Thread: Lot's more bruising new pec tear pics

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

so you had surgery? how did it go?
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

No Monday is surgery, but I've already been in a sling.
    I do the pre-op tomorrow morning.

good luck bro.
    Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachizzle View Post
    No Monday is surgery, but I've already been in a sling.
    I do the pre-op tomorrow morning.
    that is odd the medical journels i read on muscle injury seem to show that immobilization of the injury makes it worse if you haven't had surgery... but it may have something to do with the hematoma
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

right now I just mainly wear it when I sleep, cause I got the Jimmy Arms. And I hate to wake up my wife with my screaming after I just got my arm in a weird position.
    Curious to know why immobilization makes it worse.

Suturing versus immobilization of a muscle laceration. A morphological and functional study in a mouse model.Menetrey J, Kasemkijwattana C, Fu FH, Moreland MS, Huard J.
    Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA.

Muscle laceration remains a difficult problem for orthopaedic surgeons. Despite many studies related to the muscle's ability to regenerate after muscle degeneration, very few reports are available regarding structural and functional recovery after skeletal muscle laceration. We developed an animal model of muscle laceration in mice, where the gastrocnemius muscles were reproducibly transected. We compared the effect of a surgical repair versus a short period of immobilization (5 days) on the muscle healing. The natural course of muscle recovery was monitored at several points after injury using histologic, immunohistochemical, and functional testing. In the injured muscle, we observed a high number of regenerating myofibers and development of fibrotic scar tissue. Suturing the lacerated muscle immediately after injury promoted better healing of the injured muscle and prevented the development of deep scar tissue in the lacerated muscle; conversely, immobilization resulted in slower muscle regeneration and the development of a large area of scar tissue. Tetanus strength 1 month after injury was 81% of control muscles for the sutured muscles, 35% for the lacerated muscles with no treatment, and 18% for the immobilized muscles. Based on this study, suturing a muscle laceration with a modified Kessler stitch results in the best morphologic and functional healing.
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

So did my pre-op today. I'll be having surgery Monday morning and stay in the hospital until Tuesday.
    Layne did you stay overnight?
    Doctor Prisk has told me that he is going to run these pics in the mag. And then do a follow up once I'm all well.
    So, I'm pretty happy about that.
    Layne are there any supplements you recommend to hasten the repairing of the muscle tissue?

Layne- do you know anything about the success of fixing a torn pec after a few years instead of right when u tear it?

Quote Originally Posted by hulk7280 View Post
    Layne- do you know anything about the success of fixing a torn pec after a few years instead of right when u tear it?
    tony freeman waited 5 years to have his fixed and there are several documented cases of people getting it fixed even 10 years later... you just have to find a skilled surgeon. you are in chicago right? i can give you my doc's contact info in bradley
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Zachizzle View Post
    So did my pre-op today. I'll be having surgery Monday morning and stay in the hospital until Tuesday.
    Layne did you stay overnight?
    Doctor Prisk has told me that he is going to run these pics in the mag. And then do a follow up once I'm all well.
    So, I'm pretty happy about that.
    Layne are there any supplements you recommend to hasten the repairing of the muscle tissue?
    Xtend: got bcaas & citrulline which both stimulate protein synthesis. HMB will also be useful as it has been shown to reduce atrophy during immobilization. 4 weeks after surgery I'm only down 2 lbs. keep your diet as spot on as possible
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    tony freeman waited 5 years to have his fixed and there are several documented cases of people getting it fixed even 10 years later... you just have to find a skilled surgeon. you are in chicago right? i can give you my doc's contact info in bradley
    No.. im in florida!

why did i think chicago lol. sorry man. I would search around
    BioLayne LLC
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Layne for some reason I've been thinking it's been several months since your tear. When exactly was it? And what is reverse band bench press? Are you eating a pre-contest type diet or an off season diet?

I submitted your pics with my July article which was due yesturday! Best wishes with surgery.

Take advantage of the time to get lean or build freaky legs!

Keep your protein high and stick with layne's advice... BCAAs--Leucine/HMB, etc...

Dedicated Noob

Hey Bro- good luck on your surgery. I had my surgery months ago. Tore the tendon of the bone- the muscle off the tendon and the muscle in half- I did it good lol.
    Pain after surgery is bad bro- make sure you crash the first night in a lazyboy chair-I didnt- laid flat (not thinking) when I had to get up I about died-
    Make sure to stay in your sling and dont try to do anything to fast- listen to your surgeon and be extra compliant-make sure not to flex your pec at all- wait until surgeon tells you- the flexion cna casue extra stress and delay healing.
    Also dont try to lift to soon- wait until insertion is healed- i wasnt allowed to do legs becasue of the degree of tear and my Surgeon and Therapist didnt want any extra stress- I was out for 4 months before I could start- really hard-
    Went to therapy for couple of months and started lifting entire body last month.

Take care bro- heal fast and any questions give me a PM

Thanks Physiqueartist.
    Having posted for a few days cause the damn Germans cut of my internet connection for a few days. Hence all the hype as to my death.
    Doc said he had to get his hand down into my chest pretty good and pull out a hematoma the size of a softball. He said the tearing to the muscle was pretty severe, but that I should heal fine. Go back to see him tomorrow, so I'll learn more. I'm able to take my arm out of the sling a couple times a day to move my elbow and wrist around, but no movement of the shoulder is allowed. With his permissision I hope to be back in the gym training clients next week and doing some leg extentions and calf raises and maybe ride the bike.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and look for my photos in Dr. Prisk's section in the July issue of MD.

got the dressing removed today. Incision is about 5 inches. It was bigger than the doc thought, but he said he had to put his whole had inside my chest to clear out the hematoma. He said it was about worst case scenario, but everything looks much better. Just the fact that no tendon tore and so much muscle tore caused all the blood and swelling. He said another week and my chest would have never looked the same again, so we got it in time. Starting back next week doing a little lower body work to bring up my weak legs. lol

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast