Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much protein intake is recomended?

Default How much protein intake is recomended?

Hello all,
    I would like to know for sure, since I have gathered everyone here has enough experience to answer this question. How much protein intake is recomended when dieting and weight training w/cardio?. I have been told by experts in nutrition that I am taking too much protein in. Let tell you my routine: I weight train on a empty stomach in the early morning, I take a suppliment that helps me with boosting my energy and latic acid buffering, after workout I take a 50 gram protein shake, three hours later I eat breakfest: egg whites(4 eggs), non-fat chesse, 1/4 cup mushrooms, high fiber waffles. Lunch is healthy meal frozen, low sodium, 20 grams of protein, 30 grams carbs. Next meal is the same frozen meal. Dinner is a protein shake in a can 52 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, 6 grams fat. When I get home I do a fast pace walk on a treadmill, soon I am going to be running on the the treadmill. A nutrition expert says it is too much protein for me to lose 130 lbs. My info about me is this I weigh in at 366 lbs my height is 5' 11" and my age is 48, what I need to know is this acceptable or do I need to increase or decrease protein levels. I thank you all for your time and efforft in reaqding this and giving me a resaonable answer, so I would appreciate it if I can get a response soon.

Thanks again,

Christopher A Barnard

Hey chris!
    I'm not a nutritionist, but i do have experience of nutrition and training!
    I would say that you stick with the old rule of thumb that is a basic of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and if your trying to shift the pounds while gaining muscle mass go even higher to 1 and half grams per pound of lean bodyweight while lowering the carbs to stop losing your hard earned muscle!
    This protein rule gives you a basic guide, and from there you can adjust your protein intake as you need from the results you see in the mirror!

good luck gangster!!!!

Thanks for the info, I will keep it simple like you say I should.

i usually go 30g-50g 50g is for my offseason but i play football so keeping the mass on is kindof what i need to do
    Starting a new chapter...

Quote Originally Posted by christopher a barnard View Post
    Hello all,
    Let tell you my routine: I weight train on a empty stomach in the early morning,

Christopher A Barnard
    Hey Chris,
    Why are you weight training on an empty stomach?

Hello all,
    I would like to know for sure, since I have gathered everyone here has enough experience to answer this question. How much protein intake is recomended when dieting and weight training w/cardio?

Thanks again,

Christopher A Barnard
    I max out at 1.5 Grams per Lb.

And drink water, also for the kidneys.

You're welcome, C.A.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Big ER View Post
    Hey Chris,
    Why are you weight training on an empty stomach?

X2 at least drink some protien before training..as for the 'experts' they think you should choke down piles and piles of carbs...a good way to get fat people who eat more protien are usually leaner..also the chances that you get exactly the amount of protien you need on a daily basis is very slim..either you will have a bit to much or not enough..I would rather have a bit to much...I usally stick to 1.25 grams per pound.also try and get some fresh food not frozen meals..fresh meats,vegtables,fruits.

Don't eat any more than 35-40 grams per sit down meal at a time. Your body will just either use the remainder as waste or stored as fat. Which is not what you want i'm sure and protein is not a good source of energy so as others have said before, it is definitely possible to eat way too much protein. Also eating a high protein diet while strength training can be dehydrating. Make sure you have a large glass of water with all protein intake. Will just regulate your system much better and really feed your muscles quite nicely since about 70%+ of your muscles are made up of water.

i suggest 1.5g per pound you weigh and even up to 2g per pound depending on amount of cardiovascular work being done. you gotta eat a ton of quality food to grow

NOT MORE THEN 30-40 IN ONE SITTING? AFTER MY WORKOUTS I DRINK ONE SERVING OF WHEY AND IT HAS ABOUT 50 G'S. IS THAT TO MUCH?

Default HOw much protein needed

First of all, let me say this is one of those most discussed topic on sport market. Probably depending on the fact that all scientific studies are short term, based on small population trials, and, most of all, based on something really difficult to control: nutrient and food intake. Contrary to medicine studies, where you're administering a pill or a placebo, so that you have only one variable to control, food is so complex because you can never know what people are really doing when they're home.

It's the same when it comes to protein intake: how much per puond of body weight. I would start by saying that expecially for obese or severly overweight people we should know their fat free mass bodyweight and refer to that when speaking "per puond" otherwhy it'll surely finish with overestimating the amount of protein needed.

Then i would always start by using a more conventional feeding regimen (not cutting to much carb intake, being more focused on the kind of carb that you're using and when you're ingesting them).
    From there i would make littel (for example 2-300 Kcal at time) adjustments depending on results i'm obtaining.

Last point: going high with protein (1.5-2 per puond of lean body tissue) can even be fine as long as we keep in control our kidney and liver function parameter (not eevry once in a while, but regularly). Persobally i've records of my health status taken 2-3 times a year during past 18 years while i've been constantly dieting and focusing on obtaining maximum shape in that particular moment. I've records of more than 100 people over 3-4 straight year following diets with very interesting results.

Hope to have given some tip, and interest for such important topic.

Luca Silvestrini, Italy

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by KRUMMDIDDY View Post
    NOT MORE THEN 30-40 IN ONE SITTING? AFTER MY WORKOUTS I DRINK ONE SERVING OF WHEY AND IT HAS ABOUT 50 G'S. IS THAT TO MUCH?
    I drink 60 per workout. and works fine

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.S.M. View Post
    Don't eat any more than 35-40 grams per sit down meal at a time. Your body will just either use the remainder as waste or stored as fat. Which is not what you want i'm sure and protein is not a good source of energy so as others have said before, it is definitely possible to eat way too much protein. Also eating a high protein diet while strength training can be dehydrating. Make sure you have a large glass of water with all protein intake. Will just regulate your system much better and really feed your muscles quite nicely since about 70%+ of your muscles are made up of water.

depends. Cause I do 2 hours gym and 2 hours swimming a day. I have to eat more protein than that or else im screwed. but carbs are better source of energy

Forum Leader: Computers/Video Games Nick D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jorgegarate View Post
    depends. Cause I do 2 hours gym and 2 hours swimming a day. I have to eat more protein than that or else im screwed. but carbs are better source of energy
    Welcome Jorge. Good to hear you do 2 hours of gym and 2 hours of
    swimming a day.
    Ah shucks BK is fine wit me. I'm low maintenance" Beni Mama

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    Welcome Jorge. Good to hear you do 2 hours of gym and 2 hours of
    swimming a day.
    Sarcastic? jaja thanks

GeorgeForemanRules

1 gram per LB is more than enough, and not your total body weight but just your LMB.

Hello all,
    I would like to know for sure, since I have gathered everyone here has enough experience to answer this question. How much protein intake is recomended when dieting and weight training w/cardio?. I have been told by experts in nutrition that I am taking too much protein in. Let tell you my routine: I weight train on a empty stomach in the early morning, I take a suppliment that helps me with boosting my energy and latic acid buffering, after workout I take a 50 gram protein shake, three hours later I eat breakfest: egg whites(4 eggs), non-fat chesse, 1/4 cup mushrooms, high fiber waffles. Lunch is healthy meal frozen, low sodium, 20 grams of protein, 30 grams carbs. Next meal is the same frozen meal. Dinner is a protein shake in a can 52 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, 6 grams fat. When I get home I do a fast pace walk on a treadmill, soon I am going to be running on the the treadmill. A nutrition expert says it is too much protein for me to lose 130 lbs. My info about me is this I weigh in at 366 lbs my height is 5' 11" and my age is 48, what I need to know is this acceptable or do I need to increase or decrease protein levels. I thank you all for your time and efforft in reaqding this and giving me a resaonable answer, so I would appreciate it if I can get a response soon.

Thanks again,

Christopher A Barnard
    i prefer to go with a percentage of Kcals needed. 3818 Kcals is the amount of Kcals that u need a day to maintain ur body weight. @35% of ur daily need being protien (a max rec value) would be about 334 grams of protien aday. the amount of protien that can be obsorbed at a meal depends on the individuals urea synthasis which cant really be obtained with out taking a muscle "core" sample.

now the equation i used maybe out of date due to it was a few yrs since i got it in class and i didnt kno your activity lvl. so yea just a guideline or suggestion

i would also eat a lil something, that way it would wake up ur metabolism so ur body wont be conterdictering itself with sleep and exercise. eating something small will be able to wake up ur body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast