Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fast 40

Default fast 40

i play o line and i need my 40 to go down what is the best way to get this to happen
    thanks

i play o-line as well and the best way to get it up is what i did, boxes, cleans, and run, do sprints shit like that

im 270lbs and ran my 40 in a 5.1
    Starting a new chapter...

I know I keep saying this when it comes to speed and vertical but plyometrics is the best I belive and it does take time off your 40, have a look about on the net there are a few systems you can try, JumpSoles, Air Alert II etc.

Good luck champ.

jumpsoles are a terrible idea. contact a proven strength coach in your area to teach you proper ways to increase explosiveness and power. check out charlespoliquin.net

Quote Originally Posted by justin rules View Post
    i play o line and i need my 40 to go down what is the best way to get this to happen
    thanks
    i'm 330 right now and my 40 was just clocked at 5.01/5.04/5.04

Squats/shuttles/sprints. Practice w/ a friend or a couple, just keep timing yourselves every week my man!

GeorgeForemanRules

Read Mike Boyles "The Myth of speed" if you want to see real pro 40 stats. His training advice is also the best in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    Read Mike Boyles "The Myth of speed" if you want to see real pro 40 stats. His training advice is also the best in the world.

I'd have to disagree. Anyone who is looking for speed gains for sport training should go to Charlie Francis. His forum will be your best bet to get on a good plan for a football player looking to better their 40 time. There is no way anyone could answer this question by just hearing an inquiry. You need to know, age, past and current workout plans, goals, work capacity, height, weight, genetic make up, position played, and if possible see a video clip of running technique.

www.charliefrancis.com

Good luck with your 40 time goals.

also Joe Defranco does a lot of combine prep work for a lot of guys entering the NFL Draft. Try his site too.

www.defrancostraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by joshbarnett View Post
    jumpsoles are a terrible idea. contact a proven strength coach in your area to teach you proper ways to increase explosiveness and power. check out charlespoliquin.net
    Poliquin is a good guy too to reference. I really believe in Jay Schroeder but he's not the easiest guy to access info from. Correct josh, jumpsoles are a horrible idea and should be avoided. Many other better things that can improve your vertical and speed than that.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.S.M. View Post
    I'd have to disagree. Anyone who is looking for speed gains for sport training should go to Charlie Francis. His forum will be your best bet to get on a good plan for a football player looking to better their 40 time. There is no way anyone could answer this question by just hearing an inquiry. You need to know, age, past and current workout plans, goals, work capacity, height, weight, genetic make up, position played, and if possible see a video clip of running technique.

Good luck with your 40 time goals.

also Joe Defranco does a lot of combine prep work for a lot of guys entering the NFL Draft. Try his site too.
    Who is he? What is his education?

http://www.bodybyboyle.com/

Mike Boyle, a nationally recognized strength and conditioning coach and his highly qualified staff, has worked with the following teams and organizations:
    • The Boston Bruins (NHL)
    • The Boston Celtics (NBA)
    • The New England Revolution (MLS)
    • The Boston University Men's Hockey Team (NCAA)
    • The Boston Breakers (WUSA)
    • Boston Blazers (MLL)
    • 40 ice hockey medallists from the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics
    • Over 20 1st, 2nd and 3rd-round picks in the NFL draft
    • Multiple athletes in men's and women's World Cup Soccer and Summer Olympic Games
    • Athletes from the PGA, MLB, United States Tennis Association and World Boxing Association
    • Countless New England All-Scholastics

Spotter

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules View Post
    Who is he? What is his education?

http://www.bodybyboyle.com/

Mike Boyle, a nationally recognized strength and conditioning coach and his highly qualified staff, has worked with the following teams and organizations:
    • The Boston Bruins (NHL)
    • The Boston Celtics (NBA)
    • The New England Revolution (MLS)
    • The Boston University Men's Hockey Team (NCAA)
    • The Boston Breakers (WUSA)
    • Boston Blazers (MLL)
    • 40 ice hockey medallists from the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics
    • Over 20 1st, 2nd and 3rd-round picks in the NFL draft
    • Multiple athletes in men's and women's World Cup Soccer and Summer Olympic Games
    • Athletes from the PGA, MLB, United States Tennis Association and World Boxing Association
    • Countless New England All-Scholastics

Boyle is a great pick yes, but DeFranco has a hell of a body of work. Lets not forget that training does not HAVE to have a particular certification to be well known or knowledgable. DeFranco has a great body of work. I doubt him, Louie Simmons, or Dante (DC Training) have certificates from ASCM or NSCA, but are all top of the line trainers.

find a legit speed coach and hire him. i played wr at purdue and ran an electronic 4.42 and with a little guidance from strength coach etc i consistently ran a sub 4.4 usually around 4.37/4.38 i know all about speed training but you have to have someone physically there to ensure proper protocols.

Spotter

Also the 40 is very different than playing speed, its slightly 'manufactured'. In the 40 there are seperate areas where you have to do certain things, each with a certain form and breathing protocol, but is the same EVERY time.
    In a game there are constant adjustments reactions, ect, so just because someone has a good 40 does not always mean they will be the fastest ones on a field.

GeorgeForemanRules

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    Boyle is a great pick yes, but DeFranco has a hell of a body of work. Lets not forget that training does not HAVE to have a particular certification to be well known or knowledgable. DeFranco has a great body of work. I doubt him, Louie Simmons, or Dante (DC Training) have certificates from ASCM or NSCA, but are all top of the line trainers.
    Again what is his training experiance and education?

GeorgeForemanRules

find a legit speed coach and hire him. i played wr at purdue and ran an electronic 4.42 and with a little guidance from strength coach etc i consistently ran a sub 4.4 usually around 4.37/4.38 i know all about speed training but you have to have someone physically there to ensure proper protocols.
    Funny, the fastest 100m runners in the world run that.

I guess you are as fast as Ben Jonson and Carl Lewis, both clocked at 4.36-4.38 in the 40.

what years did you play?

foreman rules-got news for ya..top 100 meter sprinters run much faster than that lol you need to get your facts straight. if i remember correctly they had Usain Bolt timed under 4.0s deion sander ran a sub 4.2 now thats fast! my frosh year was alstott's senior year-easiest way for people to know i have always been able to run but sugashane is correct that game speed is much different when add in athletic ability, quickness, later movement etc. one of my teammates was the 100m state champ in illinois and was a terrible football player.

foreman rules-got news for ya..top 100 meter sprinters run much faster than that lol you need to get your facts straight. if i remember correctly they had Usain Bolt timed under 4.0s deion sander ran a sub 4.2 now thats fast! my frosh year was alstott's senior year-easiest way for people to know i have always been able to run but sugashane is correct that game speed is much different when add in athletic ability, quickness, later movement etc. one of my teammates was the 100m state champ in illinois and was a terrible football player.
    Do you know Jason Isley?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast