the body guessing more then anything else. The 2 month phase is NOT a slacker stage....still go balls out and the BIG THREE and make gains on those in weight but if you want to add in those barbell hack squats then do them, if you want to switch arms exercises or shoulder exercises AFTER barbell curls or AFTER standing barbell shoulder press....then do them like maybe adding on some side raises here and there.....when those 2 months are up you'll be right back into the meat & potatoes original H.O.S.S madness LOL

Keep the questions coming guys!!! Summer is almost here and I want to hear how you're freaking people out
    the few variations i have done i like, they all work so well together in the whole program.
    i think the next two months will be better than the first three. now i have my form and power down pretty well and i am excited to use it to move more weight. since i didnt make huge improvements on that before.
    i could ask questions and pick your brain all day, i just dont want to be annoying. i might as well learn as much as i can though, right?
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

.i could ask questions and pick your brain all day, i just dont want to be annoying. i might as well learn as much as i can though, right?
    Ask away young grasshopper LOL
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

where to begin?....
    eventually i would like to get into strongman (i obviously need more strength and experience) do you think it would be good to practice certain events at this stage? things like farmers walk, yolk, log press, and basics that could be easily put together at one's house.

where to begin?....
    eventually i would like to get into strongman (i obviously need more strength and experience) do you think it would be good to practice certain events at this stage? things like farmers walk, yolk, log press, and basics that could be easily put together at one's house.
    if you can practice away. stones especially.
    my strongman training
    Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabear View Post
    if you can practice away. stones especially.
    really? you think stones? i thought that would be more advanced. everything about it (strongman) seems like it would be the ultimate workout, ultimate strength and size builder.

really? you think stones? i thought that would be more advanced. everything about it (strongman) seems like it would be the ultimate workout, ultimate strength and size builder.
    it will test you. but you have to get used to doing stones. find someone near you and give it a try before investing.
    my strongman training
    Handle every situation like a Dog.If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

My personal advice would be to keep lifting on the basics, the H.O.S.S Training Program is great, and put the feelers out in your area to see if anyone has some strongman equipment. I wouldn't go out of your way to buy any, as it can be very expensive and hard to find anyway. A lot of the equipment starts out at some pretty heavy weights too so just get your lifts up with H.O.S.S program and in a year or so you'll be ready to kickass. Just for example, most sets of atlas stones start around 220lbs and go up to over 400lbs, a 220lbs stone is pretty hard to lift if you're not deadlifting over 315lbs IMO - others may disagree. The Super Yoke I have is 240lbs unloaded - pretty heavy again....and my metal log is 150lbs unloaded. Just get your lifts up and you'll be ready.

You could start working on your grip strength however by not using wrist wraps when possible and grab some "hand crushers". Core stability is also VERY important and the H.O.S.S program is helping with that (squats, deads, standing presses, stiff legs etc) but you could start throwing in some hyper extensions and good mornings (start light) and upper/lower ab work here and there (weighted crunches & hanging leg raises) at the end of workouts. When you're ready to start strongman training cardio is also VERY important believe it or not. I've seen HULKs crumple during a medley event or truck pull cause their cardio sucked LOL

One step at a time bro!!!
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

do you think it would be good to push barbell presses earlier in the workout or keep it as is? i know that is important.

heman...very good o nthe stones. the advice i received was you need to deadlift at least 500lbs to do the whole set.

tgc...are you wanting to train for strongman specifically? and where are your lifts now? it would be a total different program if you included strongman lifts.
    my strongman training

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast