Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How many working sets do you perform per body part?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2-4

103 24.41%
  • 5-8

85 20.14%
  • 9-14

148 35.07%
  • More than 15 sets

86 20.38%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Training Volume/Intensity Poll

Chest 20
    Bi's 16
    Tris 13
    Traps 9
    Quads 13
    Hams 8
    Shoulders 20
    Lats 20
    Calves 12

All sets are piramided up starting at 15-10-8-6

1 set rest-paused. You could argue this is really 3 sets with an extremely short rest period if you want. That's it. On body parts that I don't RP, it's 2 regular sets.
    Official DC Training DVD available here: www.jasonwojo.com/dvd.html

I do moderate to high volume usually 14-20 sets large and 10-14 small and i do some sort of intensity technique on every exercise performed (drop sets, forced reps, negatives, super sets) and most sets taken to failure.

But I say if it works for you and you grow...then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    I takes you two hours to do 24 sets. Sounds like you are not working hard enough to me.

Yesterday I did 15 sets of back and 10 sets of triceps, I was done is 55 minutes.

trust me, I have trained with this guy and he works plenty hard enough. Did you read the part where he said it includes all his warm ups and stretching?

Spotter

For larger bodyparts like legs and back I don't see anything wrong with doing 15+ sets for, but for biceps and triceps it just doesn't make sense to me. I incorporate my back/bicep workout together so I usually only do 7-8 sets for biceps because their already smoked.
    I noticed a lot of people on this on here like volume training(25+sets) seems excessive.

Dedicated Noob CorvetteMuscle69's Avatar

....I don't dwell in the volume world anymore. After I started trying the Dorian way(a good warm up or two and let those muscles have it with all you got) I've made lot's of improvment not only with muscular development but with raw strength. I wish I would've been doing this since I started a long time ago. But I guess it's what ever suits the person working out.....Others take to 1-3 working sets while other take to 15+ sets. You gotta find out for yourself.

Banned

Jay Cutler does around 20 working sets for each group.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman69 View Post
    Jay Cutler does around 20 working sets for each group.

At Least. I don't think most people can train that way though. Jay has incredible genetics, his body could pretty much recover from anything so he might as well do tons of sets.
    Up the dose, Lift the most!!!

Not to mention the steroids and whatever else Cutler is on. Not some sort of slam against steroid users, but that's sure going to help with recovery a hell of a lot more than genetics. Anyway, a few months ago I started doing Arthur Jones styled HIT training. Full body workouts 3 times a week of 1-3 sets per body part to failure. I've been getting much better results and consistent strength gains this way. I've also added 15 pounds of muscle in the last month since I just got a gym membership and I've been able to workout my legs effectively for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Womanthrower View Post
    Not to mention the steroids and whatever else Cutler is on. Not some sort of slam against steroid users, but that's sure going to help with recovery a hell of a lot more than genetics. Anyway, a few months ago I started doing Arthur Jones styled HIT training. Full body workouts 3 times a week of 1-3 sets per body part to failure. I've been getting much better results and consistent strength gains this way. I've also added 15 pounds of muscle in the last month since I just got a gym membership and I've been able to workout my legs effectively for the first time.

Hmmmm 15lbs of muscle in a month huh?

Mostly in my legs, but believe it or don't, I really don't care. Apparently I have great genetics in my legs, and this is the first I've been able to work them out.

It just is not physically possible for any human body to synthesize 15lbs of MUSCLE in 4 weeks. Not to mention you would have to be in a 2000 Calorie SURPLUS each day for a month in order to provide your body with the raw material to build that muscle if it was even possible.

There have been many documented casses of the human body gaining that much muscle in a month, and that calorie figure sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me. The quads and hams are pretty ridiculously large muscles. Is it really so hard to believe it's so easy to add muscle to them when they've never been trained before and you have the genetics for it?

Spent the previous year on mod - high volume. Switching to high intensity low volume. I should know pretty quick (within a couple of months) if I like it or not.

IMO, everything if done constistantly pretty much works (except severe overtraining) when paired with the proper diet. It is good to mix it up.

Banned

dieting: 6(biceps) - 10(back, legs)

growing 8 - 12

I incorporate drop sets and forced reps on the last sets of exercises when it feels like it is needed, instinctual training I guess you could say

Dedicated Noob

High-intensity to me is the only way to go. I always try to make it through a set but those forced reps at the end really work my body out. What i usually do is work out two separate body parts in one workout so when i work out one muscle group to extreme exhaustion at high intensity, low reps, i switch to the other muscle group. I do that cycle twice per workout usually. It is exhausting, but i get the most out of my workout.

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    I takes you two hours to do 24 sets. Sounds like you are not working hard enough to me.

Yesterday I did 15 sets of back and 10 sets of triceps, I was done is 55 minutes.
    Absolutely - I'm in and out in under 1 hour...always have been even when I powerlifted. Now strongman workouts took 2 hours but we trained with 4-5 guys on Sundays and you need a LOT of rest between 1000lb tire flips and 350lbs atlas stone lifts LOL

You don't grow in the gym - you grow when you're out of the gym!!!
    FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast