Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Service members be bodybuilders?

Quote Originally Posted by daeagles View Post
    I could tell you that, just watch the Marnies PT is crazy compared to Navy.

We rarely PT as a group, prob 10-20 times in that 6 month window, but we do have the overweights on FEP.
    I agree completely

What bothers me though is that we have overweights, period.

(P.S. I just weighed in for the PFA, and I had to get taped because I am "Out of Standards" for the Navy's nifty little height/weight chart. I've never put a pic of myself online before, but I figure MD is a good place to start. My pic is attached, think of all the fat sloppy sailors on board ships. Then tell me if I look like I'm "Out of Standards")

I dont like having my pics out there (I am a work in progress who needs much work and much progress) so i will probably take it down in a day or two. It just irritates me to have someone tell me that "THe chart says" that I'm a fatbody.

Navy PRT standards are a joke and worthless and everyone knows it. People pass with outstanding high and still fail the tape and then you have people who are no where near failing and cant run a mile and half to save there life. I have failed 8 tapes in the last 10 years of being in the navy. I never scored once under excellent low. Just by luck I am still in the navy and its no longer an issue but back in the day I use to get pretty pissed. Nothing will piss you off more than being told you are at 33% body fat and then doing the prt and you score an outstanding.

but to the op We have a chief who competes in our office right now and has very few issues with the prt. As you age time get so slow you can almost power walk and pass the mile and half. I blieve i have something like 14:30 to do it in now and i think the next step up is 15:20. Also, anyone can submit a chit and request to be consider for special body type. Not sure what there standards are but I know they get it easier but the i hear the screen is kind of hard to get excepted for.

I wouldn't call the PRT a joke, the method of BCA sure (using a method that is +/- 7% to determine the fate of someone's career is a joke and just goes to show they are using this as a tool to lower manning to meet goal). I have failed the tape a couple of times in my career, but I'll never bitch about it - they are very clear and concrete numbers that anyone can look up and know where they stand as well as where they need to be.

As for being told you were 33% - even given worst case scenario of error - that means you were still out of standards. Sorry.
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

That was the prt I score the outstanding high in. But true, they pay for me to do what ever they say so I got on board. Either get in standards or get out was my motto for a long time and meh it work well enough.

If you decide to choose bodybuilding as a source of income, passing a PT test with a high score becomes a non-prority. The number one goal is to preserve muscle...PERIOD. I do the same thing after my people tape my waist it's pratically an automatic pass and I will trot my mile and a half run in 13:00 min or so. Sure if I didn't care about my muscle and cared about getting a high score on my pt so I could impress the naysayers the I'd run it faster..but guess what...I don't..I'm sure Leo feels the same way. And when you're on the hook to retire in the military it takes more than a failed PT test to get kicked out....especially if you're a Chief. It would take an act of Congress. At the end of the day Leo would just bust out a front double bicep and say "Look what I got...and I'm getting paid, are you?"

Someone who puts the amount of effort in that is required to be a bodybuilder is going to be ahead of their peers in most fitness areas even if they don't do military specific exercises. Take, for example, the Marine pft and the new cft (combat fitness test). Maybe I don't run quite as fast as some of the Marines, but I get my 20 pullups and 100 crunches no problem whereas a lot of them don't. In the CFT you have to move quickly with a person on your back and later while holding two thiry pound ammo cans. For somebody that does flutter kicks and pushups all day and never hits the gym, this is probably going to be pretty hard. For somebody that squats twice their bodyweight, its going to be a breeze. So to answer the question, yes; I do think that service members can be bodybuilders.

I worked at the same shipyard as Leo, and talked with him a few times. awesome guy.

Nobody's brought up the whole drug aspect yet. I mean, how can you be in a "zero-tolerance" navy and use drugs. Obviuosly due to testing procedures you can get away with it. Not making a moral judgment, just saying a military memeber is supposed to follow the UCMJ.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG]

This seems about right. hahaha

i think it all depends on what your job is.i think all military should be on a strength program.but a guy with the size of Leo will never be able to survive in my world. any light fighters ....infantry...various special operations....need a balance between endurance/strength. a guy with to much muscle mass will not be able to hump 25 or more miles a day..eating one or 2 MRE'S a day if your lucky. its just not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by soldier01 View Post
    i think it all depends on what your job is.i think all military should be on a strength program.but a guy with the size of Leo will never be able to survive in my world. any light fighters ....infantry...various special operations....need a balance between endurance/strength. a guy with to much muscle mass will not be able to hump 25 or more miles a day..eating one or 2 MRE'S a day if your lucky. its just not gonna happen.
    true
    Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    I served with Leo Ingram when I was at Pearl Harbor Shipyard. Not detracting from the man's dedication to either Bodybuilding or the Navy, but he had it rough every 6 months when it came time to do the Physical Readiness test. The man couldn't run. He barely made it in a passing time.

With that in mind should service members be hardcore bodybuilders or does that level of dedication to the sport make us less fit for our duties and the requirements placed upon us by our jobs?
    Now they approved the bike and elliptical for the run portion of the PFA. I have done stationary bike the last 3 times, and still get an excellent. I am 6ft 235 lbs.

What about all the heavy smokers who struggle with PT? No one seems to bother them.

they should ban smoking in the military

Thumbs up

Quite a few us servicemembers are bodybuilders.

On one of my earlier deployments, the base that I was deployed to had a bodybuilding competition for both men & women...

sweet bro. The NPC has the all forces contest. I am doing it next year.

I think if you can handle your workload you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. what is this shit with a stationary bike, that's not a test of your physical abilities, that is just some overweight out of shape major, or sgtmaj who doesn't want to get in shape so he figures out a way for him to cheat, and in that he has to allow everyone else to do it. I am in the USMC, and not only is our pft a 3 mile run, 20 pull ups and 100 crunches in 2 minutes, now we have a combat fitness test which is a little more demanding. I am 252lbs at 6ft and I have competed for 5 years, I can always score a high first class pft, even in my worst condition. I am also in the infantry, so I hump the 20-30-40k's with absoluty no problems, I actually push marines to keep up with me, I have gone through sf training and graduated in the top of the class, at my weight. You can be big and still keep up with the "crossfit" guys, I run four miles every other day and then do sprints on the days between.
    Just because someone decided to join the military doesnt mean they lose the right to lead whatever lifestyle they want to live, they just need to be able to perform their duties and perform them well. if they want to be a 300lb mass monster, so be it, but they better be able to carry their workload, if they want to smoke, who cares, does your boss at your civilian job say "hey you need to quite smokin or I'll fire you" when you hack up a lung? my guess is no. I am the type of guy that sees everything as a challenge, I signed the contract and now it is my duty to perform to the highest standard, I think that oughta be the attitude anyone in the service should have, on all aspects of life. if you are above average at what you do, no one will ever question your personal choices.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast