Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: how often do you train each bodypart?

Voters
680. You may not vote on this poll
  • once per week

448 65.88%
  • twice per week

232 34.12%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: How often to train each bodypart?!?!?

Lieutenant

Ahh foremanrules, great sig link!

Once a week, by the time the muscle group has finally got over the soreness it is time to hit it again next week!

My clothes are tighter, and I put on about 4 lbs. I don't measure, all I can go by is the mirror and my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by SmallTownMuscle View Post
    Twice a week, but I listen to my body. I never train a bodypart that is still sore from a previous workout.

word....i'm the same way..i was doing twice a week hard and heavy during a PH cycle..great gains..felt like a monster..then my body said "hey!! i need rest"...so i gave it a week off..hit it hard this past monday and maxed out on the bench at 315..did back today and pounded the pull ups...so..whatever you do..listen to your body...don't over train it or you'll plateau out or even worse, injur yourself.

Default Full body workouts?

Have any of you more advanced lifters experimented with full body workouts? I was doing a routine for awhile that I came up with to accommodate 2-3 hour MMA training sessions on Tues and Thurs. At the same time I was also doing roofing full time. I couldn't be extremely sore during the week so I ended up doing.

Mon - Full body workout- snatches 4-5 sets, chins or bent rows 3 sets

Wends - Chest, shoulders, triceps 3-4 sets each

Fri - Deadlifts 4-5 sets, legs 3-4 sets

I also did some other isolation exercises when I felt like it and of course received some stimulation during sparing. I would go close to failure but never to the point where I was really sore except for my Friday workout. I didn't gain much muscle 5 pounds in 6 months or so but my strength really went up following this routine.

I hurt my foot about 2 months ago and have been unable to do MMA though I hope to be getting back to it soon, so have since been doing a more standard once a week body building routine. I have noticed a bit more size and definition but to be honest have not really gained as much strength as I thought I would considering I am doing almost no cardio now.

So this is a pretty long winded but I am considering going back to something similar or even just 3 full body per week but with more isolation moves added in for more complete development. Maybe 20 sets to cover the whole body but 3X per week.

Has anyone tried something like this? I am interested in body building as well as powerlifting and MMA.

it's take awhile for me to recover from my workouts. so i train each body part about every 6-7 days.

Time Out

Quote Originally Posted by villan View Post
    twice on gear once off gear
    same here

Back when I was younger I could get away with twice a week, now once.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Depends on the program's overall design... too many variables to consider. The best answer for someone trying to gain muscle is as many times as possible to keep getting a training affect.

Retrain too soon and you won't allow enough recovery for growth - and you may overreach and subsequently overtrain. Retrain too late and you'll miss the peak compensation from the training stimulus and hit a return back to previous fitness levels.

Factors to consider: training volume, intensity, dietary changes, rest, muscle group architecture (size and fiber composition), genetic abilities...
    Exactly...
    Training "gurus" LOL!!!

Dedicated Noob

Once a week. I just can't recover in time to work the same muscle twice a week.

once for major muscle groups , twice or more for anciliary or lagging but less reps/sets ( arms , calves , abs etc )

Once a week now. Used to do a full-body every 3rd day or so. Now I do:
    Mon: Back/Shoulders/abs
    Tues: HIIT Cardio (20 min, tread or bike)
    Wed: Chest/Arms/abs
    Thur: HIIT Cardio (20 min, tread or bike)
    Fri: Legs
    Sat: Off
    Sun: Off

I used to do cardio every day I wasn't doing weights, and working out every day. I've had to be disciplined about cutting back (esp with the cardio) and I am getting stronger and somewhat bigger for it. (Still not nearly putting up the numbers most guys are on here). Btw, I'm 38, 5'9, 180, trying to get to 170, but better lean mass, etc.

I believe in always training differently. One week is never the same usually. I use the method of giving the muscle a clear 48hrs of recovery after that I can hit it again.One day full rest per week. I go and do two a days and all that for a total of 3 weeks- after this I take one full week of rest and recovery just eating, sleeping, stretching, yoga and some walking in the morning. This is when my body grows.

After 2 weeks your dead and the third seems to never end but the fourth totally rejuvenates me and I grow. By the fith week I cant think of anything else but tearin through a gym 2times a day. If my body needs more time I give it.

I know my body and have been training very hard for yrs. I dont know very many others that can stick wit this program. Different strokes for different folks.

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

1 set, 1 bodypart every 6 days.......

my.02

I TRAIN EACH BODYPART ONCE A WEEK. IF I HAVE A LACKING BODYPART I WILL HIT IT 6 TIMES A MONTH VERSUS 4 FOR OTHER BODYPARTS. "REST IS SO VERY VERY IMPORTANT GUYS" UNLESS YOU ARE ON THE GEAR! THEN TRAIN EACH BODYPART MORE THEN USUALLY DO.

i go twice one week then switch next week so 1 week i'll hit chest 2x and and back/bi/legs 1x and then it'll switch

I focus on raw poundages, and this is the best way for me IMO. low volume

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast