Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: how often do you train each bodypart?

Voters
680. You may not vote on this poll
  • once per week

448 65.88%
  • twice per week

232 34.12%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How often to train each bodypart?!?!?

Twice a week, low volume, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJP View Post
    I only weight train on weekends so every body part is hit directly every two weeks. Because of this, exercise selection is important for me.

For example I directly train Chest on one weekend and Tris on another. Since of course your tris are also stimulated on any pressing movement, they are still getting worked even though I won't directly train them for another week. On Tri day (the following weekend), I do close grip bench press and dips which also hit chest. In that way I avoid any overlap yet still indirectly stimulate muscles I haven't worked since the prior week.

It's not ideal but it fits my schedule. Furthermore, I haven't lost any strength in 3 or 4 years doing this and many of my lifts continue to improve.
    Weekend warrior, eh?

What's your job?

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by mugshot View Post
    i use to do everything twice a week
    but now i just something like this
    chest
    back
    arms
    legs
    shoulders
    off
    off

This is exactly what I do. Except i swuitched day 1 and 2. I get an amazing chest workout the day after back. At 38, and doing HIT training, this works best for me......I am still able to grow and get get stronger each week. I have no cripping fatigue and croinic sleep lose anymore.
    You know.......if you started saving your money today.......in a year or so....you could afford that sense of humor you so desparately need.

vargasty

If you are getting 72 hours rest between training the same body part, you are good. Some people like twice a week, others make solid gains 1x a week but studies show the muscles are fully recovered after 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by vargasty View Post
    If you are getting 72 hours rest between training the same body part, you are good. Some people like twice a week, others make solid gains 1x a week but studies show the muscles are fully recovered after 72 hours.
    vargasty, i think that training volume takes a big role in this. a lot of the studied you refer to only use low volume (most times it utilizes only one exercise for a muscle group). i don't think there has been an expansive study on a full-blown training regimen (I could be wrong, though). But I do feel that the more you "beat up" a muscle, the longer it will take for that muscle group to repair itself.

personally, i have tried the 2x a week thing and, as was mentioned earlier, i didn't gain any mass until i not only switched to a 1x a week scheme, but a very particular 1x a week scheme (Legs, Chest/Tris, Rest, Back/Bis, Shoulders, Rest, Rest). This yielded the greatest results for me personally.

vargasty

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldru View Post
    vargasty, i think that training volume takes a big role in this. a lot of the studied you refer to only use low volume (most times it utilizes only one exercise for a muscle group). i don't think there has been an expansive study on a full-blown training regimen (I could be wrong, though). But I do feel that the more you "beat up" a muscle, the longer it will take for that muscle group to repair itself.

personally, i have tried the 2x a week thing and, as was mentioned earlier, i didn't gain any mass until i not only switched to a 1x a week scheme, but a very particular 1x a week scheme (Legs, Chest/Tris, Rest, Back/Bis, Shoulders, Rest, Rest). This yielded the greatest results for me personally.
    If you consider 12-15 sets low, then I guess so. Personally, I like to hit everything with 4-5 exercises for a total of 20 sets. I do think it has to do with how hard you hit the muscle but the body will adapt. I remember playinf football and the first week I was always sore then afterwards, I got use to it. I just find it funny how all the old school bodybuilders hit the muscle with such high volume/freaquency and they were still able to progress with 1/10 of the drugs today.

I'm running a 3 day split but lift 4 days a week, so each week one group gets hit 2x a week. So, I hit everything 3x's in 2 weeks

1 - chest, shoulder, tri
    2 - Biceps, forearms, back
    3 - Legs

I hit abs on cardio days which are wed and sat or if I have extra time at the end of my workout which turns out to about 1 extra day a week

Quote Originally Posted by teddy788 View Post
    I'm running a 3 day split but lift 4 days a week, so each week one group gets hit 2x a week. So, I hit everything 3x's in 2 weeks

1 - chest, shoulder, tri
    2 - Biceps, forearms, back
    3 - Legs

I hit abs on cardio days which are wed and sat or if I have extra time at the end of my workout which turns out to about 1 extra day a week
    biceps befor back?forearms on the same day as back? grip will fail easy when forearms on the same day as back,unless u hit back light.

or u use straps, as it removes bicep and forearm involvment.
    Turn the other cheek and I'll break your fucking chin.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    or u use straps, as it removes bicep and forearm involvment.
    it won't remove bicep and forearm completly

THANK GOD U CAME, I HAD NO IDEA! and maybe teddy is prioritizing his biceps/forearms, or possibly, just didnt list his bodyparts chronologically.

Quote Originally Posted by red barraca View Post
    it won't remove bicep and forearm completly
    It won't remove them at all. It will place less stress on the forearms, but straps have zero impact on biceps.

i disagree. I find that using straps removes a majority of my bicep involvment in rows pulldowns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebny View Post
    i disagree. I find that using straps removes a majority of my bicep involvment in rows pulldowns etc.
    They're supposed to be put on the hands/wrists--not biceps.

shit, i knew something was wrong.

Well, i've only been lifting for about a year, I've been doing this split for the last 2 months and beating my notebook every day. Right now i'm not to the point where I'm pulling the gargantuan weights where my grip is killing me. I can feel it during my last set of deadlifts without a doubt, but I only do one exerciese for each muscle group that way i'm allowing them to rest and grow. Working on a DC training style right now and so far i'm getting good results from it. When I'm done trying to cut, and switch back into growth mode at the end of the summer I may break out the split to one day per body part. But so far, so good. I've dropped over 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks while still gaining strength on all of my lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by laskerja View Post
    trying to see what other people do. I am on a diet....dont know if it matters just throwing it out there.
    We're talking training here, but I hit one muscle (minus synergy) once per week at maximum intensity.

Everyone is different.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast