Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: THE HARDCORE GYM REGISTRY

Quote Originally Posted by John Romano View Post
    The UK rules!! Some of the toughest mofos come out of the UK. Mad respect.
    Cheers for that John. You're bang on. Yates, Clairmonte, Beckles, Marillier, JD and Eddie Abbew plus new pro Troy Brown. All proper warriors in the gym.

Shame the weather's so shit and the country is run by complete cunts.

Hey I ned a hook up in my town. WINNIPEG MANITOBA,CANADA , i hav been home training for years....have yet to find a HARD CORE GYM .. think i should mov ..lol
    Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Ok now that we know there are hardcore gyms around....

Do you want your hardcore gym to become more "open" to the public? Does being mainstream mean that your gym cannot be classed as "hard core" ?

If find it interesting in that the great physiques that everyone wants are usually developed in a "tough training" gym (regardless of the type of equipement free weight vs machines) but then people go out and join a "fitness centre" where there is little expertise. So how did the fitness centre industry get their message across to consumers that they can do NOTHING and yet get a hot bod?

Beach Body

I wish I could give the location of mine but my friends probably wouldnt appreciate unwanted attention. But its in san diego ca. A 5 minute walk from my house. No air conditioning. 3 rooms of weights and a few rooms for other stuff. Real basic. Old machines but not to old. Dumbells only up to 130 but we make it work. There is nobody in there and people work out without shirts and shoes sometimes. the greatest thing though, is this old lady that comes in and I sware she hits the iron. Maybe not a lot of weight...but she is doing full workouts. Ive seen her doing squats more often than some of my friends.
    In the summer its hot as hell in there but at least the muscles are always warm. Ive gone to the 24 hr fitness places, the LA fitness but its the smaller gyms where i can concentrate and get the job done.

Powerhouse Gym
    1626 Bronxdale
    bronx,ny

Nga Azarian- Photographer CanonGirl's Avatar

Gold's Gym in North Hollywood CA
    6233 Laurel Canyon Blvd

On any given day, you can see Hulk Hogan, Melvin Anthony, Albert Beckles, and others working out there.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer4Life View Post
    Layne, do you know if it was the Elk River location? There are two other GYM's in Minnesota, so just checking? Also, what was your experience like there? Did you like it?
    yea I did. I don't know which one it was to be honest. I know that there was a guy named Kevin who trained there & he went to Jr. Nationals last year and did well.

-Layne
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

I don't know how I could have forgotten

The Pit Barbell Club
    400 EDGAR St
    Evansville, IN 47710 (812) 422-0617

BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by GHGut View Post
    In the NY area the best include...

Steve and Bev's Powerhouse Gym

Strong and Shapely across the river in NJ

Olympia Gym on Fresh Pond Road in Queens, NY

Coliseum Gym in Middle Village, NY

and less we forget, but this one is a memory,
    Zinn's Muscle Factory,
    20,000 square feet in his Ridgewood location for $99 a year.
    In NY, you gotta mention JD's Health Club in Bohemia. It's parked in an industrial park way off the main drag and has tons of nautilus machines, ab blasters and all the old red TDS machines. With all the pics of all the old pros and personalized memorabilia it drips of hardcore nostalgia. Pics outside the Gold's in CA (the old one) and trophies galore.

Once I get back into shape I'll be joining up and I'll ask JD if I can take some pics for the site.

located in orange county ca no other gym like it in orange county period!
    VALENTINO OF THE WEST COAST!

Banned

HEY JOHN I SAW YOU QUOTED PROUST THIS MONTH ON MD
    THAT MIGHT BE THE FIRST TIME ANYBODY QUOTED PROUST IN A BB MAGAZINE LOL!

Banned

It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body.
    Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by 1400total View Post
    Iron Pit
    Leechburg PA

I trained at this gym for a months this past summer. With my busy schedule I had a hard time getting workouts in. But then a fellow powerlifter told me about this place. Although 60 miles from my home, I would train there at least 4 times a week.

Leechburg has seen its better days and is downtown is about the size of a city block. Iron Pit, is on the main drag. There is a sign over a door reading "Gym"
    Its a key club, so once you join you have 24 hour access. You open the door and descend down the steps into a one room basement gym. If you want a mental picture think DOrian's Temple gym. Dumbells go up to 175 lbs. Several power racks, leg press that can hold 2000lbs, One piece of hammer equipement, barely any cables, lots of benches and incline benches ect ect. I have gotten some of my best workouts there. Sometimes at 4:00 am!!!!

One time I was training there and water from somewhere upstairs was dripping on us. We didn't even care! The bathroom is an adventure unto itself.
    The guys that train there are super hardcore and powerful.
    There is one picture or actually collage of bodybuilders and powerlifters hanging up. Otherwise there are several pics of the hottest women in the fitness industry.

Its truely hardcore.

i knew there have to be at least one small PA town in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNPENA NMT View Post
    It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body.
    Marcel Proust

Marcel is the bomb! I like to throw out stuff like that to see who is paying attention. PM me your maling addy and I'll send yo an MD tee shirt!

Banned

SENT !

Niagara Superfitness in Niagara Falls (Canadian side - formerly Gold's Gym) has bells up to 200 in 10 pound increments (5 lb increments up to 130 or so) and lets you train the way you want even though there aren't really a lot of serious bodybuilders there. The people who aren't "hardcore" don't seem to have a problem with the people that are unlike many other gyms around.

Talking

I think the name of the gym was called "Titan's Gym"...on an old wooden crooked sign off the side of a road heading to one of the main resort areas in Antigua...this gym was in a very "local" part of the island, very poor, probably not so safe but nobody bothered me. I went there cause my hotel gym sucked...this place was small....very small..maybe 2000 sq ft...but packed with about 10-12 guys (and a couple of girls) training hardcore...whole place was basically free weights...if it was 90 degrees outside it must have been about 105 degrees inside at about 6 pm...i sweat about 10 lbs of water out but had a great workout, I pushed myself because everyone around me were pushing themselves...the atmosphere became a bit more competitive when i showed up i think...lol...but everyone was very respectful & curtious, they respected my training intensity(and i respected theirs).....kinda fun having people stare too, you pretend to ignore it and just be blinded by the loud music in your headphones but you know people are watching you, they must have been thinking "who is this crazy looking white boy?" lol....but it was just a cool vibe really......it was like back in high school in your buddies garage...isn't that really what its all about??....I've never been there but that's what makes a place like Metroflex so incredible...i mean from the videos of that place make it looks like a hole in the wall...but it's hard f^*king core!!!....I opened my gym thinking it was going to be something it wasn't...I wanted the cool place that had the best stuff where i could train all day anytime i want...funny, it doesn't end up that way....the realization hits you at some point that it's a business, it's all about money...even if you're not, the bills make you be about money...it's a market where the BIG Corporations swallow up gyms that aren't "progressive" enough.....meanwhile what are they??...what has fitness come to??.. ...My gym in NY is called Power Fitness...it caters to everyone, fat, thin, young, old, male female, all fitness types...we play good upbeat motivating music...place has a good vibe...oh and by the way, although Power Fitness isn't the more hardcore gym in the world, it is THE most motivational....with over 400 quotes on the walls, floors and ceilings of the gym you can't escape the positive energy that surrounds the facility...it's truly a place guided by good forces and friendly spirits.....it's the most unique gym you will ever see!...It's an upscale place with a hardcore element mixed in...it's unique....sorry i veered off the subject a bit.......well this way when you make a thread for most motivational i already have my response for it posted...lol. plus a little bit of self promotion never hurt anyone, right??

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast